Let's see your phantom do this - add a servo sweep

Retracts came to mind for me, but the zoom idea is very interesting as I just received my gopro back with a ribcage mod and a 4.5 to 10mm lens . Now I just have to build my gimbal to carry them

Who wants to add a extra servo channel to their Solo? Nice

Here a video of it in action

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I got this from
Daniel Nugent at
Solo Servo Sweep - Hackster.io

Man I love having options to do things that I might never do.

Sorry about the low blow in the title - NOT

Any open channel will allow retracts. I did this 2 years ago on one of my Phantoms.

Any open channel will allow retracts. I did this 2 years ago on one of my Phantoms.
got me there and with no scripts.

Of course you can add retracts on a P3 as a completely seperate function, and with a separate radio/controller. You could do that to a 2X4. That isn't really the point though.

The question is, can you control the retracts using the existing radio channel, using existing controller, and using the onboard computer of the craft? With solo the answer is yes, and you can add logic in the onboard computer to control it. In fact the option bay is built for this purpose.. Not so much for the P3

So as an example, with the Solo you could program the retracts to come down automaically when the UAV is descending and within 15 fit of ground, and retract when it is ascending and higher than 15ft, or when it receives a landing command. Or it could be programmed to shut off the motors off and deploy a parachute when mutiple arrors are experienced that results in bad things (such as heading toward the ground upside down at full speed) etc. etc.

Look at the date of the video. This was one of the originally released Phantoms 2 1/2 years ago. You may remember DJI had that extra channel in there that they didn't tell anyone about. I was using the original DJI radio also.

Look at the date of the video. This was one of the originally released Phantoms 2 1/2 years ago. You may remember DJI had that extra channel in there that they didn't tell anyone about. I was using the original DJI radio also.
OK. I follow... But I still think the point (or at least an important point) is that with the Solo you can not only connect the hardware, you can configure the Pixhawk, setup Arducopter, use the controller, and use the linux computer(s) (one each on controller and Solo) to perform some intelligent control of things you add without using left over channels. The option bay is built for it.

3DR works at making this possible. DJI works at shutting it down

I hear ya... I was an avid DJI user years ago and modded everything they produced as well as corrected many of their issues. I'm looking forward to working with a Solo because it is somewhat open source. My first mod would probable be a motor upgrade as I did with my Phantoms.

Reactions: Burkeam and J R
With all this talk of retracts, Im surprized no one has posted this one up...

RETRACTS!! - Hackster.io

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
The number one use of a servo is to trigger a camera shutter. Obviously this isn't nessisary if your flying a GoPro, but for other cameras it would be essential. I'm sure we'll see an rx100 mod eventually. Then all the other stuff folks mentioned, retracts, etc.

Could the Sony cams (and some Panasonic and Canon) that have Lanc control be controlled from the pixhawk?

I hear ya... I was an avid DJI user years ago and modded everything they produced as well as corrected many of their issues. I'm looking forward to working with a Solo because it is somewhat open source. My first mod would probable be a motor upgrade as I did with my Phantoms.
Nice. Looking forward to what you come up with. Dont remeber the name (maybe you?) but someone on here was working on a "stamina kit": that involved an unerslung battery and bigger motors...

Could the Sony cams (and some Panasonic and Canon) that have Lanc control be controlled from the pixhawk?
Yes. That and the onboard Linux computer. I heard (from a reliable source) they are in talks with Red, and others. I also noticed that they have included alternate video streams (UDP port and IP address) in the Tower/Mission Planner work at GitHub, which is a prerequisite to all that. Given The Solo has IP. Serial, discrete I/O and logic on board, as well as all the data from the Pixhawk, and inputs to it... There are a lot of options...

Standard blinking or a controlled rgb?
Sorry, but I missed this post. I was thinking about blinking lights that could get power perhaps from the Solo led's so they would come on and off with Solo.
They need to be BRIGHT and visible from above & below.

Have been looking all over the net but can't find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44