Lens for GP4

Reaction score
Can someone give me some advice about the lens on GP4. I recently saw a post that showed the poor long distance focusing on the standard lens. Then showed how to refocus by uninstalling then repositioning. Would any of you recommend changing the whole lens? It seems to me if you go through the trouble of taking the original lens out, then if there's a better piece of glass out there, this would be the time to do it.

Can anyone suggest a lens that may be out there that would give me a similar field of view as the medium on GP? Also it strikes me if I set the GP to wide, but have a lens that looks like the medium I would be using all the sensor. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks

Lots of research is in order. The reports about out of focus gopros are misleading, the G3+ was the only model known to have shipped out of focus. Some are reporting some image improvements tweaking focus on GP4 but this is a bit misleading. GP4 has an infinity focus lens set to focus as close to the camera as it can. not the best solution for shooting from the air. So there might be room for improvement by refocusing. Not proven but some are reporting good results. Just remember when you do that you lose close up focus, so if you are using your gopro for other than drone footage it might not be the correct move.
I have a GP4 black that is dedicated to solo. So I am going to try the focus trick. But I also purchased a 4.33 12Mp replacement lens that has no fisheye, is close to the stock FOV.
The thing to remember about all the after market lenses is that almost all of them zoom in a bit. so they will all magnify any vibration issues you may be having.
Check youtube for GP4 lens modifications for examples to decide if it is right for you. Also remember after market lenses are more prone to flaring when facing the sun, and most will create a pink tinge color around the edges

Reactions: Gareth Rockliffe
Lots of research is in order. The reports about out of focus gopros are misleading, the G3+ was the only model known to have shipped out of focus. Some are reporting some image improvements tweaking focus on GP4 but this is a bit misleading. GP4 has an infinity focus lens set to focus as close to the camera as it can. not the best solution for shooting from the air. So there might be room for improvement by refocusing. Not proven but some are reporting good results. Just remember when you do that you lose close up focus, so if you are using your gopro for other than drone footage it might not be the correct move.
I have a GP4 black that is dedicated to solo. So I am going to try the focus trick. But I also purchased a 4.33 12Mp replacement lens that has no fisheye, is close to the stock FOV.
The thing to remember about all the after market lenses is that almost all of them zoom in a bit. so they will all magnify any vibration issues you may be having.
Check youtube for GP4 lens modifications for examples to decide if it is right for you. Also remember after market lenses are more prone to flaring when facing the sun, and most will create a pink tinge color around the edges
I suggest you call PEAU. They have lenses for every application. I can personally speak for the 4.35mm and the 5.44mm. I use both and very rarely go back to the stock units for UAV.

they make quality stuff but pricey, if you have the cash cant go wrong with them though

For reference here is a video I shot with a Ragecam 5.4mm lens. Not perfect but experimenting with balancing props etc.
Original seems a lot smoother than the YouTube edit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

they make quality stuff but pricey, if you have the cash cant go wrong with them though
Yes... Not cheap for sure... Like 3DR, their biggest assets are service and knowledge. I suggest people call and talk to them. They are very knowledgeable...

Reactions: Burkeam
As Earl says. Check out Peau Productions. I recommend the 4.35mm lens because it's wider angle than the 5.4.

To save money, you can just buy the lens and do the swap yourself. Or send them your GoPro and they will do it for you.

What were your GP settings, 2.7 or 4K ?

For reference here is a video I shot with a Ragecam 5.4mm lens. Not perfect but experimenting with balancing props etc.
Original seems a lot smoother than the YouTube edit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
settings

I just recently got some sample 3.97mm rectilinear (no fisheye) 16MP lenses to test out. Works out to about 22mm equivalent field of view, so a little wider than the widest (~24mm) higher megapixel lenses currently available.

At a 16MP resolution vs. the current 10-12MP, it should perform nicely, but I'll post back with results once I've done some thorough testing.

I just recently got some sample 3.97mm rectilinear (no fisheye) 16MP lenses to test out. Works out to about 22mm equivalent field of view, so a little wider than the widest (~24mm) higher megapixel lenses currently available.

At a 16MP resolution vs. the current 10-12MP, it should perform nicely, but I'll post back with results once I've done some thorough testing.
Yes. Please post back. Maybe start a new thread. Very interested to hear your results.

Reactions: dcal

Sounds like a great option Lamda. Can you post a link to the source for it?

Sounds like a great option Lamda. Can you post a link to the source for it?
Hi Jubalr, I'm actually dealing direct with the manufacturer. There is no retail at the moment. I'll post back with more details once I've had a chance to evaluate.

Reactions: dcal and Jubalr
There is also the Ribcage mod that will allow adding interchangeable lens

You are correct, but Ribcage said they have a mod of their product that will and it's in production and I designing a gimbal for the Ribcage mod that will allow for balancing of different lens

Reactions: erikgraham

Lamda Hi,
Hopefully you'r still subscribed to this thread, how did you get on with this lens and do you fancy sharing who the manufacturer is as I#m interested in trying one ???

Lamda Hi,
Hopefully you'r still subscribed to this thread, how did you get on with this lens and do you fancy sharing who the manufacturer is as I#m interested in trying one ???
Peau Productions sells the lenses. You can buy the lens and install yourself, send in your GoPro for them to install, or buy a GoPro from them with the lens already installed.

Here is a comparison video of the stock lens vs two of their lenses, including the 3.97.

Video: Stock vs. 4.35 vs. 3.97 mm Peau replacement lens | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44