Landing Flip Every Time

Does this consistently happen to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I am constantly getting flips on every landing the past several days and its pissing me off.
  1. I have all the latest app and firmware updates
  2. I have new props
  3. I have done two Compass Calibrations
  4. I have done two Level Calibrations
  5. I was not in windy conditions
  6. It happened on grass, on dirt, on concrete, and asphalt.
  7. I was not in busy wifi area
  8. I am always in in Manual Mode, but it does the same in "Fly", "Fly Press and Hold to Land", and RTH.
Now my batteries are scratched up, gimbal and camera may as well have been thrown against a brick wall for as much abuse they have withstood, and i've broken props. Oh and solo doesn't always stop once its flipped. After several times of this happening I have resorted to getting as low as possible and killing the motors, which is almost as damning on the gimbal and camera as a crash.

Have you tried landing in Fly:Manual mode and using the left stick down to shut off the motors?

Just curious because I've had a few flips, and not only are they damaging to the Solo, but embarrassing too! Recently I started using the left stick down approach and things were going great for a long time, with no flips. But now recently I even had a flip using that method of landing so I'm not sure what to do any more. :(

I've had a flip when using RTH and 3dr told me it was due to land detection issues.

"When Solo is in RTL and in trajectory tours Home, Solo will respond to YAW but not to Pitch or Roll until is descending to Home position and that's what happened.This caused the Solo to have land detection issues."

Not sure if this helps you at all...

That is why until further notice i won´t use manual mode or any other mode. They are so smart, that they are smarter than us flying and flipping. Is it Skynet already? ;)
I think debugging is needed from 3DR.

Well I have to tell you mine just did a flip after landing first time no damage because of grass. Second time on hard surface using manual. Came in put it on landing gear held down stick. Solo sped up and flipped left breaking one prop and scratching the others. Any suggestions on cause and how to counter act this issue?

To land, I'm usually using flat landing pad and slowly (very slowly last 10-20cm.) descent solo into it using left stick. Then, when bird is on ground, continue to keep left stick at it's lower position to stop motors. All is done in FLY mode, in open area and landing pad stays in same possition where Solo started to fly and satellites accured (i.e. Same landing pad, in same spot to start and to end fly). By doing this it minimizes possibility of GPS signal loss when near the ground and unstable landing behavior.

I'm in the same boat. The past two times I have flown have been riddled with problems 1} the gimbal was not leveling when I would lift off the ground. Problem was solved after restarting solo several times. 2} the video is so glitchy it is unusuable, still a mystery. 3} when I try to manually land it crashes itself when it gets within 2' of the ground. Happens when I am just slowly putting it straight down. Alsok, when the battery gets low I generally just land it in an open area but before the motors completely shut down it tries to return home. Its already on the ground! why is it trying to return home. So frustrated and tired of buying blades!

To land, I'm usually using flat landing pad and slowly (very slowly last 10-20cm.) descent solo into it using left stick. Then, when bird is on ground, continue to keep left stick at it's lower position to stop motors. All is done in FLY mode, in open area and landing pad stays in same possition where Solo started to fly and satellites accured (i.e. Same landing pad, in same spot to start and to end fly). By doing this it minimizes possibility of GPS signal loss when near the ground and unstable landing behavior.

This is what I started doing and it seemed pretty foolproof for a while. However, I have now had two flips during landing using this exact method.

I have now programmed the A button to Fly:Manual, so next time I fly I'm going to use this same technique except that at about 10-20' altitude I'm going to try switching to Fly:Manual and bringing the bird down that way. Some people have suggested that if you're still in Fly mode, some of the automatic leveling features will override your stick commands, causing the flip.

Another solution is to land bird into palm of your hand. But you should be really experienced pilot to do this and it's on your own responsibility. Sometimes I'm landing like this:
20160118_115949.m4v

Last edited:
Reactions: David8477
would you guys mind sharing the gopro vid as the flip happens?
we may be able to give better suggestions by seeing exactly what happened before the flip

I've got a good one, but i think i deserved that flip unfortunately. It's literally right outside my gym. This is the second flip so far. First was at home, when i landed fully, then it just took off, flipped, and screwed two blades with a bunch of scratches included :(:(:(
why.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc