Just the flight log basics . . .

Reaction score
Greetings,

Please forgive my ignorance but I have yet to find a link or direct instructions for accessing my flight data/logs. I do not know where they are located (right, in the controller but how to access?) nor have I found any information or instructions. It is as though everyone else here received special information that I somehow missed. If someone would be so kind as to direct me to a source for this information, I would appreciate it.

Respectfully - Baran

Short answer from a noob:
Email yourself the trouble ticket instead of addressing to [email protected]
Change the file name extension on your pc to *.tlog
Use mission planner application to open the files as telemetry files.

Short answer from a noob:
Email yourself the trouble ticket instead of addressing to [email protected]
Change the file name extension on your pc to *.tlog
Use mission planner application to open the files as telemetry files.
Correction. The file you email will be a zip. extract the files from it. rename any that are Solo.tlog2, Solo.tlog3, etc. to another name ending . .tlog (such as Solo2.tlog, Solo3.tlog, etc.)

Download and install Mission Planner on your PC.

http://3drobotics.com/download_software/

Double click one of the tlog files. There is one for each flight. It will open in Mission Planner (you can also open it within the app).

Mission Planner is a long discussion all by it'self, but once Mission Planner is open with a tlog file, go to the telemetry tab (tabs in middle left section) and you can "play" the tlog file (flight) showing on a map along with various other data such as altitide, errors, etc. If you hit the "tuning" checkbox at the bottom center, a graph will show up, and you can add other data in a sync'd graph to the map. There is much more to MP, but that will get you started

Very useful tool to see what happened in a flight

PS: No, you aren't alone... Every body else picks it up the same way you are now :)

Oddly enough both DJI with the new P3 and 3DR with the Solo have done a crappy job making logs available for users. Should be super easy with CSV and KMZ outputs. So guys can look at the in a wide variety of programs including do Dashware overlays. The advanced stuff of course would need something like Mission planner for everything.

Poor implementation from both companies. Be so easy to have personal log in the Solo App or DJI pilot that shows date, location, max distance, max alt <click here to download log>

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
Agreed, although i would prefer a KML file with data overlays. Simple to create, small, universal, and you could open and play in 4 dimesnions with Google Earth (like many other things do). I do get the need for MP, and it has a lot of funcionality I haven't touched yet, but they could also make it easier to play with others.

I haven't spent the time to figure out how to export to GPL/KML...

Have you?

I have not figured any of it out !

Since I have a P3 the Solo is just sitting. I have not had time to get even the P3 logs working in Dashware yet. I think its a dashware bug as the video speed is hosed. But the P3 files are easy to grab with USB cable to tablet.

So solo is on back burner for me.

Hello All, I thought that I had read on one of these forums that you could access the latest three tlogs using the "trouble ticket" email technique. I tend to fly at least three sorties when I'm in the field and am only able to capture two tlogs using this method. Is there a way to increase this number? Per Murphy's law, the most interesting flights never seem to transfer and the dull little flights transfer just fine. I suppose an alternative is to simply send the email after each flight (or two) just to make sure you capture all of the data. That just seems a bit cumbersome.

Yes, you can grab them off the controller with Mission Planner or SCP connection. 10 logs.

Hello All, I thought that I had read on one of these forums that you could access the latest three tlogs using the "trouble ticket" email technique. I tend to fly at least three sorties when I'm in the field and am only able to capture two tlogs using this method. Is there a way to increase this number? Per Murphy's law, the most interesting flights never seem to transfer and the dull little flights transfer just fine. I suppose an alternative is to simply send the email after each flight (or two) just to make sure you capture all of the data. That just seems a bit cumbersome.

The latest log is solo.tlog. The next is solo.tlog.1, and the 3rd is solo.tlog.2. Using the support ticket method, it send these 3 log files, but there are actually 10 log files.

Oh, okay. I was ignoring the solo.tlog as it never seemed to have any real data. That may have just been chance during some of my early testing. Thank you, I will try to open those up in the future. I used to use MP all the time with my Iris which worked well with the usb cable. It sounds like it is veerrry slow with the Solo. But at least 10 logs are available. That's good to know.

I have not figured any of it out !

Since I have a P3 the Solo is just sitting. I have not had time to get even the P3 logs working in Dashware yet. I think its a dashware bug as the video speed is hosed. But the P3 files are easy to grab with USB cable to tablet.

So solo is on back burner for me.
OK... Figured it out. I take it back, exporting to KML works well enough... That is good as everything else i have can do KML, and overlaying everything together for planning etc. is helpful.

Interestingly showing a tlog file in Google Earth illustrates the GPS issues quite well.... (which is another reason I wanted to use it).

Notice some of the traces are below grade..... Notice also that according to GPS, the craft traveled to two different places about a mile apart in less than a second, and traveled under a house to get there! Now THAT is a drone.. LOL...

Solo2.jpg Solo3.jpg

If you are the Solo and you are trying to correct your position in real time from that data, the results could get interesting... :) Obviously it is smart enough to kick you out to another mode "Altitude Hold" but I think (based on personal experience) there currently are hiccups along the way to that. They should be able to fix that part in firmware...

Hopefully they fix the GPS... Tower, Smart Shots, etc rely on it. If they get it to work (AND the gimbal works well) it will surpass DJI. At that point I can "plan" 98% of flights and just be the camera operator, rather than pilot/operator simultaneously. Automating the camera simultaneously will get some really amazing shots, the first time........ IF they can make it work.... Which will require a well oiled GPS.

If not, I will have to keep doing it manually...

Last edited:
Reactions: rrmccabe
OK... Figured it out. I take it back, exporting to KML works well enough... That is good as everything else i have can do KML, and overlaying everything together for planning etc. is helpful.

Interestingly showing a tlog file in Google Earth illustrates the GPS issues quite well.... (which is another reason I wanted to use it).

Notice some of the traces are below grade..... Notice also that according to GPS, the craft traveled to two different places about a mile apart in less than a second, and traveled under a house to get there! Now THAT is a drone.. LOL...

View attachment 372 View attachment 373

If you are the Solo and you are trying to correct your position in real time from that data, the results could get interesting... :) Obviously it is smart enough to kick you out to another mode "Altitude Hold" but I think (based on personal experience) there currently are hiccups along the way to that. They should be able to fix that part in firmware...

Hopefully they fix the GPS... Tower, Smart Shots, etc rely on it. If they get it to work (AND the gimbal works well) it will surpass DJI. At that point I can "plan" 98% of flights and just be the camera operator, rather than pilot/operator simultaneously. Automating the camera simultaneously will get some really amazing shots, the first time........ IF they can make it work.... Which will require a well oiled GPS.

If not, I will have to keep doing it manually...

Is there a thread you can point me to that would give more info about KML files and overlaying into Google? Seems like a really helpful feature I just learned about. Thanks for posting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado