Just got my Colibri

Reaction score
I've wanted a drone for years now and was actually looking at this one before it came out. Never thought I'd be able to get one in this lifetime. Saw one used on offerup for $170 with the gimbal and the drone+all original packaging and had to have it!
After getting home and trying to try it out, I seem to be hard pressed to find a place I can launch from without getting an error about interference but when I found a spot, I loved it! Though videos don't do the noise levels justice! :eek: I named him Colibri since flying made me think of a hummingbird the whole time.
I have a few things I checked out before picking it up and figured I needed Alfa dual antennas, spare battery, and either to sell the gimbal to get a more open source gimbal or just get a go pro. For the camera part, I'm more towards getting another gimbal since I have an older Xiaomi Yi I can use. I could always just get a cheap used compatible gopro and sticking with it. I need a small bit of help deciding on that.
Can't wait to see what else I can add to it and make it even more fun!
image0.jpg

Hello,
Congratulations! It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DRPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in 3DR quadcopters.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Nika La Kitty
Ease of use and lack of hassle really just goes with the GoPro + stock gimbal. A really great combo, IMO.

If you do the calibration dance with the compass/magnetometer in a really empty wide open undeveloped space with no metal on your person, you will get a nice clean calibration that should be a fair bit more robust against interference.

Also, where are you taking off from? Some rocks and concrete are really noisy.

Reactions: Wetstone
Oki doke. I see a GoPro 4 Silver for $120 with a bunch of stuff so I'll probably get that.
I'll try calibrating next week when I'm off work again.
I tried taking off by my house but couldn't. Most likely due to the our cars being too close with a rocky driveway. Though I could take off inside my house within two minutes despite the deafening amount of wifi signals in the way.
I managed to fly at a parking lot not too far away from my house.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
You should be able to find Hero 4 Black refurb from GoPro for about $150 with OEM packaging/accessories, so I'd hunt a bit and go for that over the Silver for the extra resolution/framerate.

Reactions: Nika La Kitty
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. Do the basics (prop/gimbal balancing) and you shouldn't need any post-process stabilization. I don't use any post-process stabilization in my footage and I've not done any balancing to either yet :p Though I did stuff some earplugs in my gimbal damper balls.

That looks like a pretty complete kit! Any ND Filters in there?

Nope. Just all you see in the pic along with all the needed cables. Any recommendations? I have a printer so I'm gonna see if there's anything I can engineer and add to the camera and colibri

I think I like my Freedom360 ND8 filters (NiSi glass), but I've only used them once in less than ideal lighting. However, the results were promising. If you're after a machined aluminum heatsink/front plate for your GoPro with an ND8, I have two sets in the classified sitting waiting.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc