Judder after crash

Reaction score
Juddering video: Wondering if someone could help. A couple of months ago I had a minor crash and since then my Solo has not been the same. I clipped a tree while flying in manual causing a brief moment of entanglement followed by 3 props breaking and a fall of about 12' onto grass.
The only evident damage seemed to be that the gimbal had taken a bashing and had popped out of one of the dampening rubber ball things and bent very slightly where the rubber ball attaches. Simply bent it back and popped the rubber back in. However since this incident things just aren't the same as I seem to be getting a lot of juddering evident in video footage. Also hovering accuracy doesn't seem as good as before. I have included some footage (ungraded) to illustrate the point (particularly evident at at 0.23 and 1.02 mins in). So I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise on where to start in terms of diagnosing what the problem is?
View media item 344

I'd start by opening it up and making sure the gimbal cables are clear of anything that moves inside. There are plenty of threads on how to do that and what to look for on the site. If the stiff hdmi cable comes into contact with the gimbal inside, it can cause it to not work properly.

Also, how windy was it? The shaking at the points you mentioned kind of look like wind to me.

Thanks for the quick response.
Yeah have tried that. Had the gimbal off completely and made sure everything sitting nicely. Has ribbon cable upgrade installed and some of the hard sheathing removed from the other cable.

One or more of the gimbal motors may have been damaged internally- not visible from the outside. Regarding the GPS, did you inspect the GPS unit (under the plastic cover in front of the battery) to make sure nothing came loose or is broken?

If it hit hard enough that any part of the gimbal was bent, I think its likely it's DOA. Striking a tree, breaking 3 props and falling 12 feet to the ground is a pretty major crash in my book.:(

It is kind of a strange wobble, it appears to be diagonal in motion. It's unlikely, but I'd check all the rubber isolators for any damage. Matter of fact I'd just get a new set to be sure... Is the gimbal centered within the beauty plate ( plastic plate with three screws) opening?

If you had the factory HDMI cable installed, I'd say it wasn't allowing the gimbal to move unrestricted. I don't have the ribbon cable to say otherwise.

With Solo on and video recording, pick it up and pitch and roll it by hand to simulate its flight. Then with it level, slightly shake it forward/back and side to side to simulate a vibration. Once done you should be able to isolate what is happening by watching the video and of course remember the sequence for the various movements. You should be able to record your voice to give yourself a cue to what you are doing....

It is kind of a strange wobble, it appears to be diagonal in motion. It's unlikely, but I'd check all the rubber isolators for any damage. Matter of fact I'd just get a new set to be sure... Is the gimbal centered within the beauty plate ( plastic plate with three screws) opening?

If you had the factory HDMI cable installed, I'd say it wasn't allowing the gimbal to move unrestricted. I don't have the ribbon cable to say otherwise.

With Solo on and video recording, pick it up and pitch and roll it by hand to simulate its flight. Then with it level, slightly shake it forward/back and side to side to simulate a vibration. Once done you should be able to isolate what is happening by watching the video and of course remember the sequence for the various movements. You should be able to record your voice to give yourself a cue to what you are doing....
Great idea Rich- hadn't thought of doing a hand-held test!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig