Is the Solo a Sensible Choice for GP 5 Black and Walkera Gimbal?

jxo

Reaction score
New, so be gentle. Price for Solo sans gimbal is under $200. Am only a few months into learning drone video and photo. Am currently using a GP Hero 5 Black on a Walkera 2d gimbal on another drone with limited flight assist capability. I am a new and predictably crappy pilot. I also use the GP smart remote to control the camera (provided I don't crash and burn while trying to use in flight).

I understand that much of the remote camera and gimbal control functionality through the Solo is lost without using the Solo gimbal and a suitable camera (not the 5). However, the Walkera does a nice job stabilizing and the Smart Remote does nicely with camera remote. I understand that FPV and remote gimbal tilt and roll adjustment will be lacking without mods (I have seen GP5 hdmi hacks and Walkera gimbal wiring for the Solo).

I am desperate to find a drone with better GPS flight control capability. Is the Solo a sensible choice on this basis for $199?

If you're buying new and you want something straight out of the box... you're looking at $200 (approx) for the solo, $200 for a Gimbal and maybe $230 for a GoPro hero 4 black to use in the Gimbal. So total cost $630 (approx). Now if you get a solo with a Rev A gps and find yourself wanting/needing a better GPS lock, then you're looking at a HERE GPS which will set you back $100 approx (inc shipping). So now price hits $730 (again approx).

So question is do you want to spend up to $730 on a solo or spend a bit more and get a different brand drone that's got most of these advanced GPS features by now (and a few more bells and whistles also)?

HOWEVER keep in mind the following... there are plenty of people on here that may have 2nd hand Camera's, refurbished Gimbals (looking at you Bruce!) and maybe a Rev B or MRO gps that they are willing to part with cheaply (not looking at me, I've got hoarding issues!). So that will bring down the price. Also there is a large community of people here developing the Solo for even further use down the road. It all depends on weather you just want to fly straight out of the box or whether you are interested in tinkering with your drone, making modifications, not just now, but in the future also.

I've currently very happy with my solo and glad I got it when the pricing was so good.

... It all depends on weather you just want to fly straight out of the box or whether you are interested in tinkering with your drone, making modifications, not just now, but in the future also.....
thanks Irishman. Am not averse to tinkering. Already doing so with a GoPro 5, the Walkera gimbal and other drones which I am not fond of flying do to the lack of GPS. To be clear, I already have both of these and am questioning whether with a little tinkering the GP5 Black and the Walkera gimbal slapped on the Solo with a GoPro Smart Remote will suffice for the time being (the Solo gimbal and another camera may come later). The immediate question is whether the Solo's flight assist capabilities out of the box make it a worthwhile option with the GP5 plus Walkera for the time being.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I second everything pdx said. In fact, I just bought a 2nd Solo to have for spare parts. It's a great piece of kit for $200. I love to tinker and building drones is fun. At some point all Solo stock will be gone, and parts harder to find. But I also have a Mavic and Yuneec Q500. The Solo has the Solex app that adds more features to the drone. B and H still have them on sale for $199. I picked up a new Gimbal for $175 and couple batteries. Can never have enough batteries!

redjr16

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Well, its seems like it makes some sense. Just want to make sure the $200 isn't better spent on a few bottles of wine. Any better vendor to purchase from at this point? Amazon vs. B&H? all the same?

Looks like another member to the Solo addicts club on the way. Is there a Solo serial number range, Revision, version etc... to be mindful of?

I'd say Amazon simply for the amount of return options (drop box, label printing etc) just in case you need them.
I had to return a Solo battery to B & H and it was painless and very easy. Printed UPS label on the printer, back in the box, and off to Staples. Credit was seen about 5 days later. I was surprised they took it back! Seems like the Solo products would be no returns, but I'm glad they did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig