Is it worth upgrading from a Hero 3+ to Hero 4 Black?

Reaction score
Stopped by Best Buy to pick up some batteries for my Hero 3+ and saw the Hero 4 Silver and Black on display. If you've made the upgrade, was it worth it? I'm having a hard time on deciding to upgrade or not.

Also, Best Buy had a good supply of propeller packs on the display for sale. Funny thing is I spoke to 3DR support about my order for 2 packs of propellers and they said they were back ordered. Go figure. Just might cancel my back order and pick them up at Best Buy tonight instead.

Attachments

• IMG_8775.JPG
    IMG_8775.JPG
    909.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8769.JPG
    IMG_8769.JPG
    980.2 KB · Views: 19
Depends on what you're using your GoPro for... is 4K resolution at a usable FPS (30+) important to you? If so, you might want to upgrade to the Hero4 Black. But if HD/1080 resolution is all you need, your 3+ will be sufficient.

Just my opinion...

Reactions: Raybro
Depends on what you're using your GoPro for... is 4K resolution at a usable FPS (30+) important to you? If so, you might want to upgrade to the Hero4 Black. But if HD/1080 resolution is all you need, your 3+ will be sufficient.

Just my opinion...

I need it more for pictures and really want it for the 120fps slomo. Was wondering if there was any image quality difference in the photos from the 3+ to the 4.

The Hero4 does produce better still photos than the 3+, but it's not *significantly* better... not worth the $$$ you'd need to spend to upgrade the camera (and new spare batteries, since they're not compatible). My opinion is, the $$$ you'd spend to update your GoPro would be better spent on accessories for your Solo... extra props, extra battery, case, etc.

The Hero4 does produce better still photos than the 3+, but it's not *significantly* better... not worth the $$$ you'd need to spend to upgrade the camera (and new spare batteries, since they're not compatible). My opinion is, the $$$ you'd spend to update your GoPro would be better spent on accessories for your Solo... extra props, extra battery, case, etc.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Especially since I just invested in some new 3+ batteries and a dual charger. Thank you for the feedback.

My rule to upgrading has always been to leapfrog. I like my Hero4, love it actually. But if I had a 3, I'd wait until the next version came along. If the Hero5 or whatever decides to shoot RAW images, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, else I'll wait for the next one to come along.

Reactions: Kampy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig