Is Anyone Still Flying a Solo?

Reaction score
Hey, it's been quite a while since I've been on this forum. Moved to Asia in 2018 and haven't had my Solo out since then. Sooo crowded for flying here. If the weather's good, maybe I'll make a concerted effort to get my Solo out of mothballs and see if the batteries will hold a charge and the thing will fly. Haven't had a firmware update in two years, so it may not even connect to my iPhone X. Wish me luck!

Max

Just got mine back out after a bit of a furlough as well..(I have actually flown mine already..just like fallin offa log) Do an update and calibrate! Good luck!

I have 6 3dr solo's and I fly 3 of them every other week to to check on my updates and mods that I install - Slowly upgrading and modifying them to Solex

Still flying two Solos. Despite the months long sabbatical my flying skills have improved. Did the Drone Fairy blow magic dust on me during my slumber? Id rather she left me a working gimbal. Anyone?

Had four Solos at one point. Gave one to my son and one to my son-in-law, so now have two. Of those, one will not function with a gimbal, so I put in a static 3D-printed GoPro mount for mapping activities. Still haven't gotten either back in the air yet because my wife inadvertently came in contact with a COVID infected person so we're in quarantine. ?

I currently have 2 SOLOS with a third only being another $50 away. “Xtra cash is not available at this time”
My original SOLO has been perfect. No probs whatsoever.
My second SOLO was re-built with a body kit and is now as healthy as my original.
The third is all original and only one flight on it.
It has the gimbal and all accessories. I was able to pick it up for less than $200
SOLO 4EVER

I absolutely love my Solo however I can never get the gopro to work with the gimbal in order to get video. Worked for about a week then crapped out. I have 2 solos, took them both apart, checked everything. I just dont know...

I absolutely love my Solo however I can never get the gopro to work with the gimbal in order to get video. Worked for about a week then crapped out. I have 2 solos, took them both apart, checked everything. I just dont know...

You may want to try “if u have not already “ the foam mod.
Worked on all my solos for lost video.
What GoPro are you using?
The gimbal is only “compatible “ with the 3+ black and 4

I currently have 2 SOLOS with a third only being another $50 away. “Xtra cash is not available at this time”
My original SOLO has been perfect. No probs whatsoever.
My second SOLO was re-built with a body kit and is now as healthy as my original.
The third is all original and only one flight on it.
It has the gimbal and all accessories. I was able to pick it up for less than $200
SOLO 4EVER
Are you trying sell one? Mine has seen better days.

I sold my extra Solos, but still have my original one. I dusted off the old Solo yesterday to get it up in the sky but the old problems returned. I had never updated stock GPS or antenna, so the range sucks balls.

I can only fly it very close by, the video drops out early too and the controller cuts out soon after. I have some better antennas i bought to replace the tiny stock ones but they do little to improve the range, if anything at all.

So really at this point the Solo seems good for software and hardware modding as there is still a lot of potential with upgraded hardware.

Also its big lumbering size helps in higher winds, too, but just so loud and bulky that I really don't ever want to use it anywhere around people or civilization. I think i'd rather get hit with a falling Mavic than a falling Solo lol.

My main feeling was that Its hard to fly it with extreme confidence, esp without any modifications

Last edited:
I can only fly it very close by, the video drops out early too and the controller cuts out soon after. I have some better antennas i bought to replace the tiny stock ones but they do little to improve the range, if anything at all.

Also its big lumbering size helps in higher winds, too, but just so loud and bulky that I really don't ever want to use it anywhere around people or civilization. I think i'd rather get hit with a falling Mavic than a falling Solo lol.

My main feeling was that Its hard to fly it with extreme confidence, esp without any modifications

Range of the Solo is what it is. It was that generation's normal range. But because of the limited range I really just use my Solo for mapping type activities now. I actually like the hefty nature of the Solo because I've been able to fly it in winds that none of the late-model drones could handle.

Reactions: kneel23
I sold my extra Solos, but still have my original one. I dusted off the old Solo yesterday to get it up in the sky but the old problems returned. I had never updated stock GPS or antenna, so the range sucks balls.

So really at this point the Solo seems good for software and hardware modding as there is still a lot of potential with upgraded hardware.

I fly two other birds on a regular basis [Ph3 and Anafi] and I feel just the opposite - The other birds feel floaty and dangerous, and I'm NEVER confident the Phantom isn't simply gonna take off for *whereverz* since it has already tried to...twice.

Though I do fly with $14 Alfa antennas on Artoo, so I suppose it isn't strictly Apples-Apples

Reactions: kneel23 and jimloss
Hey, it's been quite a while since I've been on this forum. Moved to Asia in 2018 and haven't had my Solo out since then. Sooo crowded for flying here. If the weather's good, maybe I'll make a concerted effort to get my Solo out of mothballs and see if the batteries will hold a charge and the thing will fly. Haven't had a firmware update in two years, so it may not even connect to my iPhone X. Wish me luck!

Max
I have three Solo packages sitting in a closet. However for what few requests I receive, I use an Anafi because it is easier to haul, setup and operate, it is quieter, and it is much safer to operate near anything valuable, including the Operator. Unfortunately few adequately-paying customers seem to appreciate the cinematic quality of Solex cable-cam videos. That said, I just watched this video by a brave Solo owner launching and landing with an insta360 ONE R on a selfie stick hanging from underneath. Seems like a way to make "like you're a bird" 360 degree videos of a home and the homeowners as they wave at the drone. Add a holiday music soundtrack and send it or a link to family and friends as a unique holiday greeting during COVID-19 times. Has anyone else tried flying a 360 camera to take videos with a Solo? I'm close to buying a camera.

I have three Solo packages sitting in a closet. However for what few requests I receive, I use an Anafi because it is easier to haul, setup and operate, it is quieter, and it is much safer to operate near anything valuable, including the Operator. Unfortunately few adequately-paying customers seem to appreciate the cinematic quality of Solex cable-cam videos. That said, I just watched this video by a brave Solo owner launching and landing with an insta360 ONE R on a selfie stick hanging from underneath. Seems like a way to make "like you're a bird" 360 degree videos of a home and the homeowners as they wave at the drone. Add a holiday music soundtrack and send it or a link to family and friends as a unique holiday greeting during COVID-19 times. Has anyone else tried flying a 360 camera to take videos with a Solo? I'm close to buying a camera.
Related post.
While I primarily use a 360 degree video camera for project documentation, there is a potential concern about the scope of the content of a true 360 video or still image file. Something to consider if previously you've been careful to aim the Solo's GoPro camera in directions and angles to reveal the primary subject matter, while trying to avoid recording the content of neighboring properties. (Good idea to have insurance coverage in the event of a privacy claim.)

Last edited:
Well there is the Kodak PixPro for 3DR Solo for 360 recording made a long time back https://kodakpixpro.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=104

Lately been flying the Mavic 2 Zoom, Autel Evo, and pickedup an Evo 2 6k last year because they are all just so easy to launch, land, fold up and carry around.

I pulled out the Solo this past summer to cycle the batteries a bit and give the gopro's a few test runs, besides the range being abysmal, my other issue is the Solo batteries all drain really fast now that they were stored for too long :\

Last edited:
When the wind is gusting over 35 knots my 3DR Solo is still the most stable aircraft in my fleet.

I have a
DJI Mavic Pro
Autel Evo
Parrot Bebop 2
3Dr Solo
DJI Phantom 1

And way.to many r/c + gps guided fixed wings to list here

My 3DR Solo is flown around 6 times per year. I have 18 model aircraft in my fleet and fly at my club twice per week. The photo here was shot with my Solo while flying at my club.
1515724118883.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela