iOS 11 does not work well with Solo

Reaction score
If you install iOS 11 on your iPhone or iPad you will not see any picture on your device during recording on your GoPro.
To get the picture back you have to go completely out of the APP and restart the 3DR SOLO APP. So if you like to see the picture on your iPhone during recording - do NOT install iOS 11.

I can confirm that IOS 11 does give an initial blank screen when you start the gopro recording. Closing the app and relaunching does work just fine and gives live feed. Best thing to do is to start recording in manual mode on the gopro and then launch the app.

I can confirm that IOS 11 does give an initial blank screen when you start the gopro recording. Closing the app and relaunching does work just fine and gives live feed. Best thing to do is to start recording in manual mode on the gopro and then launch the app.

Will this record on the device also or just on the GoPro.
Well, - I have sent 3DR an e-mail about iOS 11:
----------------
Thanks for contacting the 3DR help desk. One of our agents will respond as soon as possible. Your case number is 000xxxxx, you can use it as reference when needed.

Records just fine on the phone and the gopro. I'm running v5 on my gopro so I have to start recording manually on the gropo. If you boot up the drone and the controller and start manual recording on the gopro before you open the app the live feed and phone recording work fine.

Records just fine on the phone and the gopro. I'm running v5 on my gopro so I have to start recording manually on the gropo. If you boot up the drone and the controller and start manual recording on the gopro before you open the app the live feed and phone recording work fine.

I just tested, I can start recording with the APP, the picture goes in black, then I can go out of the APP and then restart the APP and get the picture back. I am then able to stop the recording on the GoPro with the APP. This I can do with Solo airborne.
But I like my iPhone with iOS 10 a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjones
Good info. I guess I will not mess with the upgrade just yet. What firmware is the go pro running? I have had issues with not getting a video feed even with ios10 and having to restart everything but never when I hit record. That would make record when starting a smart shot option useless.

Good info. I guess I will not mess with the upgrade just yet. What firmware is the go pro running? I have had issues with not getting a video feed even with ios10 and having to restart everything but never when I hit record. That would make record when starting a smart shot option useless.

My GoPro Hero4 is running v05.
I have not tried any smart shots as I do not think they would work, sorry.
I have left one of my iPhones on iOS 10 for this.

My GoPro Hero4 is running v 05.
I guess you are right about smart shots, but I haven't tried them airborne..

Have not flown my Solo in a while but did update to IOS 11 on my IPad mini 4. This morning I took the Solo out for a flight and discovered the video stops when I hit record. So reading this thread I see there are work arounds for this problem such as starting the Go Pro manually. So many hoops to jump through. So I just l landed the Solo and launched my Phantom 3 advanced. Some days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44