In what way is owing a 3dr solo better than a JJRC x9?

Reaction score

It might be an annoying question to some with an obvious answer, but given that my aim is to simply fly as many missions as possible, from as many places as possible, with the aim of obtaining the best quality video I can obtain, I am wondering why would I keep my Solo? It's a nice craft, seemingly reliable and well engineered, but to be honest, so is the little JJRC...

I'm genuinely curious, and admittedly haven't actually unboxed the solo yet, as it appears I need to spend more money on some software if I haven't got an i-pad, and I've been flying "the drone that works without a learning curve" out of laziness.

I'm wondering if I should just sell it for the seemingly substantial sum of money that one which actually HAS the hero4 Silver camera and a spare battery will attract, and keep flying the x9 (particularly as the busted one I bought for spares turned out to be easy to fix and perfectly useable!) or whether it'll turn out that I should have just used the solo, because it's vastly better in some way?

Anyone have any strong opinions or decisive facts that would help me make a sensible decision?

It might be an annoying question to some with an obvious answer, but given that my aim is to simply fly as many missions as possible, from as many places as possible, with the aim of obtaining the best quality video I can obtain, I am wondering why would I keep my Solo? It's a nice craft, seemingly reliable and well engineered, but to be honest, so is the little JJRC...

I'm genuinely curious, and admittedly haven't actually unboxed the solo yet, as it appears I need to spend more money on some software if I haven't got an i-pad, and I've been flying "the drone that works without a learning curve" out of laziness.

I'm wondering if I should just sell it for the seemingly substantial sum of money that one which actually HAS the hero4 Silver camera and a spare battery will attract, and keep flying the x9 (particularly as the busted one I bought for spares turned out to be easy to fix and perfectly useable!) or whether it'll turn out that I should have just used the solo, because it's vastly better in some way?

Anyone have any strong opinions or decisive facts that would help me make a sensible decision?

The 3DR Solo and JJRC X9 are very different, the 3DR is more than a kilo in weight, has a professional level camera, is stable even in windy conditions, and requires some effort to learn, the JJRC X9 is a 258 gram drone, 2 axis gimbal and will require less effort to learn, but it's not a professional type drone. Of course 3DR Solo is not supported, no parts or battery is being manufactured. The question is do you want a challenge or something easy?
Tom

The question is do you want a challenge or something easy?
Tom

The challenge for me in is in executing the flying part of the mission flawlessly. Every time.

That's challenge enough. and one I've wrestled with since 2014 rather than "just buy a DJI"..

I'd like my remote control vehicle to work the same way every time, and not be servicing it all the time. That is not possible with aircraft, I already know, from my previous work, but just with aircraft & motorcycles some people like to spend their time operating their machines, and some spend their time fettling them. I have to choose the right machine for me.

The solo Was a machine that had a good reputation for being flyable and not needing too much messing about before 3dr withdrew their software, and I'm wondering if I got mine too late to enjoy that experience. (I cut my pixhawk flying teeth on a Skyviper GPS, which finally delivered the reliability and ease of flying that I was looking for, I figured a solo would allow me to move the camera whilst flying and give me some stabilisation, whilst hopefully delivering a similar reliability in the flying that Skyviper managed.
In between engine changes, every three months or hundred sorties).

I flew JJR's x15 yesterday in a park sitting on the bench in non gps mode, and it was lovely and quiet and extremely well behaved. it's optical flow position hold worked extremely well, and I was able to bring it real close and just park it in the air withing feet of me when people passed by on the footpath, and it did nothing unexpected or outside of my control whilst not working me hard mentally.

If it's camera brings home the bacon, I might stick with that and the x9's. A "spares ship" for the x15 will show up eventually....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc