I'm on the fence.....Solo vs Phantom 3

I do not know where you read that but P3 video is flawless even up to max distance! Solo cannot come anywhere near the DJI when it comes to performance, distance and capabilities. I own both and I can state categorically that the Solo turned out to be a real disappointment. I would have expected 3DR to at least match P3 but they obviously could not. The fact that 3DR could not even have a quality gimbal available at release is telling. Obviously 3DR is having problems since they cannot even manufacture a simple 3 axis gimbal - technology that is over two years old already - shows they have manufacturing issues. The thing that concerns me the most is the large number of reported system failures. Frankly I am surprised that 3DR did such a poor job in build quality and testing. It is very obvious to me that they released the Solo before adequate testing...
I agree with you about the Solo so far.

I own both as well but I agree with DBS about video. My video is smoother on the Solo. The Phantom is not bad by any means but I can see a slight frame rate on the P3 that I do not see on the Solo.

Right now I prefer the P3 but the Solo video is very smooth.

After seeing some of the Solo footage with the gimbal it will really set it apart from the P3

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You gotta read up more about those "flyaways" with the P3... There has not been one true flyaway reported on the P3. People don't seem to understand that it is usually but not always... pilot error :)
Like loss of gps signal, switching over to manual mode, weather... Etc etc the list goes on and on. When I read about P3 flyaways it is guaranteed that it was not a true flyaway but a pilot mistake or something like a low battery voltage...etc
Yes the p3 has been reported by some pilots to have flown away by its self... But you usually don't get enough info on what really happen, or you find out what he/she were doing with the drone while it flew away. ;)
All drones will have a "flyaway" but it usually is not a real flyaway.

So you saying "Like loss of gps signal" is on the pilot?

After seeing some of the Solo footage with the gimbal it will really set it apart from the P3

What.......all video's (3) video's 3DR was nice enough to release? LOL. Come on their is still no comparing the Solo with gimbal shots to any DJI product yet. All we have from 3DR is talk

You gotta read up more about those "flyaways" with the P3... There has not been one true flyaway reported on the P3. People don't seem to understand that it is usually but not always... pilot error :)
Like loss of gps signal, switching over to manual mode, weather... Etc etc the list goes on and on. When I read about P3 flyaways it is guaranteed that it was not a true flyaway but a pilot mistake or something like a low battery voltage...etc
Yes the p3 has been reported by some pilots to have flown away by its self... But you usually don't get enough info on what really happen, or you find out what he/she were doing with the drone while it flew away. ;)
All drones will have a "flyaway" but it usually is not a real flyaway.
What.......all video's (3) video's 3DR was nice enough to release? LOL. Come on their is still no comparing the Solo with gimbal shots to any DJI product yet. All we have from 3DR is talk
We shall see......in November..:D

I agree with you about the Solo so far.

I own both as well but I agree with DBS about video. My video is smoother on the Solo. The Phantom is not bad by any means but I can see a slight frame rate on the P3 that I do not see on the Solo.

Right now I prefer the P3 but the Solo video is very smooth.
Might it be your tablet? Iphone 6's seem to be quite flawless on my P3. I think the video quality is overtaxing your tablet.

Maybe a little but at this point I don't care. I see the P3 as being much more reliable and better range qualities. More confidence. It will suit me fine

Might it be your tablet? Iphone 6's seem to be quite flawless on my P3. I think the video quality is overtaxing your tablet.

Yea I don't know. It's not bad by any means and perfectly acceptable for FPV.

Regarding the tablet if the video quality is overtaxing my tablet then there is an issue with DJI. Brand new Samsung Tab S. There are going to be 1000s of guys flying with lesser hardware.

I am not complaining about the P3 at all. Way better than my old V+.

Reactions: Raybro
Yea I don't know. It's not bad by any means and perfectly acceptable for FPV.

Regarding the tablet if the video quality is overtaxing my tablet then there is an issue with DJI. Brand new Samsung Tab S. There are going to be 1000s of guys flying with lesser hardware.

I am not complaining about the P3 at all. Way better than my old V+.
Understood but even Blade Strike says he's an android guy but the iOS devices work better on the P3. The other platforms can't process fast enough.

Reactions: rrmccabe
I don't know much about the Solo but more about the Phantom because I've been on the Phantom site for a month now. This is what I know:

1. Lightbridge 2.4GHz 720p live feed (Solo can't come close to this feature. I think Solo is using the wifi technology similiar to the Phantom 2 ? ) .......I might be wrong about this.....

2. Distance - I think Phantom 3 has the Solo beat due to wifi vs lightbridge?
3. Failsafe - Phantom is more matured in this area? I don't see people having issues with this in the Phantom forum. I'm not sure.
4. Gimbal - People have a lot of issues with the gimbal with the Phantom...constant re-calibration needed
5. Visual Ground sensor - I don't think it works for the Phantom....too many issues...people have had to disable
6. Firmware issues with Phantom....
7. The only feature that I see where the Solo is better than the Phantom is the flight modes?

As a newbie, there are a few features that are important to me:
1. Low latency FPV (advantage Phantom?)
2. Distance (advantage Phantom?)
3. Failsafe (advantage Phantom?)
4.finally Phantom is way cheaper...more bang for the buck

Again...I really don't know much about the Solo. I'm coming here to get educated.
I own both Solo and P3 and I can honestly state with confidence you will be better served with the P3. You will also save more with the P3. My initial testing and extensive research on the Solo forums that the Solo is released before it was truely ready for prime time. Too many bugs in software that is causing crashing issues whe
Just ordered the P3A
As much as I like 3DR I think you made the best decision but I would highly recommend that you exchange your P3A for the P3Pro if your budget allows for it. The Pro version camera is simply the best on any consumer drone. If you anticipate needing 4K quality video or photos then the Pro is the best option...

Well, I have no slightest live video problem with neither P3 or Solo at least not for short distances I'm flying. I got Solo primarily as a platform I can play with as it's code is partially open and you can write cool Python scripts to make Solo do whatever you want. Of course, if anyone expect the same level of video quality without the gimbal on Solo, it will disappoint. For the price P3 is hard to beat.
Please note - The P3 is accessible now with the SDK development platform. There are some really cool apps being developed for complete Ground Control capabilities. I am at a loss why 3DR turned out to be such a disappointment. I truly hope they can address these issues before the end of this year or they will be left in the dust by DJI...

I truly hope they can address these issues before the end of this year or they will be left in the dust by DJI...

I am afraid this is probably true. The concept is all great and the 3DR people are very nice. I think they are just lacking in resources to make things happen quick enough. Owning both of them I find the Solo short in "interface" technology.

I REALLY dislike Wang and DJI as a company so its hard for me to fly DJI.

Tech Support is talking to engineers this morning about my failed update. If we can not resolve it over the phone then I am out.

I am afraid this is probably true. The concept is all great and the 3DR people are very nice. I think they are just lacking in resources to make things happen quick enough. Owning both of them I find the Solo short in "interface" technology.

I REALLY dislike Wang and DJI as a company so its hard for me to fly DJI.

Tech Support is talking to engineers this morning about my failed update. If we can not resolve it over the phone then I am out.
I'm hoping for the best. Hate to see you go.

At this point its really not a big deal to me. I bought the P3 because the gimbal was delayed a second time. Figured it would get me by and be a nice second aircraft

After getting a P3 I am having a hard time being enthused about the Solo. Just not sure 3DR is capable of catching up.

Will know by end of day.

Reactions: Yourviewfromabove
At this point its really not a big deal to me. I bought the P3 because the gimbal was delayed a second time. Figured it would get me by and be a nice second aircraft

After getting a P3 I am having a hard time being enthused about the Solo. Just not sure 3DR is capable of catching up.

Will know by end of day.

Best of luck, my P3 is suppose to arrive tomorrow. Just in time for my vacation LOL. I dislike DJI and their customer service, but if they have the better product they are going to come out ahead

Will know by end of day.
i well be up dating the firmware tonight when my girlfrend gets here.
if it dosen't work i will take it back to bb tomorrow.

Will know by end of day.
Wow, didn't know you had problems. When do you determine its a sign that it's not meant to be?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40