I absolutely cannot get my Solo to work on my boat...

If you are 10' away from the speakers, then that is an even bigger boat and even more things that will interfere. Were you launching from on top of the inboard or from the bow?

Compass on boat is highly shielded. Did your iPhone compass workwithout a calibration first?

22 foot supra, I posted a pic. It is not a big boat. I tried launching off the bow first, but there are 2 standard speakers there, so I tried on the stern, starboard side (opposite of the batteries). That was when I had success. Its about 10 feet from the launch point to the tower speakers. Yes, its very close to the engine (inboard v-drive).

Boat compass isn't shield. It's a cheap camping compass thats bolted to the dash. Wakeboard boats don't normally have a compass built it. iPhone compass worked fine without a calibration.

They don't effect my compass on the boat, or the iPhone. Is the compass in the solo THAT sensitive? My attempted launch point on the boat is a solid 10 feet from the speakers. I've laughed closer to my Jeeps trunk which has bigger speakers in it.
Here's a thought and a process... because I don't have another one in mind;
  • point the boat north
  • point the Solo north and on the boat centerline
  • do a compass re-cal
  • do NOT do a level re-cal as that would likely be impossible on a small boat anyway.
  • after the compass re-cal, set the Solo down at the launch point on the boat centerline, still facing north
  • get everyone sitting down on the boat - including the pilot - and wait for every single boat movement to cease
  • see what happens...

Here's a thought and a process... because I don't have another one in mind;
  • point the boat north
  • point the Solo north and on the boat centerline
  • do a compass re-cal
  • do NOT do a level re-cal as that would likely be impossible on a small boat anyway.
  • after the compass re-cal, set the Solo down at the launch point on the boat centerline, still facing north
  • get everyone sitting down on the boat - including the pilot - and wait for every single boat movement to cease
  • see what happens...

Will attempt this on Saturday. If not, we already have a plan B. Wood + PVC pipe = Launch pad. I can't get to shore too easily where we are, but I can get to where the water is about 2-3 feet deep. Going to use the same mechanics that we use to mount our rails to mount this metal-free launchpad. Plop solo on it, launch from there, hand catch on on the boat after the run.

Can a boat degrade the wi-fi signal so much that the devices don't want to connect and play together - even though inches apart?

So Steve, what you are saying is that the compass and level are not issues in this case? Or, are you implying that IF the wi-fi signal was clean, and all devices connected, that then we may also see compass and level errors on the controller - and, that the reason we don't see compass or level errors is because Solo isn't hearing the controller wi-fi in the first place?

Ryan had a 'gimbal not detected' error during system startup on the boat, which means (to me) that the controller was talking to the Solo via wi-fi. I just keep thinking, 'inches from one another - how can the wi-fi be that bad?'
I've had gimbal not found message on several occasions. That's a software glitch.

Compass and level *could* very well be issues, but it won't even get that far in the system checks if it's not connecting to the controller so that is unknown until there is actually a connection. I don't think we can make that leap until there is a connection.

All I'm saying is "waiting for solo" is a wifi issue. No idea what is causing it. I think just about all of the other boating problems I've read - the solo and controller connect fine and most people get a "level surface" warning because the boat is rocking, sometimes a mag interference depending on the metal structure.

Will attempt this on Saturday. If not, we already have a plan B. Wood + PVC pipe = Launch pad. I can't get to shore too easily where we are, but I can get to where the water is about 2-3 feet deep. Going to use the same mechanics that we use to mount our rails to mount this metal-free launchpad. Plop solo on it, launch from there, hand catch on on the boat after the run.
I know someone who uses a spare 18" wide car tire with just plywood on top. That helped them get away from the mag interference he was getting as it raised solo just enough off the (metal) deck. The rubber probably also helped.

I know someone who uses a spare 18" wide car tire with just plywood on top. That helped them get away from the mag interference he was getting as it raised solo just enough off the (metal) deck. The rubber probably also helped.

Hmm, I could make a launch pad that attaches to the ski pylon (not the tower). 3 inch PVC with some plywood attached to the top. That will accent any rocking of the boat though. Worth a shot.

Might also try connecting to solo on the shore and carrying it on the boat when it's already connected to see if that helps. Just for troubleshooting...

Boat compass isn't shield. It's a cheap camping compass thats bolted to the dash. Wakeboard boats don't normally have a compass built it. iPhone compass worked fine without a calibration.
That camping compass couldn't be counted on past the 8 compass points; it will happily point 'somewhere' in the general correct direction. Real boat compasses are adjusted for magnetic deviation with small internal magnets (compensators) for any given boat. Fluxgate or electronic compasses can be adjusted for their place on earth and deviation by "swinging ship" - or rotating your phone - or in our case, rotating Solo.

Hmm, I could make a launch pad that attaches to the ski pylon (not the tower). 3 inch PVC with some plywood attached to the top. That will accent any rocking of the boat though. Worth a shot.
Yes, that's why placing RADAR scanners or GPS antennas up toward the top of a sailboat mast is a bad idea. With Solo being so sensitive to level, I can't imagine that helping, but...............

If there is a dock where you launch, tie up to the dock, set the Solo on the dock next to the boat and try it. While keeping the controller in the boat, progressively move the Solo away from the boat on the dock and try again. See if you get to a distance where it will connect.

The other thing to try, download an interference app on ur phone. One of the ones made to analyze wifi bands. See if it sees anything while on the boat.
I'm wondering if it just doesn't like the movement of the boat.
Perhaps the code is written so it won't connect at a usable level if the Solo is not stationary. Bring a tablet or laptop and try to connect to the wifi using Win SCP. At least that might tell you if it's capable of wifi connection. Maybe even a Wireshark session will tell. I've never tried that so don't know if it's capable. Im curious if you are seeing to many bad packets in the data stream. Which, again, might possibly be tied to the rocking of the Solo?
If you are willing to try these things, PLEASE REMOVE THE PROPS.

That's an odd one. Keep us posted.

Don.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Levitz
I have had success launching from my Sail boat a few times now.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Always been very calm water out on a reef some where. Solo takes a little while longer and has always done a self "level" calibration which it never does on land. I do a hand-catch when landing.

I have a 38 foot boat. At the dock in a calm location the Solo will arm and fly OK.

Away fromy the dock, the Solo will not function at all.

It's the Solo, not the boat. It must be perfectly still during its calibration portions of its start up routine.

We need boat mode or some other firmware change to allow use on a boat.

Now that 3dr seems to have slowed down development, I wonder if we will ever see it.

The main reason for purchasing my solo was to fly from my boat, so I'm more than a little upset by this, especially as 3dr almost always showed video that appears to be from a boat in their promo advertising. It sure let me astray.

I have had success launching from my Sail boat a few times now.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Always been very calm water out on a reef some where. Solo takes a little while longer and has always done a self "level" calibration which it never does on land. I do a hand-catch when landing.

Yes, this proves my point.

See how calm it is there, not one wave or swell, no wind, perfectly calm, larger boat so that the Solo is still during its calibration period.

I sure wish they would fix this issue so we can fly from our boats!

Thanks for sharing, good job on your video.

Boat mode requires EKF-2 and when they tired putting it in on 2.4 it is behind all the crazy drifting and wacky flying
they have went back to EKF-1 to restore stability
Dont look for boat mode anytime soon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig