How to update your maps for Orbit

yes, its a phone. I downloaded the Google Earth app. Will that update my maps?
Try this to see if it works...
Before your ready to fly in the area that your in...
Go into your Cell phone and turn on your Data..then bring up Maps!!
Now your maps should be updated to the area your in!
Now connect to your Solo and try it!
I havint tried this my self..but can't think why it wouldint work!!
Please post back with your results :)

Edit: Did your phone come with its own Map app??
Or did you have to install a 3 party maps..like your Google map?

I use an IPhone ISO...and I have google map app that I installed..and I also have the Map app that was already in my iPhone when I purchased it! I never use my google maps.. I always use the map app that is already integrated with my IPhone and it works everytime! (With the Folow me mode) I havint really tried it with Orbit yet!
But you can try both Google maps and the Maps that was already in your phone..unless Google maps is all you have!

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
Try this to see if it works...
Before your ready to fly in the area that your in...
Go into your Cell phone and turn on your Data..then bring up Maps!!
Now your maps should be updated to the area your in!
Now connect to your Solo and try it!
I havint tried this my self..but can't think why it wouldint work!!
Please post back with your results :)
When you say, "Bring up maps", exactly which ones? Google maps?
and my data is always on

I haven't tried it but the manual says just pull up the area you plan to shoot in and it will automatically save it to cache, which the Solo app will then use. I just assume they mean Google maps or whatever you are using.

I haven't tried it but the manual says just pull up the area you plan to shoot in and it will automatically save it to cache, which the Solo app will then use. I just assume they mean Google maps or whatever you are using.
I've installed Google Earth as of today. We'll see if the maps in the Solo App are different. I'll post once I know.
Also, looking at Google maps in my area, the maps appear to be at least 6 months old. I know this because several months ago, homes were built in this area that do not appear on the map. I'm just guessing that Google Earth is the most updated satellite data base?

You have to open up the solo app and display map view. Pan the map and zoom in and out to cache. On iOS, the map data is automatically cached, on android use the download button to cache.

You have to open up the solo app and display map view. Pan the map and zoom in and out to cache. On iOS, the map data is automatically cached, on android use the download button to cache.
Frank, I use android. So the download button is in the Solo app? if so, can you provide a screen shot for those of us who need special attention? lol
And the map view you mention, is that the satellite image that appears when you activate orbit?

Anyone know the best way to get current Satellite maps?

I will go out on a limb and say that the Solo software is using whatever map info is set as default on your tablet. I'm not sure you can change Apple Maps on the IOS devices at least you still couldn't do it in IOS 8. I haven't installed IOS 9 on my ipad yet because I don't want to mess up my DJI Go app. I use my iPad to fly my Inspire1 and I use my Tab S for Solo. On Android devices you can change defaults in Settings | Default Applications however; I don't have other maps on my Tab S but I'll install something and report back.

I will go out on a limb and say that the Solo software is using whatever map info is set as default on your tablet. I'm not sure you can change Apple Maps on the IOS devices at least you still couldn't do it in IOS 8. I haven't installed IOS 9 on my ipad yet because I don't want to mess up my DJI Go app. I use my iPad to fly my Inspire1 and I use my Tab S for Solo. On Android devices you can change defaults in Settings | Default Applications however; I don't have other maps on my Tab S but I'll install something and report back.
Great input. Now the question is, "if Google Earth maps are over 6 months old, who has the newest maps?" This may be a tougher issue.

No idea.. but here's a fun fact:

Follow satellite imagery updates

Google Maps uses the same satellite information as Google Earth. Most of the images are about 1 to 3 years old.

Right now you can't report satellite imagery or request updates. You can, however, use the Follow Your World tool to find out when new imagery is available. We strive to update our data regularly.

Frank, I use android. So the download button is in the Solo app? if so, can you provide a screen shot for those of us who need special attention? lol
And the map view you mention, is that the satellite image that appears when you activate orbit?

That download button has never ungreyed for me on android. I have a cellular tab. After a recent update maps do download over cellular whilst I'm still connected to solo wifi. So maybe it's only useful/ungreyed if it sees you connected to non solo wifi

That button will always be grey when you're connected to Solo Wi-Fi. You have to download the map prior to connected to Solo Wi-Fi.. Solo provides no access to the internet and neither will your cellular service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc