How to diagnose the Gimbal

Reaction score
I backed into a tree last week at about 15 feet. No biggie, had to replace the props, and took it out today to fly

When I launch, all was fine, except the gimbal was not level. If I played with the control lever on the controller, I got haptic feedback, but no motion in the gimbal. The small light on the rear of the gimbal was on, which makes me believe it was getting power, but the control was not making it.

The ribbon cable looks a little rough, but I took the gimbal off, reset the board, which is missing a black ball. I can put a replacement, but I suspect that won't work.

I've sent 3DR a trouble ticket to see if there is a way to determine if I can fix this, but I wonder if this means a new GImbal, which in Canada is $339 tax in

Any help greatly appreciated.

Your gimbal control is through the data wire bundle, check to make sure those wires are intact. I'm not clear on what ribbon cable you are referring to, the factory one winding along the gimbal arm or an after market HDMI ribbon cable?

The ribbon cable winding around the gimbal arm may have been damaged. If that is the case, no other resolve other than replace the gimbal. 3DR does not offer repair parts for the physical gimbal.

How did you lose a black ball, it should be somewhere inside the frame.....

Reactions: cameraguy
Thank you, yes that's the ribbon cable I'm talking about. I'm not sure if it damaged.

I did check the data wire bundle, and it appears fine. The gimbal is providing video and accurate telemetry information. So the HDMI cable is doing it"she job. So, it comes down to that ribbon cable. What does that do. How do I confirm that is the problem, and I need to order another Gimbal.

So, it comes down to that ribbon cable. What does that do.
Powers and controls the gimbal motors...

How do I confirm that is the problem, and I need to order another Gimbal.
Without further damage, I have no clue. And yes buy a gimbal...

I imagine someone in the world has attempted to repair a ribbon cable of some sorts and have told of their efforts, just not in 3DR land.... With a microscope, copper foil and soldering iron. Pictures of the break/damage would be interesting to see...

I'll order a new gimbal tomorrow. I'll try and work up the photos tomorrow.

Funny, just got a great offer on an Inspire 1.

Hate days like today

RichWest, Many Thanks for your insight

I spent about 45 minutes with tech support. Learned a ton. We did a factory rest, upgrade, and some testing.

Basically, it's the ribbon cable, and there is no way to replace those, so I'm off to buy a new gimbal.

The inspire interests me< and could happen in the next few weeks. BUT it weighs 6.5lbs, whIch is a real weapon in the event of a problem.

Not sure of this.

The inspire interests me< and could happen in the next few weeks. BUT it weighs 6.5lbs, whIch is a real weapon in the event of a problem.

Not sure of this.
Regardless of the weight...think what it would cost to replace same on lnspire...say gimbal/camera and mount....it ends up being a Porsche 911 when a Ford Mustang will get around the track just as well.

There will always be deals available, but hey it's your money and misery if when something goes wrong. Fly your current bird till the propellers fall off, then upgrade how you see fit once you have more stick time and confidence that these little accidents are less frequent.

10 Canadian cents worth of advice....;) Good luck in your choices.

Reactions: Chuck and cameraguy
Ya, I read too much typical DJI stuff this evening. Did you know that storing your Inspire batteries for winter will brick them. A guy lost $1400 in batteries, DJI didn't offer a solution. No warranty. He had flown less than 10 times.

Others talk about loosing connection for no reason, and the Inspire tries to land straight down. If you can't see it, bye bye to $3-$6K. Atleast ours comes home.

Colin outlined some nice new features today, coming in June in some cases. I'll stick with the Solo.

Bought the replacement Gimbal this pm. I'll install tomorrow and be in the air in the afternoon.

Thanks for your support

Reactions: Dandy James
FWIW, I take in unwanted Solo Giimbals and give them a good home. Some times I'm able to rehabilitate to live a productive life. It's for the children....;)

Same for unwanted motor pods.....they deserve an opportunity to live a productive life as well

Reactions: Chuck and cameraguy
You are a completely generous human being. The Pope and Dali Lama can't touch your.....how to sum you up in a few words.

This lost soul will remain at Sick Gimbals Hospital. He's on life support to keep his parts alive in the event a transplant is needed.

He begged not to go to Texas before his death. He was afraid of some Py-Rat. Don't know what that was about

Reactions: Chuck and RichWest
Regardless of the weight...think what it would cost to replace same on lnspire...say gimbal/camera and mount....it ends up being a Porsche 911 when a Ford Mustang will get around the track just as well.

There will always be deals available, but hey it's your money and misery if when something goes wrong. Fly your current bird till the propellers fall off, then upgrade how you see fit once you have more stick time and confidence that these little accidents are less frequent.

10 Canadian cents worth of advice....;) Good luck in your choices.
First, I owned an 88 mustang 5.0, and I blew the doors off more than one 911 owner. Their tork is all at the end of the stick

Because of what you said, I tried to find the replacement parts. Could find props, but the gimbal/camera is more expensive than the Solo in total. Not many other parts are available.

In 1984 I bought a Mustang SVO, best two years of a car owning me. The $4K worth of tires in that two years is what caused our parting. I'm driving an '05 Excursion now, best 11 years of ownership.

A lot of people are over looking the cost of ownership when they make a RTF purchase. Or that they have the tools and ability to maintain. Everything Solo is plug and play. It costs more up front for that feature, but anyone can maintain the bird without special training or tools. Like I said, when you crash, not if...

I remember the SVO's. Fords attempt to save fuel economy. I had the mustard for 3 years, the George Bush the 1st went to war, and our gas prices shot up.

By far my favourite sports car was the Infinity G370. Had it for about 18 months before a divorce cost me everything. 0-60 before you knew it.

Now, I drive a Ford Escape. Good Fuel, room for the Solo. Want to step up to an Expedition next year. Long Story, begins with an 18 wheeler rear ending me at 70mph when I'm doing 10.

Can't wait to fly tomorrow am

To end the story, I installed the new gimbal this morning, and all is well. With sunny and warm this weekend, I'm airborne again!
I had a similar incident where I had a flip over after sudden battery warning going from 15% to 7% in about 10 secs just as I was hovering at waist level...SOLO went a bit berserk and I had a hard landing and flip over throwing the gp out of the gimbal. It worked but was a slight list and twitch which got progressively worse until I replaced it.

Watch the gimbal.

One of the things 3DR tech taught me was how to reset the entire package. It was the final diagnostic that 3DR did for me, and it determined the bad gimbal.

Look for the 3DR faq on this. It will get you to the beginning. M

I have hope I also provided something that helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks