How many crashes have you had.?

I got my Solo on 1/1/2017. Crashed twice in the first 48 hours, both newby errors, wrong stick movement, and then cut a treetop too close on an MPCC. After that I have had 0 crashes.

Reactions: sastian
I got my Solo on 1/1/2017. Crashed twice in the first 48 hours, both newby errors, wrong stick movement, and then cut a treetop too close on an MPCC. After that I have had 0 crashes.
I'm hoping that this is my story as well

Maybe rewrite the story to skip the first two crashes in the first 48 - I'd spread them out a bit :)
well your assuming it was the first 48.. i've had about 8 flights so far that was just my most recent one..

I have mine from Jan. 1st, 2017, about 20 flights, no crash until now.

2 crashes, both fairly minor. 1st was the first time flying in Sport mode, panicked when it accelerated toward a fence and couldn't hit the FLY button quickly enough. Second was a flip on an auto land because of a wind gust. Both were just lost props although I never found one of the pegs on the bottom of the legs.

Still better than my lost-link, return to home set too low crash of my Inspire 1. That was a pretty expensive afternoon...

Just a quick question. I'm wondering how many crashes each of us has had for how long of ownership. Just trying to gauge how bad of a pilot I actually am. :)

In two years I have had about three. Two that weren't bad and just recently I started playing around in sports mode and crashed into a building at high speed and totally demolished one of my Solos. The impact was crazy it totaled my GoPro 4

Sport Mode on Solo is not something I will ever try again :(

Reactions: Splocal and sastian
Just a quick question. I'm wondering how many crashes each of us has had for how long of ownership. Just trying to gauge how bad of a pilot I actually am. :)

When I first got into drone flying, I mostly built all my own. In those days I crashed a LOT, sometimes due to my own error, sometimes due to improper configuration of my DIY drones, sometimes just because of technical glitches. By the time I purchased my first Solo I had worked out a pretty good routine to prevent crashes. I have never had a Solo crash. Although a lot of it is just being comfortable with flying, I attribute a lot of my no-crash success to three basic things: 1) I always wait for the drone to acquire AT LEAST ten satellites before arming; 2) I never touch the drone once I turn it on (allow sensors to calibrate), until I turn it off post-flight, 3) I learned to recover control quickly in manual mode during flight.

In two years I have had about three. Two that weren't bad and just recently I started playing around in sports mode and crashed into a building at high speed and totally demolished one of my Solos. The impact was crazy it totaled my GoPro 4

Sport Mode on Solo is not something I will ever try again :(
Sport Mode is one of the key reasons I'm acquiring a Solo. Flying fast in a very large open area, or at an altitude that creates such an area should be safe enough but I understand things happen and they happen quite rapidly. I was expecting to see more crashes blamed on the Solo itself (Gps, lack of lock etc...) but most seem to be standard RC fare with is actually good in a way.

Sport Mode is one of the key reasons I'm acquiring a Solo. Flying fast in a very large open area, or at an altitude that creates such an area should be safe enough but I understand things happen and they happen quite rapidly.

When I first tried flying in Sports Mode I started out at 400' up so I would not run into anything.
When I pushed the right control forward I pushed it all the way. When you do that and don't reverse
the forward motion it picks up speed incredibly fast and heads straight to the ground. So with in just a few hundred yards I almost clipped the top of a tree before I got it stopped. So up to 400' again and i started back and same thing happened. Just before it crashed into a large apple tree on our property I noticed it was tumbling. If you fly in Sport mode start slow. Not like I did. In sports mode solo will do flips and all kinds of things if you are experienced enough which I wasn't.
Love to fly in manual mode but staying away from sports mode.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Similar to how my helicopters respond at high rate of speed I have to continually adjust for alt. Slow start is good advice and I read that with the new autopilot firmware update it addresses the loss of altitude but not sure if that was for sport mode.

When I first got into drone flying, I mostly built all my own. In those days I crashed a LOT, sometimes due to my own error, sometimes due to improper configuration of my DIY drones, sometimes just because of technical glitches. By the time I purchased my first Solo I had worked out a pretty good routine to prevent crashes. I have never had a Solo crash. Although a lot of it is just being comfortable with flying, I attribute a lot of my no-crash success to three basic things: 1) I always wait for the drone to acquire AT LEAST ten satellites before arming; 2) I never touch the drone once I turn it on (allow sensors to calibrate), until I turn it off post-flight, 3) I learned to recover control quickly in manual mode during flight.
Mac - which rev GPS are you flying? My biggest concern with the Solo is loosing GPS while in flight.

What's that thing hanging below? Looks like a big catheter..
HTC RE Cam. 16 megapixels...takes nice pics. But no hdmi out. Been using it time lapse, every two seconds it takes a pic.

1 crash, I received my first Solo a month ago. Decided to try to operate in "Very Fast" mode. Also chose to do my first flight after changing this setting through a tree tunnel I nearly lost all GPS signal and then one wrong move flew me straight into a tree. Luckily I was only at maybe 20' AGL, chipped a prop and that was it. No gimbal or other damage. I now fly in medium speed.

Six months into owning my solo and no crash yet but some really close calls. I went into sports mode once in a open field with a big 3 story building at the edge of said field and was at full speed and lost control (solo didn't seem to respond briefly to my stick/directional commands) as the solo barraled tword said building with large glass panes at full speed. I hit the break button and solo just stopped about 10ft from the building and hovered while I checked my pants for piss or shit stains. Whew, enuff sports mode for me for awhile.

Mac - which rev GPS are you flying? My biggest concern with the Solo is loosing GPS while in flight.

That’s why I never arm with less than 10 satellites acquired. It gives you a buffer in case you lose a satellite or two. All my Solos have an M8N variant GPS. The biggest benefit to the M8N (for me) is how fast you get satellite lock. 14 satellites on a rev A board will be close to what 14 satellites on M8N will be, but on a Rev A board you may be waiting ten minutes to pick up 14 satellites. On an M8N GPS it may take a minute or less because it uses US, Russian and sometimes Chinese satellite navigation systems.

Gotcha... Pre flight worry about sats will be something new to my rc endeavors. Hoping my bundle comes with b so I can get some quality time with the stock solo.

Since Dec 2015 I've had 2 crashes and a flip over while landing on not so level pavement when one of the leg extenders folded up causing the flip over. I also had a take-off flip over as a result of putting MAS props on the wrong motors which destroyed that set of props before doing emergency shutdown procedure. I learned to be way more careful putting props on after that. The first of 2 real major crashes happened when I decided to try fly manual with no real experience in that mode in too close proximity to the house. As it drifted in the very slight breeze, I panicked and began over-compensating and smacked into the side of the house. As it was a cold winter day and plastic is brittle, when it fell onto the sundeck, a Solo leg broke off and broke propellers. Mercifully, neither Gopro or gimbal were hurt. I bolted and glued it together and flew it for quite awhile till months later, flying under a tight canopy of trees, lost GPS, went into Fly Manual again (drift, panic, over-compensate...) and crashed into my friend's house. I glued/bolted the body back together again and Solo flew for a long time again.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
My first crash happened while trying to circle around and through a goal post on a football field from a distance. I misguaged it and hit the post causing an awful clang. Solo dropped like a stone. Battery popped out but not a scratch on her. I figured at the time that was my one Mulligan. And I was right....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377