How many crashes have you had.?

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I'm wondering how many crashes each of us has had for how long of ownership. Just trying to gauge how bad of a pilot I actually am. :)

I have owned my Solo since June 1st 2017, 140 flights recorded in Solex and 1 crash. Pilot error, flying about 3 feet off the ground and under / around trees, lost GPS signal and couldn't hit Fly Manual quick enough before the Solo hit a tree, flipped over and shut off. No damage or broken props (lucky).

Oh shit... Probably 10. I fly in out there places though and take lots of risks. High altitude, chasing skiers, bikers, and boats all over the place, and I also planned plenty of crashing when I bought it because I feel like if you aren't crashing sometimes, you aren't trying hard enough. 3rd SOLO, one went back for a calibration issue (Peter), and 1 is at the bottom of the river (Paul). I have put MAS props on the wrong motors twice being in a rush and I didn't pre mark them like I did with all the others, so 2 of those are take off flips. A couple of crashes in landing. I tried to land on top of my truck one time and it slipped off. I had one unexplained crash coming down a mountainside at high speed (45mph) losing 100' per second in Stabilization mode and SOLO went for a roll causing me to lose feed and SOLO to get a face shot in fresh snow and then try to do some weed whacking on pine trees during a RTL. I had it get blown into a tree by a big gust in a super tight corridor. You know the usual stuff.

How many times have you crashed?

2 flips on landing, 1 using the automatic landing (I always land manually now) and when I was landing manually, got a sudden gust of wind that pushed the solo right at me, just came down, dragged and flipped before I could shut down (because I was busy jumping out of the way). On the bright side, that means I've had 2 more solo crashes than I've had car crashes (and I intend to keep it that way!).

Last edited:
Reactions: sastian
How many times have you crashed?

Thank you for this testimony! I feel less like throwing in the towel. Ive had 2 mishaps.
I have recently bought 2 Solo kits. the first one had a bad gimbal to to start with. ( the shakes) second one was factory new! seemed that if i was going to get serious i had better get a backup.

on the first day , my second flight, my son wanted to help ( hes 11) i let him put on the props. i didnt check his work. about 2 minutes into the flight i decide to go up to about 30-40 feet ( taking things slow) and one of the props comes off. she fell like a rock. cracked the chassis.

yesterday i decided to try zipline mode. got to my midpoint and aimed my camera on its flyby focal point. pushed it down the line a it but was watching the feed more than the drone and pushed it into a tree. came down on the concrete. bent the new gimbal main arm slightly and scuffed the body as well. now that im without gimbal again in less than a two weeks i was thinking "maybe i shouldnt be doing this" while arguing that i need to push to get the good shots.

learned two lessons though.
1. never trust anyone else with flightchecks and 2.Never, never loose VLOS!
also be sure of your path before you switch roles to being a camera man.
that was the problem with zipline, i thought i could skip the flight line test and go right into filming.

I'll keep trudging along though. thanks for the validation

Reactions: DJMc
Thank you for this testimony! I feel less like throwing in the towel. Ive had 2 mishaps.
I have recently bought 2 Solo kits. the first one had a bad gimbal to to start with. ( the shakes) second one was factory new! seemed that if i was going to get serious i had better get a backup.

on the first day , my second flight, my son wanted to help ( hes 11) i let him put on the props. i didnt check his work. about 2 minutes into the flight i decide to go up to about 30-40 feet ( taking things slow) and one of the props comes off. she fell like a rock. cracked the chassis.

yesterday i decided to try zipline mode. got to my midpoint and aimed my camera on its flyby focal point. pushed it down the line a it but was watching the feed more than the drone and pushed it into a tree. came down on the concrete. bent the new gimbal main arm slightly and scuffed the body as well. now that im without gimbal again in less than a two weeks i was thinking "maybe i shouldnt be doing this" while arguing that i need to push to get the good shots.

learned two lessons though.
1. never trust anyone else with flightchecks and 2.Never, never loose VLOS!
also be sure of your path before you switch roles to being a camera man.
that was the problem with zipline, i thought i could skip the flight line test and go right into filming.

I'll keep trudging along though. thanks for the validation
I took one of my Solos, took off the Gimbal and flew it that way for practice. You might want to work on developing flying skills, responding to emergencies, before you worry about filming.;)

fly the stupid simulator.. Make it as tough as you can. It is silly and extremely limited. However you can do it at any time, and it does train the muscle memory in our thumbs.

1 crash, first day of owning it I straffed into the side of the house, breaking 2 props

1 accident, she started and flipped over and scratched the shit out of the props

A few close called but nothing major

Reactions: sastian
2. First on first day owned, RTL clipped side of house. 2nd clipped bush whilst hanging a tight 90 degree turn at the nearby park. Inexperience on my part both times. Had my Solos since Feb 2017. The RePL training helped heaps with orientation. Now flying manual more often...

Let's see, I've only had mine a couple months. Came with a bad leg compass so had to fight to get it to calibrate. Had a fly away into a tree. After putting in Gps much more stable and no fly a ways. Hit a tree on a low pass, pilot error. Kid "borrowed" it while I was gone, flipped it right over (guessing he put props on wrong). Just tried Tower app. Solo landed and then proceeded to flip over and dig a hole. Went to buy more props yesterday and the wife said, "you better get two sets". I still don't have gimbal which is probably a good thing as now I've crashed in about 50 % of my flights. :)

fde47f1010b91267f56704eeaf706f7c.jpg

Last edited:
This is what we call a bonding thread. I'm glad i joined :)

Reactions: jca
Let's see, I've only had mine a couple months. Came with a bad leg compass so had to fight to get it to calibrate. Had a fly away into a tree. After putting in Gps much more stable and no fly a ways. Hit a tree on a low pass, pilot error. Kid "borrowed" it while I was gone, flipped it right over (guessing he put props on wrong). Just tried Tower app. Solo landed and then proceeded to flip over and dig a hole. Went to buy more props yesterday and the wife said, "you better get two sets". I still don't have gimbal which is probably a good thing as now I've crashed in about 50 % of my flights. :)

fde47f1010b91267f56704eeaf706f7c.jpg
What's that thing hanging below? Looks like a big catheter..

Back on topic :) - I like these kinds of threads as they are a great place to learn from other's experiences. The hard part is applying those lessons learned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377