Home Point Location

Reaction score
If you have a good GPS lock at the point of take off, the auto pilot will store that point as the RTH location. What happens if the GPS lock it lost during the flight and then regained?? Is the original home point overwritten and replaced with the point where the GPS signal is regained?? If so, that would be a BAD thing. Seems that the initial RTH location should be saved until after engine power returns to zero at the end of the flight.

If you have a good GPS lock at the point of take off, the auto pilot will store that point as the RTH location. What happens if the GPS lock it lost during the flight and then regained?? Is the original home point overwritten and replaced with the point where the GPS signal is regained?? If so, that would be a BAD thing. Seems that the initial RTH location should be saved until after engine power returns to zero at the end of the flight.
No Worries. 1st and original HP is saved until power off and new one acquired at next arming. If taking off in manual without GPS lock, home point is set to location of first GPS lock, so be careful. But it is useful if needing to take off in a hole with limited GPS. You can take off in manual, rise to an altitude above home that can get you a lock then continue. HP will still be where you took off. And no, if RTH is triggered it will not get to the lock height and shut off. It will continue descending at land speed (initiated at new height) and land normally. Will just take a little longer to descend. Remember, Solo does not use GPS for altitude.

Reactions: Chuck and J R
No Worries. 1st and original HP is saved until power off and new one acquired at next arming. If taking off in manual without GPS lock, home point is set to location of first GPS lock, so be careful. But it is useful if needing to take off in a hole with limited GPS. You can take off in manual, rise to an altitude above home that can get you a lock then continue. HP will still be where you took off. And no, if RTH is triggered it will not get to the lock height and shut off. It will continue descending at land speed (initiated at new height) and land normally. Will just take a little longer to descend. Remember, Solo does not use GPS for altitude.
This is exactly how I think it should work. I have continuing issues with GPS lock flying in the forested, hilly area of North Central Tennessee. Reading the comments about how the RTH works your information on climbing to altitude above the takeoff point in order to store the position makes sense. Issue remains that if there was not a good GPS signal on the ground at power up, you can expect to loose the lock during the decent and have to take over an land manually. Good information to put in my sack. Thanks.

Excellent information to have, and very well put, Jublar. Thanks for posting it. I am sure many of us will benefit from it.

I would say "power down" rather than "power off". I find Solo is like my APM's where you need to land, disarm then rearm to set a new HP, not reboot Solo.

This is exactly how I think it should work. I have continuing issues with GPS lock flying in the forested, hilly area of North Central Tennessee. Reading the comments about how the RTH works your information on climbing to altitude above the takeoff point in order to store the position makes sense. Issue remains that if there was not a good GPS signal on the ground at power up, you can expect to loose the lock during the decent and have to take over an land manually. Good information to put in my sack. Thanks.
Correct and good point Bill. If something happens, the RTH will get it back close enough to switch to manual. That is why I Always recommend manual take off and landing. Just like an airplane, those are the most critical points of flight where the smallest problem can cause big problems. I generally only use GPS for waypoints and smart shots. Everything else, I prefer to be the PIC (Pilot In Command). I credit that simple rule with the reason I am 6 months in on the original props.

I would say "power down" rather than "power off". I find Solo is like my APM's where you need to land, disarm then rearm to set a new HP, not reboot Solo.
Correct Robbi. I was just addressing his concerns over the HP during flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo