Hero4 black - suddenly no video feed

Reaction score
I just stopped being able to get video feed from my Solo today. Any ideas?

Tried this:

All batteries good
Never crashed Solo
Has worked in 10 previous flights
Tried removing Gopro from frame and attaching directly
Recycled controller, solo. app and Gopro

Also tried this sequence from other member.

everything off
turn on Solo
turn on controller
turn on iPad
link wifi between iPad and controller
open app to "Fly School" main screen
attach Solo HDMI to Gopro
turn on gopro in video mode
press "Fly" on app

I just stopped being able to get video feed from my Solo today. Any ideas?

Tried this:

All batteries good
Never crashed Solo
Has worked in 10 previous flights
Tried removing Gopro from frame and attaching directly
Recycled controller, solo. app and Gopro

Also tried this sequence from other member.

everything off
turn on Solo
turn on controller
turn on iPad
link wifi between iPad and controller
open app to "Fly School" main screen
attach Solo HDMI to Gopro
turn on gopro in video mode
press "Fly" on app
I am pretty sure you already turned it off but just in case, make sure the wi-fi is turned off on your GoPro . Also, make sure you got the most recent update on your GoPro. If it doesn't work I would try to reset the setting on the camera.

Just in case, did you hit the home button twice on the iPad and close the app completely? I have to do this every time or no live video feed.

Thanks but no luck.

I have latest Gopro firmware.
Turned off app and turned back on
Gopro wifi is off.

Still no live view on camera. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

Have you tried it on another phone? Even if you have to borrow a friends different OS phone just to mix it up a little.

If that doesnt work I would get a HDMI cable to fit your camera and plug into a TV or PC monitor with HDMI. See if your GoPro is even outputting HDMI.

Reactions: Pogo
Have you tried it on another phone? Even if you have to borrow a friends different OS phone just to mix it up a little.

If that doesnt work I would get a HDMI cable to fit your camera and plug into a TV or PC monitor with HDMI. See if your GoPro is even outputting HDMI.
Excellent ideas. Will try that today. Thank you !

As I wrote in another post, I have not been able to get live view since i got my solo few days ago. My gopro hero 4 has an exellent video out on my tv with hdmi cable but when i turn her on, with all the system already up, i get a single and static frame even if the camera, seen on lcd backpak, has a live view. If i turn on the camera first, i have only a black screen. Waiting for tips from everyone ...

So just wanted to let you know what I found thanks to your suggestions. I tried the HDMI cable and the gopro worked! SO I tried my sons Hero3 and it did not work. I made a very close inspection of the inside of the HDMI connection on the bird and it appears that there are two protruding connection filaments, FYI, this connection has always been a bit buggy and required a bit of contortions to get the video feed to work. Sent a support ticket to 3DR. We will see what happens

Reactions: rrmccabe
Well not the best news but glad you figured it out. If you can get the part you should be able to swap that cable yourself.

3DR is the only place I would know.

I cant remember for sure where the cable attaches but I think you will have to pull battery tray out and then remove the screws in the main board along with one motor pod so you can pull the wiring back and tip the board up.

Seems that cable attaches underneath.

Have not really thought about it but wonder if the new gimbal is going to use that same cable.

Have not really thought about it but wonder if the new gimbal is going to use that same cable.

I don't believe there will be any cable at all. Looks like the GoPro will snap into the gimbal. On one side will be a 1" hard point connector that will slide into the GoPro expansion bus. Nothing in the side where the USB/HDMI ports are. The TBS Disco Pro uses the same expansion bus connection for charging and video out. Works well..

I was referring to the cable that connects to the gimbal. If it uses the current cable then its obviously more than just a HDMI cable as when connected to the gimbal it will have to handle data and charging.

Well to do that you need to slide the top shiny nose piece off. Little messing around and it will come of in the forward direction. You will find screws under there as well as the ones under the battery. You can unplug the GPS cable and set that tray to the side.

That will get you to the inside.

It is time to open solo and have a look inside
I think I may wait to hear back from 3DR. Even if I do get the cable out, I have no replacement and then I cannot fly my bird. Also, I am a little worried about voiding the warrantly if I open this thing up. But I am not worried about doing a simple cable replacement.

It wont void the warranty. 3DR commonly tells people if they are comfortable with taking it apart they can do it and check connections or whatever.

I took the gimbal mount off last night and there is a second cable under there that's labeled "Gimbal Data." Doesn't seem large enough to be the only cable that will attach to the gimbal, but there is at least another one.

I took the gimbal mount off last night and there is a second cable under there that's labeled "Gimbal Data." Doesn't seem large enough to be the only cable that will attach to the gimbal, but there is at least another one.

Good info.
I bet the gimbal comes with a data cable then. You probably push the HDMI cable back unto the Solo and plug it into the gimbal and plug the data cable in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc