Hero 3 video feed

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Solo for AP and development, but I don't want to replace my GoPro just yet (Hero 3 White) since it works well enough. I do plan to buy something newer soon enough as a second camera, but until then am I able to at least get a video feed from a Hero 3? I know controls don't work, possibly even starting and stopping, but that doesn't matter to me as much as the live video feed.

I'm not sure but I don't think so. Even people that can get a video feed with a 3, are reporting all kinds of feed problems. Replacing with a 4 clears them up.

Hopefully someone who knows more about the "white" will chime in.
But I believe you need the "top-of-the-line" 3, whichever that is.

I know all of the Hero 3's have an HDMI output, so I had hoped that maybe the Solo could still forward the feed.

Cant say on the white, but I fly my 3 black all the time.
you just have to turn it on, and hit record before you take off

Well, I went ahead and bought the Solo. I can confirm that the video feed works very well. Once prices drop more, definitely get a 4 Black for the controls though. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: Maddog
Well, I went ahead and bought the Solo. I can confirm that the video feed works very well. Once prices drop more, definitely get a 4 Black for the controls though. Thanks for the help everyone!
Excellent! Thanks for the report.

Chiming in a little late, but for a video feed even the $40 lightdow action camera works. No controls, can't record to the sd card while using video feed, but works go the eye in the sky.

I had all sorts of trouble with my Hero 3+ Black. Had to do the same as Pyrate above, i.e. turn on Go Pro before connecting. Also had to set it to Camera mode to get video feed.
Found comments from about a year ago about changing video format to 1080, 60 fps, Med fov. and it works! I now have video feed and full control! (and can switch between video and camera - before if I would do that in flight, I would lose video feed. A little unnerving!)

I had all sorts of trouble with my Hero 3+ Black. Had to do the same as Pyrate above, i.e. turn on Go Pro before connecting. Also had to set it to Camera mode to get video feed.
Found comments from about a year ago about changing video format to 1080, 60 fps, Med fov. and it works! I now have video feed and full control! (and can switch between video and camera - before if I would do that in flight, I would lose video feed. A little unnerving!)

Thanks for this comment, been searching why I couldn't record video while FPV. Changed from 1440P to 1080P wide 60FPS and it works as expected now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig