Here GPS

So I finally got my Here GPS installed. Pretty simple affair. I tend to be more of a function over form guy, so I designed a simple mount for the new GPS antenna. It Velcros to the Stock GPS cover so it can be removed to fit in the backpack. The mount is exactly the same diameter as the foam mount that comes with the new GPS, and is tall enough to lift the HERE GPS mast above the prop arc. In the event of a crash, the Velcro will hopefully release and prevent any damage.
I bought the "replacement" GPS cable from mRo and cut that up instead of cutting the stock cable. The pinout i used was from earlier in this post. Worked great out of the box. I did not use the compass in the HERE, so the stock one is still in use.
71d908b18a4e1bd5c7ff7f6321c96e71.jpg

f2223d7db086fa177ec0eea8840e570c.jpg

Installed it on mast, took it out side for a test flight.
18 Sats @ 0.6
After about 100 Ft AGL 19 Sats @ 0.6

I'm getting similar numbers.
One thing to note, I did not install any shielding after removing the stock GPS, and because I used an aftermarket cable, the stock choke was also not used. I have a couple of spare chokes that I should have added when I soldered up the new cable.

But of course, I cabled it as follows;

View attachment 5944

I just hooked up my Here gps splicing the cables using your diagram and its awesome 15 sec lock with 15 sats. I haven't replaced the leg compass yet. My issue is I'm not getting the led lights to work on top of the Here, any thoughts?

Thanks for the quick reply. That's interesting because my Mini uBlox M8N lights up with only 4 wires to the gps
edit
I hooked up the compass and just for the cool led lights it was worth it

Last edited:
IMG_20170622_141233.jpg HERE GPS works great!
Locks in fast and plenty of satellites now..
I had a problem with the leg compass on this build and also had a revision A GPS so I upgraded to the HERE.

I purchased a custom SOLO cable from leo-technologies ( I'm sick of soldering tiny wires), As of now I no longer have compass issues and a great GPS count/lock with very low HDOP...Thanks for the heads-up people!

IMG_20170622_141233.jpg IMG_20170622_141305.jpg IMG_20170622_141443.jpgIMG_20170622_140657.jpg IMG_20170622_141209.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: admaltais
hi,
what stand did you use to mount you here+? and can you please reccomend me to the cheapest here+? i have found a few but some come with this and that. thus i am in a annoying fix. also(sorry) what would i need to put it on. is it plug and play or ??? thanks in advance.

hi,
what stand did you use to mount you here+? and can you please reccomend me to the cheapest here+? i have found a few but some come with this and that. thus i am in a annoying fix. also(sorry) what would i need to put it on. is it plug and play or ??? thanks in advance.

I used the foam pad that comes with the HERE, I mounted that to a plastic spacer which I hot glued onto the Solo GPS Hood/cover. I purchased the compass/GPS cable from leo-tech.com...Its plug and play $19.00 shipped very high quality I might add..

I can't wait. I have my 3D printed folding mast, Here is in the mail, next week the plug and play wire harness should be ready. Does anyone know what the disadvantage would be to attach the Here to the accessory bay??
Do you have the stl files for 3D printing this mounting mast?

Thanks Bill

Many thanks Speatuk, I followed your mounting and soldering advices -> 16 sat in the middle of the wood (covered by the canopy), 27 sec to lock, awesome.

** but even with leg compass removed, I still have mag interference, fixed by calibration on the spot, a little bit annoying. Maybe, being in deep north or travel far from usually flight spot can cause compass issue. Any idea?

Cheers
View media item 657View media item 656

Reactions: speatuk and XevetS
I had to calibrate for the compass only once after that it was fine

But of course, I cabled it as follows;

View attachment 5944
Hi mate an adding a Here GPS right now and about to do the compass can you tell me which is Pin2 &3 on the compass connector mine has Red, White, Green, Black out of the connector obviously White and Green is the compass but which is SCL and SDA?

Thanks Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela