Help wanted, trying to fly my Solo indoors.

Take this as it's meant please.

You've already answered your own question in a way. Having to ask how to select a flight mode should tell you that you probably haven't yet got the depth of knowledge or experience to undertake what you're suggesting.

If you think about flying indoors, in manual mode, to film other people flying other RC aircraft, it should sound inherently not a sensible thing to do given your experience level.

Personally, given few of us have had professional training, I always take an incremental approach to broadening my skills and capabilities.

In other words, small steps might be the way ahead ?

You could maybe do what your asking, one day, given time. Personally, I never would - what's the risk/benefit?

Gentlemen,
I am starting to notice a trend here as to the type of responses I am getting and I feel I may have unintentionally misled you guys as to my experience level. So let me clear that up a little bit just so we are clear about a few things.
The Solo is not by any means my first RC aircraft, I am a very experienced RC pilot having flown for nearly 30 years considerable having experience in everything from powered sailplanes to pylon racers to sport aerobatic biplanes, not to mention several smaller quads, I do not feel that flying the Solo indoors is by any means beyond my skill level. Especially considering the venue I am speaking of is nearly 2 1/2 stories high with the area of 3 soccer fields side by side by side. It is a monster big building that is one wide open span, which is why we fly there to begin with. So we are not talking about a garage or a basement or even a high school gym here. Also, the group that flies here is very small (about 8 individuals on the average day) and everyone stands along the outside + we are only allowed to do so when there is nothing else scheduled so I would not be flying over a crowd of people. I do appreciate that everyone is so safety conscious here but for future reference (at least in this specific instance) lets assume for the sake of discussion that if I haven't thought of everything safety wise, that I have already been made aware of all the things that could possibly go wrong and move forward. All that being said, what I don't have a lot of experience with or any for that matter is an aircraft that requires GPS in order to fly, and THAT is what I was needing help with. It turns out that the reason I was having difficulties was because I didn't have everything up and running while I was trying to reach the settings I needed, so they were all greyed out. Once I figured out that was the cause of most of my confusion everything else kind of fell into place.

I second what DJMc has said. If you're having to ask about a basic operation of the drone (manual mode) then it really sounds like you don't have the experience needed to fly safely in manual, let alone indoors in manual. It would be much safer and easier to simple film using some tripods or even a homemade zip line rather than put your drone and other people at risk. We're not saying this to be d*cks, we're saying it out of genuine concern. BTW I'm a handsome bastard with huge junk. All the women love me..... Had to add that in due to the below comment. :D
I do understand that you're not saying these things to be d*cks, no worries, it is all appreciated....alright, most of it is appreciated. And as for your last comment about you being a handsome bastard with huge junk? Just keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and "huge" is a relative term. Lol

Also, please use the search function. Please remember that forum members are volunteering their time, and are not required to help anyone. Show the basic courtesy of having spent some of your time trying to solve the problem before asking them (us) to spend our time.

:):D

Point taken, and a valid point it is. Thank you.

Hey-
We read what you write-,you know what they say about assumptions. Our ONLY concern is that any negligence can seriously hurt an innocent bystander/bystanders. It could be a simple mistake and hit the wrong button and activate a disasterous reaction.
Now knowing a little more about you personally- we now know you aren’t 14 years old looking to impress the youtube audience. We all have to use common sense; because you know what they say about bad publicity- it travels like a wildfire and in the end, all Solo users could get burnt.
Please realize, forum members will both advise and criticize depending on your actions- for example, flying drones around during emergency rescue missions, or flying in a situation, where if Solo failed unexpectedly could cause injury or death.
You, whether you like it or not, are now part of our family- we will highly praise your work when it permits, but we will offer our 2 cents if what you are about to attempt could be dangerous. Just consider us a free insurance policy.
Take Care & Have Fun- it’s what Solo’s all about.

SKuhn68-
The “ huge junk “ comes from someone you will surely learn to appreciate- a fine mixture of exquisite personalities- IrishmanPDX’s responses on many occasions will pull you out of the dumps- both hilarious and at times sarcastic- but always with a good heart. This is someone who will remove parts from his shit to help you out- just don’t ask for a gimbal!
It’s never intended to insult you, we just have members from 12 to 112 years old and everyone operates at a different experience level. We try to use the information from different events to help you make the “ best risk assessment.” Like I said, Advice is free, you can use it if you chose.
Now. Being that you have a boatload of experience, may I suggest looking up Maddog’s Brite Lite system - it’s a strobe light system that plugs into Solo, it makes Solo highly visible and can really assist with orientation, especially if you are planning on using indoors on occasion.
And nope. Maddog is forum family, not from the same family tree; but his set up is awesome and he is good people also!

Point taken, and a valid point it is. Thank you.

Alright...Welcome to the family. Might I suggest you investigate an Optical Flow sensor? After, of course, reading that manual and practicing lots in FLY:MANUAL as well.

I do appreciate your years of experience with RC craft. I will only say that they still make me read the manual and prove myself on a forklift every year despite my 15 years of experience on one and many more years behind the wheel of other vehicles. And good on them.

;)

SKuhn68-
The “ huge junk “ comes from someone you will surely learn to appreciate- a fine mixture of exquisite personalities- IrishmanPDX’s responses on many occasions will pull you out of the dumps- both hilarious and at times sarcastic- but always with a good heart. This is someone who will remove parts from his shit to help you out- just don’t ask for a gimbal!
It’s never intended to insult you, we just have members from 12 to 112 years old and everyone operates at a different experience level. We try to use the information from different events to help you make the “ best risk assessment.” Like I said, Advice is free, you can use it if you chose.
Now. Being that you have a boatload of experience, may I suggest looking up Maddog’s Brite Lite system - it’s a strobe light system that plugs into Solo, it makes Solo highly visible and can really assist with orientation, especially if you are planning on using indoors on occasion.
And nope. Maddog is forum family, not from the same family tree; but his set up is awesome and he is good people also!
That's great, I will look up his system right away. And just so you know, I do not offend easily and have a strong sarcastic side myself which I am sure will come out once I figure out the nature and tolerance levels of this forum family. : )

SKuhn68-
I looked up the LED lights and am not sure that they are any better than what I already have. The previous owner purchased a set of "Polar Pro" lights? They seem to be very good and are highly visible.
I have taken the liberty to include a few pictures of the rest of my aircraft collection...just in case anyone was interested. The pictures I've included happen to be before and after pics of a garage organization project. I am quite happy with myself. : )
20180528_081022_HDR.jpg

20180417_210004.jpg
20180421_153512.jpg

If the only real issue for the OP is his lack of experience flying a GPS guided vehicle, then this is all really simple I think. You will likely NOT have a GPS signal while indoors, so you WILL have to fly without GPS guidance. That will need to done in MANUAL mode. Therefore you really need to practice using MANUAL mode in a safe environment before trying to fly around people. Go to a wide open field, put Solo in MANUAL, and start flying...if you get into trouble switch to GPS mode (FLY), and Solo will just hover in place. Lastly, when flying outdoors, you can still lose GPS signal...in which case it's best to switch to MANUAL. Therefore, I would assign BOTH A and B buttons to MANUAL...so you can quickly switch to MANUAL if you ever lose GPS signal.

BYW...nice collection of RCs.

Last edited:
SKuhn68-
Very impressive collection!! These are the photos you introduce yourself with!!!
And now we all know where all your extra bucks go!!!!

You’re gonna need a bigger space!!! May I suggest a nice 30’x30’ garage with an upstairs for construction and repair?

If you are going to fly indoors there are more factors to consider than safety, experience, GPS, and how to switch to Fly:Manual (which is not much better than Fly for indoor flying). How the Solo will react to loss of GPS, low battery, or loss of radio communication must also be taken into consideration. How the Solo will react to the varying air currents inside a structure must also be considered. If you haven't done so already, take a look at Solex and Flight Profiles. Search this forum for more info. There may be something helpful there!

...and there seems to be a mistake being made in some advice given regarding the need to have a button programmed for Fly:Manual. If Solo loses GPS, it will automatically switch to Fly:Manual. There is no need to press any buttons when this happens. Stay focussed on flying your Solo back home! Programming your A or B button to Fly:Manual is for flying/practicing that flight mode when needed/wanted and isn't necessary if GPS is lost since it will happen automatically.

Reactions: SKuhn68
I always have button A set to manual for various reasons. Some shots are better made without GPS interferance. Solo is more efficient in manual resulting in longer flight times. Most importantly if in an area of weak GPS signal (indoors) it's best to turn off GPS and fly in manual.

We're lucky to have this option some quads need a aluminum foil hat over the GPS to fly safely indoors. Solo going in and out of GPS lock can be a handful(near a window).

I noticed you were flying in a large indoor area, in small spaces eddies and currents make it tough. Yes I have flown Solo indoors many times and I don't recommend it until you are proficient in manual mode. Get a small Cheerson or Syma to practice with, no need to risk Solo.

I agree about flying Solo outdoors in a large area with good GPS lock. Fly around in FLY then switch into manual for pratice. Learn to fly nose in and both sides like a heli before progressing indoors. Switch to FLY if you lose coordination and start over.

All of your advice has been much appreciated and will be adhered to. Thank you very much guys.

Reactions: DJMc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig