Help needed with Drone.

Reaction score
My father just gave me a new in the box never opened solo 3dr Drone. I found the the app needed to initialize it is no longer supported or available. I purchased the Solex app but I still don't no what to do to get the Drone initialized and in the air. Can anyone help me out. I would really appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.

My father just gave me a new in the box never opened solo 3dr Drone. I found the the app needed to initialize it is no longer supported or available. I purchased the Solex app but I still don't no what to do to get the Drone initialized and in the air. Can anyone help me out. I would really appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.
Hi, Hang on to your SOLEX! Your Solo will need to be updated to Open Solo 4 before you can do anything with it. Most of this can be done via Solex.

See: Install Open Solo use the path for "Solex install".

Best luck and get it flying. If you are a Facebook user, sign in to "JB's 3DR Solo Owners Group".
It's a private group, answer one or two questions and you're in. All of the active Solo "heavy hitters" are there, and it's very current and active. ANY question you have will be answered within a day. Do it!

Thank you for your help and advice. I've read through the process and there's quite alot to do. I'm going to read through it a few more times then proceed. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I did.

Reactions: CharlieKeck
Thank you for your help and advice. I've read through the process and there's quite alot to do. I'm going to read through it a few more times then proceed. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I did.
No problem! The worst part of the process is accessing the SD cards. On the Solo, once you get the battery tray out and disconnect the GPS connector, there is a single silver screw holding down the main board...after disconnecting the left, rear motor control connector, I've found pushing that cable down behind the main board will allow one to lift and tilt the main board up enough to expose the SD card at the side lip of the board. You can shove wires out of the way - the only critical point is that grey multi-conductor cable on the main board that disappears below...be careful not to twist or yank that one - fairly fragile. Once the main board "wants" to pop up, don't be afraid to pop it up over the Solo frame with a small blade screwdriver. It won't break. You only need to tip the board up enough to get at the SD card, as it is "right there". When reassembling, don't forget to re-insert the motor signal cable, I know because I've done it and wondered why the motor is dead...just saying!

The controller requires considerable disassembly. You'll need to disconnect several cables to split the shell halves - note where they go for reassembly. The SD card in this case is at the top of the processor board, requiring removing several screws. Again, be patient and stop if you're feeling in trouble.

Again, be extra careful in removing both cards, as a tiny bit of that hot wax goop will prevent the card from popping out. An eXacto knife is absolutely required.

HOWEVER, after all this you'll know your Solo! Any problems, stop and ping me here! I'm retired and check this site several times a day. You'll get it!! Great, fun bird.

Last edited:
Before fooling with the SD cards - try this using SOLEX:

Disregard the opening comment about "Green Cube".

If successful, you won't have to deal with SD card flashing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilasStult