Help, can’t update or use drone

Reaction score
So I just purchased a solo and it was the biggest waste of money to date and its unusable. I’ve gone through thread after thread and tried everything. It says I have to perform the preflight update in the app, however the app will not recognize I’m on WiFi so I cannot download the update. I’ve deleted and redownloaded over and over again, tried 3 different phones. Is there anyway to perform the update outside of the non working app?
Please help before I elbow drop this stupid thing

Attachments

• 9D97D001-A8EF-404F-A0DC-B8BC94D34059.jpeg
    9D97D001-A8EF-404F-A0DC-B8BC94D34059.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 7A1AABFD-3527-4BFE-A8E1-5F114D09A330.png
    7A1AABFD-3527-4BFE-A8E1-5F114D09A330.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 20
Did you get any help getting past the "preflight update "? I am having the same problem myself . So far the Solo an the app have been nothing but a waste of money for me. I cant get my Solo to do anything other than flash some lights and beeps at me.

Reactions: Tom543
Deep breaths.

There are a couple of ways to accomplish the update sans app.

1. SSH into the controller and bird separately and use the /firmware directory

2. Burn new images to MicroSD cards and insert into controller and bird.

3. Follow the instructions EXACTLY for installation of OpenSolo. EXACTLY. If it says wait 10 minutes, set a timer. If it says twiddle thumbs, then get them digits moving.

In short, calm, measured, reasoned action is needed. Not excitement or frustration [understandable but not helpful]

Reactions: Solo Keith
Deep breaths.

There are a couple of ways to accomplish the update sans app.

1. SSH into the controller and bird separately and use the /firmware directory

2. Burn new images to MicroSD cards and insert into controller and bird.

3. Follow the instructions EXACTLY for installation of OpenSolo. EXACTLY. If it says wait 10 minutes, set a timer. If it says twiddle thumbs, then get them digits moving.

In short, calm, measured, reasoned action is needed. Not excitement or frustration [understandable but not helpful]

thank you for the response . Are you able to elaborate a little more on how to accomplish these? New to this and don’t know how to go about doing these

This might help, instructions are on pg12 , section 2.7.5.

Follow these and let us know where you're coming unstuck.

thank you for the help however I’ve done all this. The problem is the app won’t recognize I’m connected to WiFi. I can’t get past the screen that says connect to a fast WiFi connection. I am connected but it just won’t recognize it. Spent a total of 8 hours yesterday doing resets and everything. What piece of junk and waste of money. Is there no other way to do the update the through the app? This is the whole problem

tried an older phone, no go. Tried to install open solo 4.0 via side pilot. was able to install successfully but no matter what I do the solo wont connect to the controller after updating. Ive been at this for so many hours I'm thinking of just moving on and buying a new drone, guess buying a second hand 3dr was a stupid move. Anyone want to buy this POS?

my last hail mary hope, does anyone have any idea how I can get the controller to connect with open solo 4.0? Its finds the drone no problem just unable to connect. I've tried over and over, taken batteries out, resets, My eyes are twitching from reading so many forums.

Or next question, is there somewhere or someone who works on these and is able to do this for me? I'm in Cleveland

So what’s a guy supposed to do here?
The app is 5 years old and therefore not compatible with the most recent versions of iOS and Android.
Uploaded open solo 4.0 but the controller will never connect after update. Connects before no issue, it updates no issue, then controller wont connect no matter what I do. uploaded it through sidepilot

Be more specific than "won't connect" please.
So after update it goes back to waiting for solo, it will sit that way for as long as I let it. If I press the Pair button the controller says new solo found press ab to connect. I hold AB and after about 30-60 secs it will say unable to pair please try again. I’ve tried removing batteries, resets, re updates. Same result no matter what I do

You're probably not holding the A+B buttons down long enough. You let go of the buttons after the second vibration.
You sir are a miracle worker. Thank you so much for the help! The open solo went in easy and the issue was me not holding the buttons long enough... wow. Thanks again

Reactions: Solo Keith
You're probably not holding the A+B buttons down long enough. You let go of the buttons after the second vibration.

so I’m connected and everything seems great, however when it says hold fly to start motors, when the screen bar gets to the end it just gives to sad sounding beeps. Front lights green and red back two blue.
Sorry for being such a newb and thanks for all the help

so I’m connected and everything seems great, however when it says hold fly to start motors, when the screen bar gets to the end it just gives to sad sounding beeps. Front lights green and red back two blue.
Sorry for being such a newb and thanks for all the help
Worth noting I do not have a GoPro attached are the moment. It hasn’t arrived yet. On another thread it said it wasn’t needed but could that be the hold up?

Did you go through the rest of the instructions to do all the calibrations? Is solex telling you what the error is? The sad tone is telling you that it is not ready to arm.

Like what @Pedals2Paddles just said, that is any Ardupilot FC's way of telling you something is keeping it from being armed. Make sure you go through the IMU and compass calibrations. Make sure it's getting a GPS lock. It might not see enough satellites to arm in your house, so take it outside if you haven't done that yet. Let us know what happens because you can get this thing working and you'll be glad you did. The only thing better than a stock Solo is a Pixhawk 2.1 cube setup. ;)

What does SSH mean? I dont know much at all about computers. This was supposed to be a Ready To Fly drone. I dont even know what you.ate talking about when you.say to just do this or that. I'm just a 44 year old welder. I don't have a free in anything other than catching things around me on fire with welding sparks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc