Hello All New Pilot

Reaction score
I just got my solo on Friday, I have to say i'm very happy with it especially me being a newbie. This with the go pro black edition. 4k video looks very good in the air.

My only issues is the GPS lock - I went through most of the postings on this forums and learned quite alot. I see i can manually fly the solo then when GPS is available I can then switch over. Thats really cool just gotta find out how to do it.

I see that various mods has been performed like wifi cards and GPS modules. Just ordered them and is waiting for arrival. The only thing left is the Gimbal - B&H did not have the Gimbal version.

Happy flying everyone.

I just got my solo on Friday, I have to say i'm very happy with it especially me being a newbie. This with the go pro black edition. 4k video looks very good in the air.

My only issues is the GPS lock - I went through most of the postings on this forums and learned quite alot. I see i can manually fly the solo then when GPS is available I can then switch over. Thats really cool just gotta find out how to do it.

I see that various mods has been performed like wifi cards and GPS modules. Just ordered them and is waiting for arrival. The only thing left is the Gimbal - B&H did not have the Gimbal version.

Happy flying everyone.
Glad to here another happy Solo customer !
You can also order difference antenna to give you more range.

Happy flying everyone.
Welcome aboard!

I have had GPS issues but I found that you do really need to have your Solo away from any foliage or structures. When I fly in my back yard, I'm constantly having to wait between 5 an 10 minutes for a GPS lock, but my property abuts a cornfield and is surrounded by some pretty tall trees. I've got maybe a 20'x30' open area which really isn't good enough for a fast GPS lock. I found that when I go out to the park or other open areas, I usually get a GPS lock within one or two minutes.

Just my experience, of course your milage may vary.

@Mark - Ah ok makes perfect sense. Its weird though i'm reading from varouse posting that with the GPS mod you can get GPS lock in seconds. Not sure if this is true - Where i usually fly i assure you grass is cut it's a huge soccer field pretty much. Yet it still takes about 4 - 5 minutes for gps lock.

Happy flying everyone.

I would wait on doing those GPS mods. It's still not clear there is any benefit. Some say they get lock in seconds. Others say it makes no difference - or worse. Others (including at least one engineer at 3DR) claim the cards cause interference. If you weren't a "newbie" then I might not advise so much caution. But since you described yourself that way, my advice would be to fly the stock GPS unit. Get a feel for the Solo. In a couple months check back here (or at DIYdrones.com / Solo Group) and see what people are saying then.

As to replacing the stock antennas, that is a much simpler mod. Even there I would be cautious. There are a lot of guys that really get obsessed with distance. There is nothing wrong with that, but all of those antennas do require that you are more careful with which way you are pointing your controller - they are directional. If you are trying to capture video, it could be better and more forgiving to keep the omni-directional stock antennas. With them, you are more likely to keep a connection if your flying the Solo in and out of hills and structures and the drone is behind you or to the side. I have a theory that most people who are into distance live in parts of the country that are flat, like the plains states or Florida. They get pretty bored without hills, mountains, valleys, water falls, cool bridges, dams, etc to fly in and around. So they start going for distance. Its just a theory.

@erikgraham - I never thought of it that way. I already ordered the mods but I will keep it stock untill otherwise. You are right i'm not to obsessed with distance and all that. I'm just really worried about the GPS issues. There's time when I really want to fly but i'm literally standing there 5 minutes later with the whole waiting for GPS and the controller already found 8 satellites. What you said makes total sense and I agree there is a mix of results so i'ma stay stock. Thank you for the valuable information.

@erikgraham - I never thought of it that way. I already ordered the mods but I will keep it stock untill otherwise. You are right i'm not to obsessed with distance and all that. I'm just really worried about the GPS issues. There's time when I really want to fly but i'm literally standing there 5 minutes later with the whole waiting for GPS and the controller already found 8 satellites. What you said makes total sense and I agree there is a mix of results so i'ma stay stock. Thank you for the valuable information.
Regarding the antennas, I posted a question to the guy who makes the FPVLR. I'm not sure my assumptions are right about the omni directionals. I will post back here when he answers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M