Has anybody installed the M8N- GPS with the mast?

Reaction score
Hobbypower Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Module with Compass + GPS Folding Antenna Mount Holder for APM2.8 APM 2.6 Pixhawk PX4 Flight Controller

This is the one I am talking about, Any info on the performance of the GPS mod with the mast so antenna is
outside the Solo's body and above the electronics.
Also any one know where we can get the cable made to adapt this module?

yes I have and i would say dont bother its not worth the headache.

The M8N installed internally gets 20 satellites anyway, and HDOP of 1.0.
No need for a mast.

Those figures don't ring true that's the issue with the M8N discussed at length on the FB mod group and Solo group. Enjoy the numbers but they're BS when it comes to the quality of the lock. The M8N reports those from the satellites it can see (reporting the PDOP on that), not the actual number of satellites being used to form its lock at any one time.

Quality M8N's are always well shielded and kept away from noise.

Reactions: J R
Yes I know all that Ian, I read up on it, but wanted to try it anyway.
I have never had any issue in the air or on the ground using the M8N, so I have decided to leave it installed.
RTH is within inches of launch point, stability in the air is good too, of course that is all due to the satellites that it is actually using for position lock.
I just havent had any issues, if there was something detrimental to the operation of Solo I'd change it back, but for now I have no reason to go back.

My point to the OP was that if he was wanting to head down the M8N path, that it works fine without a mast.

Reactions: J R and Ian [P13]
Fair enough, I'm just pointing it out as the cheap Chinese M8N's may well not be well filtered for being close to noise, so you have the piece of mind on a mast at least you're limiting that factor.

I have noticed by spending a bit more there are M8Ns which include a SAW filter listed in the spec, where I've not seen them listed on cheaper ones e.g:

CUAV NEO-M8N GPS for CUAV Pixhack2.4/ 2.8

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and RolandS888
Thanks for the link. I'll keep that one in mind. Id certainly prefer the better quality, and if its preconfigured, then it will be plug and play.
I noticed in typical Chinese fashion, its called Pixhack :eek:

Reactions: J R and Ian [P13]
I have purchased 5 Chinese M8N GPS modules. The low cost versions $25-$30 from GoodLuckBuy and BangGood did not perform well! The $50 ones from HobbyKing were great!
I suspect the antenna is the main difference.

It's probably more like the RF signal chain is better designed.

The M8N is known to present a tradeoff: it is a dual-band GPS, which means it has to have a wider-band RF frontend. This means it will be more susceptible to noise than the 7N. GoPro is known to be noisy. You might find that doing something like this makes a substantial improvement: Shielding a GoPro's EMI / RF Noise - Hovership

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc