Great iPad Air and iPad Mini SunShades for the 3DR Solo

Reaction score
Hi Solo Pilot,

Here is a great sunshade that will work perfectly with the 3DR Solo stock iPad Air and iPad Mini mount. Also through Friday 6/12/15 we are offering 10% off of everything in the store with the coupon code "10off".

Check us out and let us know what you think. www.aerialdroneaccessories.com

SSPRO-Air-1.jpg SSPRO-Air-2.jpg SSPRO-Air-3.jpg SSPRO-Air-4.jpg

Reactions: freebird2ya
Boy you are sure proud of theese.
99.00 is a bit much for my blood.

I am proud of the design it works great and the iPad fits perfectly. However, the cost is not a reflection of how proud I am of them. The cost comes from the fact that each one takes over 13-hours to print, material cost, the cost of an industrial printer, and general maintenance of the printer.

I am proud of the design it works great and the iPad fits perfectly. However, the cost is not a reflection of how proud I am of them. The cost comes from the fact that each one takes over 13-hours to print, material cost, the cost of an industrial printer, and general maintenance of the printer.
Well played!!!

Just to double check before ordering. This works with the stock Solo mount?

The Mini Versions of our sunshades work. I've not been able to test an iPad Air, but if the stock holder works with the iPad Air our sunshade will work with it. Here are some photos of two of our mini shades on the stock Solo Mount.

SG2A0008.JPGSG2A0017.JPG

Um... no.

Phantom 3 iPad Mini Sunshade LCD Hood (commercial grade)

Amazon.com: Summitlink® (IW7) 7 Inch iPad mini SunShade for DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced DJI Inspire 1 Sun Hood 3DR Solo: Toys & Games

MINI Collapsible Molded iPad MINI Sun Shade and Privacy Hood (MSS001)

(it says Phantom but it'll fit just fine)

Considering going prices for competing products ( less than $50), it sounds like your cost of time/materials means you're doing business at a loss, which is not well played. I'm with @derby.

- R

Um... no.

Phantom 3 iPad Mini Sunshade LCD Hood (commercial grade)

Amazon.com: Summitlink® (IW7) 7 Inch iPad mini SunShade for DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Advanced DJI Inspire 1 Sun Hood 3DR Solo: Toys & Games

MINI Collapsible Molded iPad MINI Sun Shade and Privacy Hood (MSS001)

(it says Phantom but it'll fit just fine)

Considering going prices for competing products ( less than $50), it sounds like your cost of time/materials means you're doing business at a loss, which is not well played. I'm with @derby.

- R
I appreciate what you are saying but everything you listed here is exactly why I am doing so well. I've been flying and filming for years and flimsy ill fitting shades do not work well on professional sets. What I'm doing is surely not for everyone, but for someone who wants a professional sunshade for the professional environment.

I do like the hoodman that you listed. That's the best one in your list of links However mine fits the tablet much better and it is rigid and collapsable. Even the hoodman at $59 can't compete with what we are doing. I've seen pictures of people bragging on how wonderful it is, posting a picture and on some of the edges you could see straight through to the ground.

It's simply two different markets and for most what you are listing will work good enough.

By the way you need to check out our new stuff it is even better. www.aerialdroneaccessories.com

I recently purchased a shade from www.aerialdroneaccessories.com for use with an iPad Pro 9.7 inch. The original shade would not fit the Solo iPhone/iPad spring clamp. After exchanging several emails with Stacy, which included suggesting design improvements, Stacy fabricated a new part for the frame that would fit the Solo clamp. An aside here. Stacy was great to work with on the redesign efforts. He even waived the cost of the additional part he fabricated to make the shade work.

Last week I used the shade for the first time with the following observations:

1. The current iPad 9.7" mounting arrangement requires that the frame rest on the Solo controller/transmitter during operation. Without some modification of the physical frame/controller interface, the frame will mar the surface of the controller. (Note: If the Bestem BT-3DRSOLO-KNOB8 Solo 2 Precision Control Knobs for 3DR Solo Quadcopter Controllers, Pair are installed, you will be unable to use the full throw of the sticks.)
2. The ball-in-socket adjustment on the controller is not sufficiently strong when tightened to support the iPad and sunshade frame.
3. The balance of the controller is completely off. The combination of the controller and the shade and frame is quite heavy and may be too much for many users.

During many exchanges with Stacy, I found him to be a very capable designer. However, the shade model I received is what many in the design world would call a working prototype. It was clear that the design was not complete and a few details needed to be ironed out. It is my understanding that Stacy plans to have the final design injection molded. Depending on the final design and fabrication decisions, this may be a much lighter and more polished model that addresses the above comments. Based on my interchanges with Stacy, I'd bet on it.

Given the amount of time I spent on redesign efforts and communications with Stacy, the price I paid for this sunshade, even with Stacy's kind reprieve on the cost of the redesigned part, is quite high. I would recommend waiting for the redesigned and hopefully lighter, and maybe even more cost effective version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc