GoPro Hero 4 records on ground, not in flight

Reaction score
Just got my Solo for Christmas, so I may be missing something obvious. But here’s my problem: With my GoPro Hero4 Black mounted in the 3-axis gimbal, and using my iPhone 6 with the Controller, I can record to both the iPhone and the GoPro while the Solo is on the ground; I can record with the motors turned on; but in flight, I can record only to the iPhone, the GoPro records nothing. Everything looks like it’s working right, I can see what the GoPro is seeing on my iPhone while the Solo is flying, I can press the red button to start recording, which then correctly changes to a smaller square. I can do an orbit, and it automatically starts recording – but only to the iPhone, not to the GoPro.

Then I tried it with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. Exactly the same problem, with this difference: Once the Solo is in flight, I no longer see the red button in the Solo app, it is grayed out and doesn’t respond to touch, and I can’t record to the Galaxy or the GoPro, though, again, I can see on the Galaxy display exactly what the GoPro is seeing, and I can control the GoPro angle, for example. Bring the Solo to the ground, and everything works fine, motors on or off, I can record boring video of the grass to the GoPro.

I have done both sets of experiments without removing the GoPro from the gimbal, so it's not a matter of, for example, a loose HDMI connection in flight, with a better connection when I re-insert the GoPro while on the ground.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I forgetting to change a setting somewhere?

Hello Charles.

I would recommend 3 things:

1. Check that your GoPro is on the latest firmware.
2. Make sure you selected the correct GoPro camera on the Solo app ( i.e. You mentioned a hero 4 black ).
3. Check that the Gopro's resolution and recording settings don't outperform the SD card's record capabilities. ( e.g. Using a class 4 card to record in 4K ). A class 10 card is normally a solid performer on GoPros. If the card isn't capable of recording the required data it will briefly display an "SD card error" message on the Solo app and will stop recording on the GoPro, the phone however will continue to save the live feed on to the camera roll.

If the issue continues, try and contact tech support.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Spicycanada

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela