GoPro Hero 3+ Wifi turns on mid-flight while shooting photos

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with GoPro wifi turning on by itself mid flight. The last few times I have used my 3dr solo with gopro Hero 3+ it has been happening while shooting photos. So I have the drone hovering and ill be playing with the gimbal angle and shooting photos by pressing the red button on my screen. I don't have it saving to my device, only to the gopro. As I press the red button to shoot a photo, the screen flickers and then after a few shots I lose my FPV and can no longer control the gopro. I fly it home immediately and every time I land it, my gopro's wireless is turned on!!!? I always double check that it is set to off before flight. Appreciate any help with this.

so I assume you have the gimbal since you can fire the trigger
the only thing i would check is that the button on the side of the gopro is not sticking, and that it is not being pushed by the gimbal.

nothing in the software would cause that, so just have to wonder is something not physically clicking the button on the side of the camera

BTW when triggering the shutter it is not at all uncommon to lose your feed for a second or two, mine scrambles the image for a second then clears up every time I trigger video

Reactions: bhermz
I do have the Gimbal. Everything works fine on take off and during flight. It is when I am shooting photos. I can normally take 3-5 shots and then all of a sudden just a black screen on my tablet. I land the drone and the blue wifi light on the gopro is on. You figure the gopro wifi would turn on the second I plug into the gimbal if it was physically being pushed. It truly does not turn on until I start taking photos through the app.

Fantastic ... anyone want to buy a GoPro Hero3+ with a mind of its own? I guess i'm in the market for a 4. :(

Yep!!! I am having this problem as well. Its driving me crazy because i am also having issues where i only get a few pictures or video stop/starts and the gopro freezes up completely. I am only getting 2 min flights max before i have to come back and restart the gopro. I have been speaking to tech support but its a slow process as i dont get to fly that often to try different things.

Fantastic ... anyone want to buy a GoPro Hero3+ with a mind of its own? I guess i'm in the market for a 4. :(
I have a 4 as well but my HDMI out got damaged in a crash so now i have no video feed!!! thats why im stuck with the 3+Black. Ill trade my 3+ and my 4 silver for 1 working hero 4!!

After reading the article that Maddog posted, I was directed to a youtube video to remove the wifi button on the side. I never realized it, but literally if you breathe on the button it turns on wifi. So inevitably, i think the vibration will turn it on. Pissed off, I jammed a eyeglass flathead screwdriver into the side of the button and bent it sideways enough that I could grab it with a needle-nose pliers. I then just ripped the entire thing out and put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole. Didn't seem to affect the gopro in anyway and now you just have to turn the wifi on and off in the menu. Problem solved (I think). I can report back once I fly.

Reactions: Maddog
After reading the article that Maddog posted, I was directed to a youtube video to remove the wifi button on the side. I never realized it, but literally if you breathe on the button it turns on wifi. So inevitably, i think the vibration will turn it on. Pissed off, I jammed a eyeglass flathead screwdriver into the side of the button and bent it sideways enough that I could grab it with a needle-nose pliers. I then just ripped the entire thing out and put a piece of gorilla tape over the hole. Didn't seem to affect the gopro in anyway and now you just have to turn the wifi on and off in the menu. Problem solved (I think). I can report back once I fly.
Cool- hope it works!

I don't think it's your camera. I've also had problems with GoPro (Hero 3+ Black) settings via the app. Not the same as yours but with the modes not switching right or freezing up and not switching at all. This is always in flight. I called 3dr, which I recommend you do before doing something rash, and was told there's a known issue with the GoPro/SOLO app relationship which is to be fixed in the next update.
Always call tech support first (and send your logs via the app when you have a problem.) They are there to help you almost all the time. #fly3dr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44