GoPro Fusion - Not Sure Why I Purchased This!

Reaction score
Well, I was out shopping with the kids today, they were trying to spend all their Christmas money and I end up with a GoPro Fusion 360 Camera. I took two videos about 4 minutes each. One with the camera on top the battery and the Hero6 in the normal location and the other with the Fusion mounted in the bottom. The Fusion doesn't output to HDMI so that flight was old school without FPV. Also, it was a bit windy today.

Running about one hour per four minute of 2k video. 5k will take for ever. Need a cheap quad core with a graphics card, any ideas?

Fusion on the top video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fusion mounted on the bottom video

Fusion mounted on top picture

IMG_2955.JPG

Last edited:
First video will be done uploading around 10pm EST. 2nd one around midnight if I'm still awake.

I rather strap this camera to the top instead of the peel and stick mount stuck to the battery. I wonder if they make a strap?

Last edited:
Well, I was out shopping with the kids today, they were trying to spend all their Christmas money and I end up with a GoPro Fusion 360 Camera. I took two videos about 4 minutes each. One with the camera on top the battery and the Hero6 in the normal location and the other with the Fusion mounted in the bottom. The Fusion doesn't output to HDMI so that flight was old school without FPV. Also, it was a bit windy today.

Running about one hour per four minute of 2k video. 5k will take for ever. Need a cheap quad core with a graphics card, any ideas?

Fusion on the top video

Fusion mounted on the bottom video

Fusion mounted on top picture

View attachment 7857
I have been using a Nikon key mission 360 with a solo and tried various mounting points the best result was mounted on the belly pointed sideways behind the gimbal or without the gimbal and a hero 4 Mounted in the stock mount. It also worked ok from the stock mount spot using a go pro mount
I’m guessing the fusion is a better than the Nikon which so fat is pos

I'm currently experimenting with the Samsung gear 360 mounted to the belly with a gopro sticky mount.

Attachments

• 20180128_090516.jpg
    20180128_090516.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.18.42 PM.jpg OK, my next flight will be belly mounted behind the camera/gimbal. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

One minutes of 5k 360 video is 4gb, I may not be able up upload to youtube today. 2K was only 1gb per minute.

Last edited:
Done the same with Ricoh Theta S. Some benefits there with light weight and HDMI output (2 hemispheres). Light enough that I can dual mount gimbal and spherical at the same time without noticable flight impact. Using an adhesive GoPro mount on belly with camera angled to rear. This gives unobstructed forward/down view from one lens and tends to balance gimbal weight.

However, processed spherical video output is very poor (VGA-ish in any given directions). Think this may be sure to Ricoh app, since once can see decent raw quality and stills are acceptable.

Anyway, encouraging enough that I might step up to Theta V model which does real time spherical sitting in HW that I could use with VR headset for real time FPV without a gimbal.

Also considering this setup for SLAM automated avoidance (if I ever get around to piggybacking a TX2... Might do on a different rig).

How’s the stabilization on the theta? The GoPro is near gimbal like quality but the size, weight and no hdmi output are downers. I’m also have an issues getting the 5k videos into FInal Cut Pro. The 4k works if formated to youtube but not to editing.

Done the same with Ricoh Theta S. Some benefits there with light weight and HDMI output (2 hemispheres). Light enough that I can dual mount gimbal and spherical at the same time without noticable flight impact. Using an adhesive GoPro mount on belly with camera angled to rear. This gives unobstructed forward/down view from one lens and tends to balance gimbal weight.

However, processed spherical video output is very poor (VGA-ish in any given directions). Think this may be sure to Ricoh app, since once can see decent raw quality and stills are acceptable.

Anyway, encouraging enough that I might step up to Theta V model which does real time spherical sitting in HW that I could use with VR headset for real time FPV without a gimbal.

Also considering this setup for SLAM automated avoidance (if I ever get around to piggybacking a TX2... Might do on a different rig).

I was considering installing a conventional rubber grommet vibration dampener, but initial flights with the There didn't seem to have any vibration issues.

Not sure if there is electronic stabilization or if simply the mass of the camera battery is dampening things already.

Improved resolution might surface vibration issues, but so far so good.

Any one have any experience with this rig? Price keeps dropping and if it goes another $50 I might jump in. (Heck, I can probably rasise the lion's share of the cost selling one of my gimbals.) This is for two SP360 cams and the mounting rig. Kodak PIXPRO SP360 4K Action Camera Aerial DVC-SP360 4K-BK-US-11
If you search YouTube there are some pretty impressive examples of what this can do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M