However, would it be beneficial to people to know if there was another gimbal/camera setup that worked, even if there's no smart shots available or camera control available? I think once it steadies the footage and the tilt still works, that's a lot more hopeful for future outlooks.
There are a couple of 3rd party conversion and a couple of DIY discussion here. I know another person off FB will be offering up a DIY kit some time in the future, which looks promising.

There is no gimbal crisis, at least from my perspective. There are plenty of options for Solo. The platform was built around a DIY community of ideas. It will continue on for some years to come, even if it looks different than today's Solo.

I can honestly say, that although it may seem daunting just thinking about it, if someone comes up with a gimbal solution, even it's a "buy the parts, DIY it yourself", I think that something I could live with. I think it's just a case of people agreeing and saying "this is a great alternative" rather than have 20 or 30 people all come out with their own solution using different parts and not giving clear instructions. After all, if there's one thing I can say for sure it's that everyone on this forum is great at following instructions to the T! Am I right or what? ......... ahem.........

Reactions: overdriver999
Today's pricing, the cheapest I've seen (buy it now and inc P&P or S&H depending on which term you like..) is $275. Highest? $314. There's got to be a breaking point.....

Today's pricing, the cheapest I've seen (buy it now and inc P&P or S&H depending on which term you like..) is $275. Highest? $314. There's got to be a breaking point.....
I know..those prices are unreasonable..these sellers that have them know there's a shortage and I know the gimbal was expensive when it came out but this is almost price gouging really.

I think that is just a price point.....breaking is why you're in the market to buy one.
but this is almost price gouging really.
LOL, gouging? No it's the free market, supply and demand... B&H is selling replacement DJl P4P gimbals for $700. You can buy a NIB Solo gimbal and GP4B for $575...who is gouging now?

I think that is just a price point.....breaking is why you're in the market to buy one.

LOL, gouging? No it's the free market, supply and demand... B&H is selling replacement DJl P4P gimbals for $700. You can buy a NIB Solo gimbal and GP4B for $575...who is gouging now?
Yes gouging..when a merchant jacks up the price of goods when a supply is low..just like gas stations do when there is a "shortage" of fuel...but yes you are absolutely correct..supply and demand..the supply is low and there is a pretty good demand because the solo is selling like hotcakes right now..and it's selling because a lot of people like myself who normally can't afford to go out a buy a high end drone are now able to afford to get their feet wet with a thousand dollar machine because of the drastic price drop...maybe I shouldn't have used such a strong term as gouging but you get the idea.

At some point we have to ask ourselves ..how much are we willing to pay for accessories on a drone that is almost 3 years old with technology advancing at an exponential rate, and a company that no longer makes consumer products. I'm curious how this will affect RCs and drones in the near future. Will Solo be ancient tech in a couple years?

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
At some point we have to ask ourselves ..how much are we willing to pay for accessories on a drone that is almost 3 years old with technology advancing at an exponential rate, and a company that no longer makes consumer products. I'm curious how this will affect RCs and drones in the near future. Will Solo be ancient tech in a couple years?
Yes,exactly...I've only owned the solo a few weeks and I love it..wish I had another one,and so far I'm in to it fairly deep financially in my opinion,but a gimbal for 300$ is kind of a lot..I definitely want one for sure and probably will pay a price for it..but I know a refurbished phantom 3 can be had for 400$ and that's with cam and gimbal...but at this point I've come too far to turn back now because the only piece I don't have is the gimbal...so it's like with anything else..you gotta pay to play and it's all for fun anyway and you only live once and all that stuff..
I love my Solo.

Nearly 2-1/2 years in and still nothing like it....the glass is only half full.

maybe I shouldn't have used such a strong term as gouging but you get the idea
Was just messing with you. But yeah, money talks, bullshit walks...blah-blah-blah...:cool:

Yes gouging..when a merchant jacks up the price of goods when a supply is low..just like gas stations do when there is a "shortage" of fuel...
Well not really, after all, they are still making gas.... they aren't making a solo gimbal. So supply is actually low, there's a demand and people do have the right to charge what they want for them. I won't hold that against them, but it would be nice for people to have an alternative, even if it means reduced functionality. However, that alternative may be a while coming, but with all the development going on, no doubt it will arrive.

By the way, Brand New Gimbal in box for sale, $3000. Laugh now, but in 6 months, email me!
:p

Well not really, after all, they are still making gas.... they aren't making a solo gimbal. So supply is actually low, there's a demand and people do have the right to charge what they want for them. I won't hold that against them, but it would be nice for people to have an alternative, even if it means reduced functionality. However, that alternative may be a while coming, but with all the development going on, no doubt it will arrive.

By the way, Brand New Gimbal in box for sale, $3000. Laugh now, but in 6 months, email me!
:p
Yes it would be great to have an alternative..and it will be.. there already is really... as far as the mark-up goes,It happens,its all for a dollar,i don't blame them,it works the same way with any and all merchandise,if the market is flooded the price will be low because of the large selection,it will always be that way..I just think it's funny how people like to cash in.. ,I saw a screen shot of them selling on eBay for less than 100$ 4 months ago I think I was and now,triple the price.
And for 3 grand I'll buy a used cropduster and zip tie my GoPro to it to get the shot

I was in a Best Buy when they were still selling solos at discount. I saw the sales assistant open a shelf door and there must have been 50 new gimbals in there. I kick myself today because I only bought 2 for the 39.99 sale price. I bought a $60 "parts only" bird on eBay when they started showing up and found it looked new, powered up and connected/tested just fine. I went downhill after that, got 3 more all checked out ok. Got some controllers too. Never did get one to tear apart. As Pyrate pointed out there is a lot of development going on and Solo is open source. No reason gimbals won't be developed/converted for it. Solo is robust and well engineered. Who wouldn't love it? I've got some DJI birds, but with all their buggy firmware / lockdown going on I would prefer my Solo(s) any day.

I hate to break it to everyone but the Solo is already an old dog; good ole dog, but old. There are so many good things about Solo, but so many weaknesses. The platform is good, motors and esc's are strong, frame is also sturdy. Batteries will dry up, or someone will make them. However, at this time batteries (like gimbals were) ARE cheap and apparently plentiful. They are at an all time low; less than $45 Ebay. Considering that my racer Lipo is 14.4v 2200Mah and are $35 Solo batts are a great deal. Parts are also readily available. So that part of the Solo question is good.

However, to get any real performance in distance you must install an upgrade RxTx card and antenna ($$$ and some time and know how in changing cards). Even then I haven't found the range to be worth a shit. So that is a weakness. Then there is the sometimes erratic nature of Solo to do things that are %^cked up. Like trying to take off after a rough BUT landable touchdown. What a POS! And some are reporting fly offs.

Second: and IMO the worst part about Solo is the lack of ANY extra channels/switches. That is lame. And although there is a nice group of people here, there is virtually no one (some butttttt rare-I can't find em) that are doing exotic mods on Solo: OSD, Sonar, Optical flow, multiple cameras, FLIR, full telemetry, stereo optic for 3d, or a myriad of other things that I have in my own builds (I have built ALL of those mods in, and have found many posts by hobbyists that will help set up a custom ship.) So that leaves the Solo as a just a platform to take pictures. (errr well only up to Hero 4, Hero 5 no fit sorry bout dat) So Solo pics will only be to Hero 4 specs. New and better camera specs leaves Solo farther back even more. But if one can be happy with the design and function Solo does then why buy another/newer/spendy'er?

That leaves the gimbal. Once the gimbal does not operate the Solo becomes a dinosaur; that fast! Once the gimbals dry up they WILL escalate in price. But only to the point of how cheap the Solo is at that time. At this writing I bought a guaranteed used gimbal on Ebay for $137 wIth shipping. That's about the same average price for a good gimbal of anyones. So it's not crazy yet. And if you're comparing: A Mavic repacemnet gimbal (with camera; only way to buy) is $275 Ouch.

So far Solo gimbals are cheap; just like Solo.Treat them right and Solo will continue to give a complete camera platform. But if you are going to stay in this hobby Solo will be replaced. There are just too many great quads for the future.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to everyone but the Solo is already an old dog; good ole dog, but old. There are so many good things about Solo, but so many weaknesses. The platform is good, motors and esc's are strong, frame is also sturdy. Batteries will dry up, or someone will make them. However, at this time batteries (like gimbals were) ARE cheap and apparently plentiful. They are at an all time low; less than $45 Ebay. Considering that my racer Lipo is 14.4v 2200Mah and are $35 Solo batts are a great deal. Parts are also readily available. So that part of the Solo question is good.

However, to get any real performance in distance you must install an upgrade RxTx card and antenna ($$$ and some time and know how in changing cards). Even then I haven't found the range to be worth a shit. So that is a weakness. Then there is the sometimes erratic nature of Solo to do things that are %^cked up. Like trying to take off after a rough BUT landable touchdown. What a POS! And some are reporting fly offs.

Second: and IMO the worst part about Solo is the lack of ANY extra channels/switches. That is lame. And although there is a nice group of people here, there is virtually no one (some butttttt rare-I can't find em) that are doing exotic mods on Solo: OSD, Sonar, Optical flow, multiple cameras, FLIR, full telemetry, stereo optic for 3d, or a myriad of other things that I have in my own builds (I have built ALL of those mods in, and have found many posts by hobbyists that will help set up a custom ship.) So that leaves the Solo as a just a platform to take pictures. (errr well only up to Hero 4, Hero 5 no fit sorry bout dat) So Solo pics will only be to Hero 4 specs. New and better camera specs leaves Solo farther back even more. But if one can be happy with the design and function Solo does then why buy another/newer/spendy'er?

That leaves the gimbal. Once the gimbal does not operate the Solo becomes a dinosaur; that fast! Once the gimbals dry up they WILL escalate in price. But only to the point of how cheap the Solo is at that time. At this writing I bought a guaranteed used one on Ebay for $137 wIth shipping. That's about the same average price for a good gimbal of anyones. So it's not crazy yet. And if you're comparing: A Mavic repacemnet gimbal (with camera; only way to buy) is $275 Ouch.

So far Solo gimbals are cheap; just like Solo.Treat them right and Solo will continue to give a complete camera platform. But if you are going to stay in this hobby Solo will be replaced. There are just too many great quads for the future.
I agree with this...i do love my Solo and enjoy it..I am already noticing the prices of solo and accessories going up in price,i assume it's because the stock is drying up..I finally found a new gimbal at a decent current price so now my Solo package will be complete. I'll just continue to fly it as is and doubt that I put any more money into it.. hopefully it will last me a while.

History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes
So do you imply my Solos are destined for the greatness that my Amiga achieved? Yes I do have an Amiga and I spotted the same characteristics in the Solo when it launched...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela