Gimbal HDMI failure fix options?

Reaction score
I think my HDMI from gimbal is either broken, loose, or shot. Process is elimination:

I removed the gimbal and attached the HDMI from within the Solo drone direct to GoPro H3B+. The same cable that connects to the gimbal internally. Video signal comes through perfect into Solo app.

Replace the Gimbal, try again and nothing. I know GoPro HDMI port works fine. HDMI from within Solo Donr eworks as well. My thought is it must be the gimbal.

Any other options to test before I buy a new gimbal?

I think you are correct, you covered everything connection wise to determine to point of failure.

Typically its been the hdmi connector off the gimbal circuit board, due to a variety of reasons. The connector can be replaced with reasonable soldering skills and a hot air soldering station... I posted up thread having done it, which includes the replacement connector I was able to source.

https://3drpilots.com/threads/solo-gimbal-micro-hdmi-type-d-connector-replacement.5084/

Other than that it's a new gimbal, either through warranty with 3DR or purchase through your choice of online retailers.

Reactions: Thomannjf
That sucks... Thanks for heads up. I doubt the HDMI plug on the camera connecting end of the gimbal ever breaks? Probably not the ribbon cable either.

Do you think it could be a loose solder connection or I need to replace the entire connector?

Do you think it could be a loose solder connection or I need to replace the entire connector?

Like I said the cause has a number of reason, then what failed is equally numbered. I'd say it is a 51% chance of success, based on solder pads being intact or the quality of the re-work. On my example, I re-worked and tested installed 10 times till I was satisfied. Learning curve....;)

You could re-flow the existing connector with hot air, but it's a task using the existing lead-free solder... Leaded solder stays wetter longer and with less heat.... I found the factory connector's terminals bridged when I attempted to re-use...

A member commented to me that the micro hdmi terminals are like butterfly wings, doesn't take much to knock them off. Words of wisdom...

Hey Rich I bought a couple gimbals on eBay one was supposed to only be missing the retaining clip and the other with a "bent arm" but once received it had a note taped to the box saying "won't level" anyhow the one with the missing clip is having the same issues as described above and I ran the same tests the OP did to come to the conclusion that it's the gimbals hdmi cable connection somewhere. It powers on levels and responds to commands from the controller and has the pulsating green light. That said can you take a look at it? I been watching your Gimbal salvage and repair thread. I see you've got the skills, tools, and knowledge to fix many things.
Just let me know here or PM with details. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig