Gimbal data cable - Admitted wrong theory

Will post a video this next week. Just wanted to share what I learned, that others already knew....Peace.

Oh oh... more mods I need to do then :)

I did remember seeing how STIFF the data cable is and it might have touched my gimbal top round stainless steel "flywheel" . If I mod this I think I may use wires from my KDE motor which I think is a silicone. But since I cant get the connectors, I may need to solder the silicone wires in between the stiff wires... he he he

Last edited:
So, just to recap a little, stripping the stiff insulation from the data cable helps and doesn't cause any interference?

So, just to recap a little, stripping the stiff insulation from the data cable helps and doesn't cause any interference?
The stock data cable has no RF shielding. It's just two pieces of heat shrink (original design) and then a mesh jacket, all mechanical in purpose.

HDMI cable does have shielding....

If I mod this I think I may use wires from my KDE motor which I think is a silicone. But since I cant get the connectors, I may need to solder the silicone wires in between the stiff wires... he he he
Interesting idea, I'm fairly certain my T-Motor power leads are silicone. At the least they are stranded wire rather than solid....

Oh oh... more mods I need to do then :)

I did remember seeing how STIFF the data cable is and it might have touched my gimbal top round stainless steel "flywheel" . If I mod this I think I may use wires from my KDE motor which I think is a silicone. But since I cant get the connectors, I may need to solder the silicone wires in between the stiff wires... he he he
If i recall correctly, I'm using 26 gauge silicone wiring for the two power lines and 28 for the remaining data lines. This is not based on any technical knowledge, just the sizing I found on an older cable prototype.

Reactions: RichWest
I've used 28 gauge on the little connectors I've made, and haven't noticed any ill effect. 28 gauge is good for 1.4 amps continuous, and that's "by the book" for chassis wiring, so there's a good deal of headroom built into that. And the spec on the actual connector is only 1 amp, so that would lead me to believe it's not drawing more than that.

Fluxley...

I stripped the insulation off mine...if doing that reduced vibes, I couldn't tell...but it does stand to reason that it made SOME difference.

My gut feeling is that it might have made a 10% difference (but again, I couldn't see ANY), and that replacing the actual wires with something much softer will make up the other 90% difference.

--

Bill

I've used 28 gauge on the little connectors I've made, and haven't noticed any ill effect. 28 gauge is good for 1.4 amps continuous, and that's "by the book" for chassis wiring, so there's a good deal of headroom built into that. And the spec on the actual connector is only 1 amp, so that would lead me to believe it's not drawing more than that.[/Usernam

OK, building one of these extension sounds like a great idea (thanks SO much to User Name for getting this off the ground and providing expertise, and to RichWest for doing more test flying, etc)...so just to summarize these items are needed:

1) Plug - 503149-0800 Molex | Mouser
Terminal - 502381-0000 (Loose Piece) Molex | Mouser

2) Header: Headers & Wire Housings 8P PCB RECEPTACLE 2 ROW WIRE-TO-BOARD

3) 28 gauge wire: Striveday™ 28 AWG Flexible Silicone Wire

4) A crimper tool...Like this? Glarks SN-28B Dupont Terminal Professional Pin Crimping Tool for 2.54mm 3.96mm 28-18AWG 0.1-1.0mm2

5) The further improvement would be to REPLACE the entire stock data cable all the way to the main board, but we don't yet know what kind of connector to use (and some of our (older?) Solos have the wires soldered directly to the board), correct?

Thanks...

--

Bill

5) The further improvement would be to REPLACE the entire stock data cable all the way to the main board, but we don't yet know what kind of connector to use (and some of our (older?) Solos have the wires soldered directly to the board), correct?-

That would be the best option, but yes, older Solos have the cable soldered directly to the main board, and there's a plastic plate/cover on the bottom that covers the area it's soldered, so it's difficult to access without disassembly probably beyond what most would want to do. Newer Solos have the cable going into some sort of header that looks like it might be removable, but I've found no way to remove it. I've pried on it and it showed absolutely no sign of lifting. The extension cable is about as easy a solution as you can get under the circumstances.

If enough people are interested, I'd consider making these. I already have the tools and materials from other work I do. They're not particularly difficult to make, but as always, it's hard for someone to justify the tools, materials and time just to make a single one.

Reactions: pyrate and RichWest
If enough people are interested, I'd consider making these. I already have the tools and materials from other work I do. They're not particularly difficult to make, but as always, it's hard for someone to justify the tools, materials and time just to make a single one.
I'm about to go out and fly, readjusted the cabling to fit better under the hood. Excited to see the results, yesterday's effort of the original install had very nice results. Still work to do with these improved results, but I'm extremely encouraged by what I've seen so far.

I encourage you to offer these up for purchase. Not an easy task and plenty of room for a mistake in construction if this would be your first or second attempt in assembling these small crimps. I have no finesse in crimping these terminals, wasted plenty in my attempts. The click-mate connector is a one shot assembly, extracting pins from the plug is destructive to the plug body, if not to the crimp itself.

Your design is close to perfect, as it can be installed today without much effort and then converted later to a soldered in solution. Again well thought out for fit and function. Peace.

Reactions: pyrate
So are yall splicing these in? how does the cable deal with the soldered in side? are you just connecting to the existing like an extension?

That would be the best option, but yes, older Solos have the cable soldered directly to the main board, and there's a plastic plate/cover on the bottom that covers the area it's soldered, so it's difficult to access without disassembly probably beyond what most would want to do. Newer Solos have the cable going into some sort of header that looks like it might be removable, but I've found no way to remove it. I've pried on it and it showed absolutely no sign of lifting. The extension cable is about as easy a solution as you can get under the circumstances.

never mind I see its an extension

Thanks Rich, I hope your tests continue to go well.

Here's how I have my cable routed. As much of both the stock cable and the extension is free floating, and with how soft the silicon wire is, it really should pretty much eliminate the data cable as a source of vibrations.

extension.jpg

So ok, I'll make up a batch of cables, maybe a dozen or so at a time. Just need to order some more of the click mate headers. I have meters and meters of silicon wire... when I find a good source of the really flexible stuff... I stock up!

Reactions: pious_greek and SPP
Thanks Rich, I hope your tests continue to go well.

Here's how I have my cable routed. As much of both the stock cable and the extension is free floating, and with how soft the silicon wire is, it really should pretty much eliminate the data cable as a source of vibrations.

View attachment 6059

So ok, I'll make up a batch of cables, maybe a dozen or so at a time. Just need to order some more of the click mate headers. I have meters and meters of silicon wire... when I find a good source of the really flexible stuff... I stock up!
Thanks for doing this- I'll take one too!

Wow..UserName that is a sweet looking extension cable. Bravo !!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo