Gimbal Dance

Reaction score
After 150 flights I finally hit a tree. Now the gimbal when I turn on the solo does a repetitive dance.
I have tried tying into mission planner and adjusting the gimbal mix. The counter weights are in place. I have taken gimbal off and re-attached the hdmi and wiring harness to no avail. Gimbal light is green in back.
Looking for some alternatives

You've probably FUBAR'd the IMU on board the gimbal. Not a lot to be done yet, unless and until someone can figure out how to diagnose and then swap the chip on the board

Reactions: Thomannjf
It's not like two years ago, gimbals are inexpensive now. I purchased a couple spares for under $60.

Have you checked prices recently? Most places it's up around $150/ea

Have you checked prices recently? Most places it's up around $150/ea

Gimbal prices are volatile, many of us purchased spares when they were around $50.

I paid $399 for my original gimbal and $999 for my Solo, still worth every penny.

B&H has this deal:
3DR 3DR Solo Quadcopter Kit with 3-Axis Gimbal and Backpack B&H

I purchased two of these combos from Best Buy when they were $299 so I have plenty of spares. Solo, gimbal and backpack for less than my original gimbal.

After 150 flights I finally hit a tree. Now the gimbal when I turn on the solo does a repetitive dance.
I have tried tying into mission planner and adjusting the gimbal mix. The counter weights are in place. I have taken gimbal off and re-attached the hdmi and wiring harness to no avail. Gimbal light is green in back.
Looking for some alternatives
You have 2 alternatives:

Buy a new gimbal
Fly without one. Sorry.

It was odd has the prices recently doubl
Gimbal prices are volatile, many of us purchased spares when they were around $50.

I paid $399 for my original gimbal and $999 for my Solo, still worth every penny.

B&H has this deal:
3DR 3DR Solo Quadcopter Kit with 3-Axis Gimbal and Backpack B&H

I purchased two of these combos from Best Buy when they were $299 so I have plenty of spares. Solo, gimbal and backpack for less than my original gimbal.
BTW Robbi, your videos are really looking good. Very impressive quality.

Thanks Rich, I had hopes my P4 would come up to Solo's autonomous standards; however, every firmware release from dji it gets worse.

I decided to fit a new lens to my GP4B to get it up to my P4's fov. I'm very happy with the results, color saturation with an ND4 filer is good and the horizon is nearly flat.

Only issue is I'm out of focus. I used the GP app to focus the new lens but the resolution is too low to properly focus so objects up close look great but the subject is blurry. I'm going to purchase a mini HDMI cable and focus my GP properly.

every firmware release from dji it gets worse.

I decided to fit a new lens to my GP4B to get it up to my P4's fov. I'm very happy with the results, color saturation with an ND4 filer is good and the horizon is nearly flat.

Only issue is I'm out of focus. I used the GP app to focus the new lens but the resolution is too low to properly focus so objects up close look great but the subject is blurry. I'm going to purchase a mini HDMI cable and focus my GP properly.
First, you live no where near a flat horizon, so it is not an issue...;) If it is, correct in post. But yeah, I have a lazy gimbal that tends to slowly level off out of a turn.

When I began my gimbal isolator mods, I'd measure the top plate height off the beauty plate to insure all the dampers were even. Found if not, the gimbal would hold a lean. My present solution is within 0.1mm of each other when the isolators bear no weight.

Focus is a tricky thing, I hope you can get it sorted out. I thought forever that my camera was out of focus, even off a tripod. Turned out to be my grading skills were lacking, still are actually as I can't dial in PT/Flat. I tend to be over-exposed which makes the image less focused. Caliche is bright in the sun... I find ND4 and an EV0.5 has good results.

I've been tossing around the idea to buy a Peau Camera setup, just wanting a turnkey and done camera. Can't decide on the FOV, would really like to test them all out before I buy....on my bird. But the reality, I'm just piddling with this flying stuff.

Again great videos, scenery is amazing and really cool what you are able to get out of Solo.

First, you live no where near a flat horizon, so it is not an issue...;) If it is, correct in post. But yeah, I have a lazy gimbal that tends to slowly level off out of a turn.

When I began my gimbal isolator mods, I'd measure the top plate height off the beauty plate to insure all the dampers were even. Found if not, the gimbal would hold a lean. My present solution is within 0.1mm of each other when the isolators bear no weight.

Focus is a tricky thing, I hope you can get it sorted out. I thought forever that my camera was out of focus, even off a tripod. Turned out to be my grading skills were lacking, still are actually as I can't dial in PT/Flat. I tend to be over-exposed which makes the image less focused. Caliche is bright in the sun... I find ND4 and an EV0.5 has good results.

I've been tossing around the idea to buy a Peau Camera setup, just wanting a turnkey and done camera. Can't decide on the FOV, would really like to test them all out before I buy....on my bird. But the reality, I'm just piddling with this flying stuff.

Again great videos, scenery is amazing and really cool what you are able to get out of Solo.

I just can't warrant the buying of a GoPro for my Solo and I think I'd go with the GitUp Git 2 with the 90 FOV factory mounted lens on the camera.
We have FLAT COUNTRY here and a fisheye view is no good which is what you get with the GoPros. The gimbal is really great on the Solo and
the Solo is a real good camera platform.

It's not like two years ago, gimbals are inexpensive now. I purchased a couple spares for under $60.

I looked at all the items on Frys and could not find a link. I have a feeling based statements made by Solo , that they are exiting the Consumer market support for the Gimbal is DONE... It would be interesting to know from any wholesaler if they still have the ability to order the Gimbal. 3DR is not offering them on they website as best I can tell. Are we all going to have flying bricks?

Your best bet would be to buy a whole new Solo and gimbal from B&H for $300. I can't believe the gimbals are selling for $200 now. They were ~$45 at one point.
If it makes you feel any better, when Solo first came out it was $1000, and an extra $400 for the gimbal. You are still waaaaay ahead!

Reactions: EZL
Real hard to beat a $300.00 price on the Solo and gimbal! I thought I was getting a good deal on a gimbal for $80.00.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea