3DR Gimbal work without solo? Thoughts?

Reaction score
So, I was recently at an REI garage sale here in Seattle. If anyone of you know how these work, basically they are a big event held every 3 months or so where REI opens their doors to the public on returned items. At the most recent event, I was able to pick up a 3DR gimbal for $40. The reason for return was that the item "pointed straight down and did not work". Knowing what I know about wires touching the motors and proper usage of the counter weights, I figured what the heck and purchased it anyways. Turns out that when mounted up to my 3DR it actually works perfect. No issues or whatever. So I asked myself, what are the possibilities.

Here is what I want to do:

I want to take the gimbal and 3D Print a grip that holsters the entire thing so that I basically have a hand held gimbal for shots on the ground.

What I know:

The gimbal receives commands for aiming as you use the trigger to aim the angle of the gimbal. The board also provides power to the gimbal.

How I am hoping this will work:

I am hoping that I can figure out the operating voltage and amperage. create a wiring harness that provides the correct juice. And mount a battery. My thoughts on this is that the 3 gyros used to provide the steady actuation are all onboard the gimbal itself and minus 0-90 degree control, should keep the gimbal just pointed straight if I just provide power.

Please comment on this and tell me what you think! ORRR if you have seen this, please post a link! :D

Thank you,

Keegan

Reactions: Tamj
I can't really help much with this because I've never done this but I would be very interested in seeing where this goes.

Good luck!

I bought something from B&H for about $300 that has a gimbal and works with my GoPro and there are versions for cell phones and small cameras. That is the easiest way. To do it.

Sometimes swimming against the current isn't valuable, unless you like to do it.

So, I was recently at an REI garage sale here in Seattle. If anyone of you know how these work, basically they are a big event held every 3 months or so where REI opens their doors to the public on returned items. At the most recent event, I was able to pick up a 3DR gimbal for $40. The reason for return was that the item "pointed straight down and did not work". Knowing what I know about wires touching the motors and proper usage of the counter weights, I figured what the heck and purchased it anyways. Turns out that when mounted up to my 3DR it actually works perfect. No issues or whatever. So I asked myself, what are the possibilities.

I want to take the gimbal and 3D Print a grip that holsters the entire thing so that I basically have a hand held gimbal for shots on the ground.

What I know:

The gimbal receives commands for aiming as you use the trigger to aim the angle of the gimbal. The board also provides power to the gimbal.

I am hoping that I can figure out the operating voltage and amperage. create a wiring harness that provides the correct juice. And mount a battery. My thoughts on this is that the 3 gyros used to provide the steady actuation are all onboard the gimbal itself and minus 0-90 degree control, should keep the gimbal just pointed straight if I just provide power.

Please comment on this and tell me what you think! ORRR if you have seen this, please post a link! :D

Thank you,

Keegan

Now see, I would do something like this because i like to play.
But truth is, that is exactly why using the Gopro on the Solo was a GOOD idea in spite of the naysayers.

There are many handheld gimbals for the Gopro already. Like the FY models
There have everything from ones that mount on your helmet to handhelds and yes even ones for UAVs

Right now you can grab their 3 ultra model cheap.
That is what I have.
So when I am in the air, my gopro is in solo
Walking around my gopro is in my FYtech G3 Ultra
Under the waves I use a stick from SeaDoo

In one day my GH4 can go from 400 feet in the Air to 100 feet under the ocean and everywhere in between

We're using the same Gimbal. I wish I had purchased the larger unit for my Rx100M4

dang I may just hop in there and try it for fun. see whats happens.

What I know:

Thank you,

Keegan

Hello,
This will not work. The gimbal attitude estimation is done onboard Solo. The products cannot be separated. You could potentially do it if you had a Pixhawk wired up to it with the correct firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44