Getting the Solo or?

Reaction score
Hi guys

So, I'm out to buy my first camera drone. At the moment I'm in 2 worlds as to which one to get. I'm tipping between the Solo + Gimbal or the Phantom 3 Pro.
The reason I'm posting this here, is that I'm leaning a bit more to the Solo, but what is holding me back is all the issues people are or were having. So how serious are the issues and have most of them been resolved?

I'm located in Scandinavia, but will be buying it in the US. Sending it back to US for repairs will be a costly affair, so I need to take this into consideration as well. But this will be the case if I chose the Phantom 3 as well.

What I like about the Solo compared to the Phantom 3, is the looks of it, the controller and the features out of the box.

Hi guys

So, I'm out to buy my first camera drone. At the moment I'm in 2 worlds as to which one to get. I'm tipping between the Solo + Gimbal or the Phantom 3 Pro.
The reason I'm posting this here, is that I'm leaning a bit more to the Solo, but what is holding me back is all the issues people are or were having. So how serious are the issues and have most of them been resolved?

I'm located in Scandinavia, but will be buying it in the US. Sending it back to US for repairs will be a costly affair, so I need to take this into consideration as well. But this will be the case if I chose the Phantom 3 as well.

What I like about the Solo compared to the Phantom 3, is the looks of it, the controller and the features out of the box.
If you like tech go with the solo, it has far more potential to grow. If you like simplicity go with the phantom, what you see is what you get but it does work. When you crash(not if) the solo is going to take the hit far better and 3dr's customer service is stellar, dji's cs sucks.

With the added logistics go with the company that has the best reputation for standing behind their products
no brainer

I agree with pyrate and Bigsky. The Solo platform is designed to expand down the road so you don't have to buy a new UAV just to keep up with the newest technology. Also if you read past posts on here, the Solo can take crashes pretty well without major problems. And, you would be hard pressed to find better customer support than 3DR offers. As with any new technology, there are problems in the beginning, but as they are worked out, I think the Solo will be a better buy for you. Also, welcome to the forum. You won't find a greater group of people to answer any questions or concern you may have. I am sure most world recommend also starting with a lower end quad to learn the basic flying skills. My lower end quad was a Phantom.....oops, did I really just say that? My bad! I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks a lot for all the replies so far :)

I'm all for the Solo, I really LOVE the looks of both the quad and controller, only thing that "worries" me are those issues mentioned in several reviews and on here. But if most of those issues has been fixed, I'll probably go for the Solo.

And as I already got a GoPro Hero 4 Black, it should be the right choice.

Just a quick question, is it possible to "control" the GoPro from the controller now? As I've read previously, that wasn't the case when the gimbal first came out, except for start/stop recording.

Full camera control is not there, yet. The word is it is coming in a update very soon. I am happy with the camera controls we have now, and the next update should provide the extra icing on top. We now have start/stop recording as well as gimbal pan and gimbal preset angles. You can also use the gimbal paddle on the left to start/stop recording as well. It all makes for more enjoyable aerial recording. When I am out flying, I get more people asking about my Solo than I ever did with my Phantom, due to the different look. I hope this helps you some.

Thanks a lot for all the replies so far :)

I'm all for the Solo, I really LOVE the looks of both the quad and controller, only thing that "worries" me are those issues mentioned in several reviews and on here. But if most of those issues has been fixed, I'll probably go for the Solo.

And as I already got a GoPro Hero 4 Black, it should be the right choice.

Just a quick question, is it possible to "control" the GoPro from the controller now? As I've read previously, that wasn't the case when the gimbal first came out, except for start/stop recording.
They both have their issues, just go to the other forum and do some reading. I have a P3 Pro and god forbid I have a problem with it and have to deal with customer service. So far I have dodged the bullet. Just realize we are dealing with new tech that is still in it's infancy and their is going to be problems. It is in how each company handles those issues that really matters.

Reactions: Chuck
I gave Solo a fair chance but ended up sending it back. Multiple contact with 3DR support on the issues I was having was a waste of time with them blaming my tablet, the temperature outside, too much wifi in the area, etc. This weekend I was participating in a drone race event where I saw a guy with a Solo. At least once I saw him with a worried look on his face so I asked him if he had lost connection and it was RTL which he confirmed. Long story short, he is buying my remaining two solo batteries next week.

I'll probably go for the Solo. The more I look at it, the more I want it :D

Where would be the best place to buy it? I'll be in New York from the 2'nd december to the 11'th.

If you don't already have a GoPro - I wouldn't ever consider the Solo. You can buy an I1 for $500 more, once you pony up the money for Solo and GoPro. With apps like FreeSkies Copilot and AutoFlight Logic will get you some of the same functionality.

I do have a GoPro Hero 4 Black and I think the I1 is out of my budget. Also I'm new to drones with cameras, and bigger drones in general. So I do think putting up 1400$ for something I might like or not, is a lot of money. I do have experience flying smaller drones, and really enjoy that though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44