Getting internet to Solo Android Tablet (non-cellular)

Reaction score
I'm thinking this has probably been asked but I'm not finding it (maybe using wrong search terms). Has anyone figured out how to tether to a non-cell tablet being used with solo. I figured I could bluetooth tether to my iphone but android won't let me have the bluetooth internet active if wireless is connected.

Bluetooth tethering with Android is funky at best. I don't know if it is due to carrier restrictions, versions of Android, or customizations made by the vendors but it can work on one device and not on another. There are apps. in the play store that purport to enable this functionality (I had some success with PdaNet+ IIRC) and even when one gets it working the "working" part is a mixed bag. I would find it would work for a browser but not work for an email client.
This has been discussed in other threads ("Solex" being one), the "Search" icon up top has a friendly enough interface. ;)

Oops, sorry: hit "Post" and then re-read your original and saw that you had tried search. When I used:
"bluetooth tether"

I got quite a few hits.
Maybe that?

I think your problem is the android to apple. As I understand the 2 don't play nice with Bluetooth internet tether

I can tether my android tablet to my iPhone for wifi/internet and that works fine. What I can't do, is after it's tethered for wifi access, then if I connect to the SOLO app, I lose the internet connection because you can only connect to one wifi connection at once. I'm going to try to connect via bluetooth, but dunno how that will go. I'll report back.

Here is your solution.
Turn off WiFi on phone and tablet. Tether the phone to the tablet using Bluetooth. This will be your internet link. Once that link is up and working, turn on WiFi on the tablet only and join your Solo WiFi network. If you don't turn off WiFi the phone doesn't want to tether over Bluetooth.
This works well on my iPhone and Galaxy Tab A.

I cant get a BT connection from Iphone 5, 5s, or 7 to my Galaxy tab a......WTF...

yes, out of 3 iphones, I can get the oldest Iphone5 to connect, but data wont pass, it still says no internet on tab A...that iphone has version 6.1.2, 5S has v10.0.2, 7 has v10.2.1.......I dont get it, unless it a version issue???

I'm on an iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.2, but honestly have not done the BT tethering in a few months. I just preload the maps when I go somewhere now.

I'm not having much luck with BT tethering on an iPhone 7 Plus running 10.3.2 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 running 6.0.1

I have wifi turned off on both devices. They will attempt to pair and then the iPhone will immediately disconnect. When I attempt to reconnect I get an error message that Galaxy Tab is not supported.

Any ideas or do I have to resort to just downloading maps offline?

Attachments

• IMG_2556.PNG
    IMG_2556.PNG
    202.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks mrreddog! Does anyone know if this is device specific or iOS just doesn't want to talk with Android devices?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40