Bug: Can't fully connect to Solo if using Bluetooth for internet

Reaction score
So I don't have a LTE tablet, but it has WiFi and BlueTooth.

So I used BlueTooth to connect to my cell phone to get the internet connection from my cell phone(using FoxFi and PDANet client app on the tablet).

When doing this, the Solo App can't fully read data from the Solo bird. It says it's disconnected, yet it can read things like GPS status (it reports via voice as the GPS gets a good link etc.

This needs to be fixed! :) I haven't yet reported it to 3DR as I couldn't create a support ticket when the Solo App was connected to the net via BlueTooth.

Does anyone else have a non LTE tablet and have you tried to get internet access via BlueTooth when connected to Solo via WiFi?

Oh, since you may say 'just use my cell phone for the Solo App', it won't allow me to download the Solo App for my phone (it says that it's not compatible with my phone) even though my phone meets the minimum Android requirements listed online.

I don't think this is a function of the Solo App. More a function of the the device and routing.

I am trying to resolve something now with Satellite maps. I tried to all support but playing the 20 minute on hold and get hung up on game.

Just realized that Solo is using Bing maps and not Google and I am not sure you can cache Bing maps like you can Google.

I think Bluetooth connects over 2.4GHz so it could be interfering with Solo's WiFi.

I think its more of a routing thing. As in either Wifi or Bluetooth. The tablet connects to Wifi in Solo controller and gets an IP and talks to the Solo. Turn on bluetooth and it thinks that it is the connection. Not smart enough to do multi routes.

Could be wrong. Next time I talk to 3DR if I get someone about 3 steps closer to engineering from the CSR I will quiz them about it.

I agree.. Your tablet is going to look for internet via WiFi.

I think its more of a routing thing. As in either Wifi or Bluetooth. The tablet connects to Wifi in Solo controller and gets an IP and talks to the Solo. Turn on bluetooth and it thinks that it is the connection. Not smart enough to do multi routes.

Could be wrong. Next time I talk to 3DR if I get someone about 3 steps closer to engineering from the CSR I will quiz them about it.

Is there a way to display the video to another ipad but outside the place that the bird is flying. Like from other state/country?

You could stream the video from the tablet to the internet. Not related to the Solo itself.

The Nvidia Shield has an option/app built in to do that. DJI phantom 3 has option in app for that as well. Solo has no native support for this.

I suppose its possible with 3rd party hardware to stream the HDMI video out of Solo controller too.

So if you are asking if there is anything built in. No.

IMHO the solo app should know the IP address of the solo and not try to go out the other internet port to try to learn info from the solo.

Similar to having an LTE internet connection, it knows enough not to try to use that.

IMHO the solo app should know the IP address of the solo and not try to go out the other internet port to try to learn info from the solo.

Similar to having an LTE internet connection, it knows enough not to try to use that.
Might be more of a device limitation. Connect to the Solo over WiFi and then bring up your browser and see if you can access the internet. I know on my LTE tablets, I can not use both for data. If connected by WiFi to the Solo, can't get data over LTE at the same time. But that's not an App issue.

Maybe it's the order that I did the connection. I think I had the Solo connected first, and then I remembered to turn on the BlueTooth.

I'll try again tomorrow to turn on the BlueTooth first and then connect to the Solo.

I would agree your IMHO is correct.

I think its a down and dirty way to make a simple connection using a standard protocol. The Solo Controller is a DHCP server and they just use basic Wifi. Same as old Phantom V+.

I just don't think its designed for multi routes.

My big issue right now is I cant get Satellite map unless I open app while on internet WiFi and then load the map and then switch to Solo WiFi. Problem is I run out of map flying.

Its obvious they are using Bing for maps and Not Google like the P3.

Its obvious they are using Bing for maps and Not Google like the P3.

Odd I just noticed it says Google maps at bottom... but at my house it's old satellite view. I pull up Google maps app and it's different (current)

So not bing. Still won't cache.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Might be more of a device limitation. Connect to the Solo over WiFi and then bring up your browser and see if you can access the internet. I know on my LTE tablets, I can not use both for data. If connected by WiFi to the Solo, can't get data over LTE at the same time. But that's not an App issue.
I believe Solo App disconnects when you access different browser via new window, but good thing that the controller still connects to the bird as a fail safe...

Odd I just noticed it says Google maps at bottom... but at my house it's old satellite view. I pull up Google maps app and it's different (current)

So not bing. Still won't cache.

In my tower view, it's a very up to date view, but I can't find a way to download the cached view.

Rich thanks. I did not even think about looking at tower.

Here is part of my lot. There is about 3 or 4 years difference. I can tell because the Solo is showing the first year I built the house and had no grass.
solotower.jpg

I tried this again today. Connected to Bluetooth Internet first, then connected to solo wifi and started the solo app.

Same problem, I get ready to fly from app, but a lot of data from the solo is not being displayed and I can't see gopo video.

I think this should work similar to having an lte connection while connected to solo via wifi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela