Getting a Mavic Pro

The Mavic arrived on Friday and I got to fly it a couple of times and the thing that I can't get over is the size when I take into consideration all of the features that it has. A really cool drone.

One thing that I noticed immediately as it was hovering @ 10' is that it's much more susceptible to the wind than the Solo.

The Mavic arrived on Friday and I got to fly it a couple of times and the thing that I can't get over is the size when I take into consideration all of the features that it has. A really cool drone.

One thing that I noticed immediately as it was hovering @ 10' is that it's much more susceptible to the wind than the Solo.
Yes, as someone who routinely flies SOLO in 25kt winds (hey, it's windy here. Lots), I was gobsmacked to see what the Mavic fans were calling "high winds". 10-16kts..

Last edited:

That was one of the reasons that I opted for the Karma. I hoped it would be better in the wind.

Yeah the Solo is better in high wind due to its size and weight. However, small price to pay for the Mavic's portability and features. I suggest testing out "ActiveTrack" (don't forget: Mavic has no rear obstacle sensors) and "Gesture" flying modes.

I have some complaints about the "Point of Interest" mode (Orbit shots) because unlike Solo, you have to fly directly above the center of the location first, THEN you can set your speeds and radius etc. Found that to be frustrating when filming sports games or other groups of people that I may want to take orbit shots of, but not hover directly over top of them while I'm setting up. Solo allows you to setup your orbit shots while hovering on your radius

Indeed. We all have different needs. I would've been grounded most of the past month with a phantom or mavic, but I don't have as much need for super-fast setup and take-down.

Indeed. We all have different needs. I would've been grounded most of the past month with a phantom or mavic, but I don't have as much need for super-fast setup and take-down.

Exactly true! I honestly believe through my EXHAUSTIVE research that there isn't a perfect platform for everyone. I've found that my number one hot button is built in display, of all things. There there's permanently mounted blades. Then ease/speed of setup, portability, etc. I will say this, you might think that you don't care about setup time but, like so many things in life, you don't miss it until you've had it.

I was driving downtown yesterday and saw a flag on a crane at a construction site. Not a lot of parking, so pulled off the road and was in the air in about 30 seconds. Got the shot and was gone in maybe 5 minutes. No way with my Solo.

Flag.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful shot. But because I run a checklist every time I fly, I'd never be in the air in 30 seconds anyways....

That is a beautiful shot. But because I run a checklist every time I fly, I'd never be in the air in 30 seconds anyways....

Well that just shows that there's no perfect platform for everyone. So you'd have the same problem with DJI Spark or Mavic.

Have Phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic Pro and Solo. Had the Phantom well over a year now and its about wore out. Got the Mavic and the Solo one day apart back in February. Fly all three on my days off. I have to say been flying the Solo the most lately as I feel it handles the wind better. I cant go far with the WiFi signal as compared to the DJI lightbridge and Ocusync but for some reason I like flying it.

I have a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Pro, as well as four Solos. I use the Phantom the least of all, but you just can't beat the portability of the Mavic. When I travel, the Mavic and its case just slip right into my carry-on bag for ease of flying. TSA has never taken a second look at my Mavic. The Solo is far superior, though, for photography, and it will handle wind probably better than any drone flying. If it just wasn't locked to an older edition of GoPro...

It funny how "partisan" drone pilots are! If you go on any of these forums, there are folks that HATE another brand! I was just dealing with a GoPro hater the other day. It's worse than Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge in the truck world. Fellas, these are basically toys for grown ups! Settle down!

LOL! Too true! I have many brands of drones and I like them all. What's not to like about a drone? I have my preferences, sure, but they're based on use, not on brand. Some take better pictures, some fly further, some have better acrobatic abilities...

(P.S., with trucks, it's Ford. With cars, it's Dodge. Just for the record! :-D)

LOL! Too true! I have many brands of drones and I like them all. What's not to like about a drone? I have my preferences, sure, but they're based on use, not on brand. Some take better pictures, some fly further, some have better acrobatic abilities...

(P.S., with trucks, it's Ford. With cars, it's Dodge. Just for the record! :-D)

I'm a Pontiac man myself... I still drive one and can't give it up for a new model.

Yeah I didn't THINK I needed super fast setup time either, but once you experience it, its hard to understand how I lived without it. My setup checklist takes 30 seconds to complete typically so can still be done and flying within less than a minute

Because it means you spend more time flying/leaning and less time setting up and dealing with unforeseen troubleshooting (often the biggest time killer)

I need to do more "pull over and fly" type examples like above, to get some more interesting shots. Sucks living in the city. Can get some cool footage but its almost all illegal

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't THINK I needed super fast setup time either, but once you experience it, its hard to understand how I lived without it. My setup checklist takes 30 seconds to complete typically so can still be done and flying within less than a minute

Because it means you spend more time flying/leaning and less time setting up and dealing with unforeseen troubleshooting (often the biggest time killer)

I need to do more "pull over and fly" type examples like above, to get some more interesting shots. Sucks living in the city. Can get some cool footage but its almost all illegal

Yea the "illegal" shots are why you need fast set up/tear down! Hahaha!

Seriously though, yesterday I was at the pier and a boat was going by, I had my bird out of the bag and filming it in a minute. That's the difference between getting some cool video and not getting it.

Yea the "illegal" shots are why you need fast set up/tear down! Hahaha!

Seriously though, yesterday I was at the pier and a boat was going by, I had my bird out of the bag and filming it in a minute. That's the difference between getting some cool video and not getting it.

Yes, I love my Mavic Pro for the same portability and rapid setup. But I still feel the Solo is a better all-around photography/videography platform. The camera on the Mavic is a compromise due to its size and weight. Not knocking the Mavic at all, as the video is still great. The other thing I like about the Mavic is its stealthy nature. I can take off and land from behind a bush, and once in the air the gray color of the Mavic really makes it blend in with the sky. Of course that makes it more difficult to track visually.

I love having honest discussions about this stuff, btw. I wish there was a generic drone pilots forum (wait, is there one?).

You brought up one of the very reasons I compromised and bought the Karma. I felt the Hero 5 would be a better camera. There's no denying that the Mavic is a better drone. Plus, I'm guessing the Karma will accept the Hero 6. I honestly believe that the Karma falls in between the two platforms for the most part.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
Oh and for the record, I haven't given up my second Solo yet! I have 2 Samsung Gear 360s that I'm thinking about mounting on it. Should be interesting.

My expectations must be REALLY low because I'm really happy with the Mavic's camera. It's 12 mp for photos and 4k video; seriously, what is the limitation? Aren't those gopro specs?

My expectations must be REALLY low because I'm really happy with the Mavic's camera. It's 12 mp for photos and 4k video; seriously, what is the limitation? Aren't those gopro specs?

You have to look at aperture, iso, f stop, sensor size, frames per second, etc. I agree that it's close to Hero 4 numbers but I believe the Hero 5 has it beat. Not to mention the Hero 6 which will be compatible with the Karma.

Reactions: DJMc
You have to look at aperture, iso, f stop, sensor size, frames per second, etc. I agree that it's close to Hero 4 numbers but I believe the Hero 5 has it beat. Not to mention the Hero 6 which will be compatible with the Karma.
If I took all of that into consideration, I'd just get a second Solo and mount my D7100 in between them. [emoji12]

I too am gonna go Mavic. I've managed to acquire three Solos and each one has suffered some kind of disfunction/dysfunction. That wouldn't be so bad if the 3DR support team was better. It takes gays or weeks to get a response. For all that I've invested in 3DR I'm gonna get rid of the Solos and get a single Mavic. The probdefinitley outweigh the cons with the lack of customer support and replacement parts becoming more scarce.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986