Getting a Mavic Pro

Reaction score
Decided to upgrade to a Mavic Pro. Still love my solo and going to keep it. Just wanted to have a drone that is a lot more portable as I like to hike and travel. There was so many missed opportunities when I wish I had my Solo available. With the Mavic I can pretty much take with me everywhere I go due to the size. Anyone else have a Mavic Pro in addition with the Solo?

I am considering buying a Mavic for the same reasons..I am contemplating selling my solo..I just don't know because I know there is some cool open source stuff going on and maybe people will one day wish they had kept their Solos..

I am considering buying a Mavic for the same reasons..I am contemplating selling my solo..I just don't know because I know there is some cool open source stuff going on and maybe people will one day wish they had kept their Solos..
If that's the case if you decide to upgrade to a Mavic don't sell the Solo.

I'll be honest, I have two Solos and love them but since I got my Mavic Pro last year I have not used the Solo as much. (Although I did use it this past weekend)

My Mavic is used almost daily. I freaking LOVE that thing. Mostly due to setup/breakdown speed, it's made me lazy.

Plan for the Solos was to use them more for mapping/scanning

Last edited:
Have Phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic Pro and Solo. Had the Phantom well over a year now and its about wore out. Got the Mavic and the Solo one day apart back in February. Fly all three on my days off. I have to say been flying the Solo the most lately as I feel it handles the wind better. I cant go far with the WiFi signal as compared to the DJI lightbridge and Ocusync but for some reason I like flying it.

Last edited:
how do you find the video quality Kneel23 compared to the solo? ive heard the mavic is better

I like not having the fisheye on the Mavic, and just "point and shoot" auto-style the video seems to look brighter in the Mavic. Most good photographers can get <much> better out of the GoPros by manually setting it and using filters or replacing lenses etc

Hard to say though, I'll post some raw comparative footage.

I just ordered my MavicPro and will pick it up tomorrow. I plan to keep my Solo; after all, it costs nothing TO keep it. I plan to fly both, depending on the location and what I'm trying to get out of it. I like to do vacation videos and took my Solo to St. Thomas in February...it was a royal pain having to check the case and whatnot; the Mavic should be a lot easier to transport and it's inaugural trip will be coming up in July!

Slightly off topic, I purchased the GoPro Karma a few weeks ago and kept my remaining Solo. The gimbal grip and relative portability were the deciding factors for me. The setup speed allows me to get more opportunist shots now that I don't have to install blades, ant, a tablet, etc. Just open it up and turn it on.

Reactions: Escobar_TV45
How's DJI's restrictive and draconian updates that prevents folks from flying and some times by mistake? I was thinking about the Mavic but all those restrictions and Apple-like fencing turned me off.
When a friend told me about the Solo I immediately got one. Love the openess and the fact we can update it quite easily. It was enough to sacrifice the portability.
I'll probably get a Mavic one day, or maybe its successor. ;-)

Well... thats why I keep other non-DJI drones handy. But honestly most of those complaints are "fake news" (said in Trump voice). None of the restrictions have affected me and I live in the city right next to major city (Minneapolis/St Paul) airport. Meaning I am within the 5 miles circle and can still fly no problem. The complaints are about a recent firmware update where you have to SIgn-In ONCE only, after updating, or they will restrict you. DJI states very clearly: If you don't like this rule, you can downgrade via their PC/Mac application. So all the bitching and moaning online s rather nonsensical. Everyone using the Mavic daily like myself are still flying just fine with no issues.

Their "restrictions" over 500m altitude is silly, no one should need to be higher than that (1600+ ft) anyway. But for those who know what they are doing - you can get around it with some software mods (coptersafe). That restriction was there for a while though. Also anytime an area gets incorrectly labeled as no-fly zone, DJI fixes it <relatively> quickly.

In short: Still worth it.

Reactions: Solo_Maverick
It funny how "partisan" drone pilots are! If you go on any of these forums, there are folks that HATE another brand! I was just dealing with a GoPro hater the other day. It's worse than Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge in the truck world. Fellas, these are basically toys for grown ups! Settle down!

Well... thats why I keep other non-DJI drones handy. But honestly most of those complaints are "fake news" (said in Trump voice). None of the restrictions have affected me and I live in the city right next to major city (Minneapolis/St Paul) airport. Meaning I am within the 5 miles circle and can still fly no problem. The complaints are about a recent firmware update where you have to SIgn-In ONCE only, after updating, or they will restrict you. DJI states very clearly: If you don't like this rule, you can downgrade via their PC/Mac application. So all the bitching and moaning online s rather nonsensical. Everyone using the Mavic daily like myself are still flying just fine with no issues.

Their "restrictions" over 500m altitude is silly, no one should need to be higher than that (1600+ ft) anyway. But for those who know what they are doing - you can get around it with some software mods (coptersafe). That restriction was there for a while though. Also anytime an area gets incorrectly labeled as no-fly zone, DJI fixes it <relatively> quickly.

In short: Still worth it.

Good to know. That puts a Mavic closer to my future. How about their app collecting user info?

I bought a Dobby earlier this year and deeply regret it. Zerotech screwed-up the little drone big time with patches after patches that did nothing but ruining the flying experience. Worst, they require their app to only be installed in cellphones and it transmits a huge amount of data over the cell network (not the wi-fi with the quad), so probably collecting user info and sending somewhere. Very weird. It also depletes the cellphone battery like crazy and they managed to break several functions that used to work in the beginning. So, mine is now a paper weight.

I'll probably get a Mavic by the end of this year. I heard "Santa is bringing one for me". ;)

I just scored a Mavic for a decent price last night and will be receiving it in a couple of days. I've ordered extra batteries, props, and some filters for it also. I went to the dark side (after only having my Solo finally setup perfectly for two weeks) because after I received the awesome 3DR backpack (which I REALLY like), I knew that taking the Solo to foreign countries just isn't realistic when I ALREADY have a separate backpack for my DSLR; have you seen the size of the 3DR backpack!? Seriously, have you!? I'll be able to slip the Mavic w/RC and three batteries w/a charger in my regular backpack for traveling--that's just not going to happen with the Solo.

I'm only a hobbyist when it comes to photography but I take my gear seriously. I have a wife that over packs for both herself and our 9 y/o daughter so I can't go off using one of the large pieces of luggage for the Solo. Do any of you travel with your Solo's? If so, how do you take it with you? Thanks.

I just scored a Mavic for a decent price last night and will be receiving it in a couple of days. I've ordered extra batteries, props, and some filters for it also. I went to the dark side (after only having my Solo finally setup perfectly for two weeks) because after I received the awesome 3DR backpack (which I REALLY like), I knew that taking the Solo to foreign countries just isn't realistic when I ALREADY have a separate backpack for my DSLR; have you seen the size of the 3DR backpack!? Seriously, have you!? I'll be able to slip the Mavic w/RC and three batteries w/a charger in my regular backpack for traveling--that's just not going to happen with the Solo.

I'm only a hobbyist when it comes to photography but I take my gear seriously. I have a wife that over packs for both herself and our 9 y/o daughter so I can't go off using one of the large pieces of luggage for the Solo. Do any of you travel with your Solo's? If so, how do you take it with you? Thanks.

Yea that was part of my thought process as well. That case is huge! I carried out around while I worked on the road for a few months but it was a pain to transport, to set up, etc. I have a 90 day return on my Karma so I might make a change to the Mavic myself.

Yeah I love mostly all the drone brands. I've learned years ago to tune out BS complaints/reviews from actual informative data. I've always said let everyone else argue over them while I learn to fly <any/all> brands proficiently. Used to be the same 20 years ago with Apple vs Microsoft and Android vs iOS today. Never lock yourself down to one platform/ecosystem, and it pays to actually learn and appreciate them all.

That being said: Because of the Solo's size and setup/GPS-lock time, I typically use my Mavic daily now, and Solo only when time premits

Last edited:
Yeah I love mostly all the drone brands. I've learned years ago to tune out BS complaints/reviews from actual informative data. I've always said let everyone else argue over them while I learn to fly <any/all> brands proficiently. Used to be the same 20 years ago with Apple vs Microsoft and Android vs iOS today. Never lock yourself down to one platform/ecosystem, and it pays to actually learn and appreciate them all.

That being said: Because of the Solo's size and setup/GPS-lock time, I typically use my Mavic daily now, and Solo only when time premits

That's where I am too. I can't beat the set up time with the Karma and I take it everywhere I go. I often tried to bring my solo with me but even when I did, I found myself passing up shots because of time constraints.

I picked up a DJI Spark to compliment my Solo's. It's a fun little platform that has some definite limitations in terms of distance and flight time but you really can't beat the portability. I've found the gesture controls to be quite fun, albeit limited. If price was no object I'd pick the Mavic over the spark simply for the flight times and occusync but the spark is significantly less and it's even functional using just gestures and a mobile device to control it.

I picked up a DJI Spark to compliment my Solo's. It's a fun little platform that has some definite limitations in terms of distance and flight time but you really can't beat the portability. I've found the gesture controls to be quite fun, albeit limited. If price was no object I'd pick the Mavic over the spark simply for the flight times and occusync but the spark is significantly less and it's even functional using just gestures and a mobile device to control it.

I eyeballed that but was afraid the image quality would be too low for my tastes.

Yeah mavic also has gesture and/or mobile device controls as well. Spark just has a lot more gestures that it recognizes. But the Mavic can be flown with JUST your phone/tablet, or with JUST the mavic controller, or with both (typically what everyone does), or even with nothing at all (which is the gestures - From my limited testing its only available once launched and hovering)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000