Flying Solo in Michigan

Reaction score
I just ordered a Solo a few days ago, I should have it soon. I got the $350 deal from Best Buy. It includes an extra battery, gimbal, extra props & carry bag. I've been watching this package for a while & it finally dropped to a price I couldn't resist. This will be my first real drone ... I hope I picked a good one. So I have a few newbie questions:

1) What is the first thing I should do when I get it?
2) Are there any mods that are recommended?
3) Will my Hero 3+ Silver work with the Solo?
4) It is winter here in Michigan. Do I have to wait until spring to fly this thing?

Thanks for any advice or tips for a newbie.

...So I have a few newbie questions:

4) It is winter here in Michigan. Do I have to wait until spring to fly this thing?

1. Read the manual/Comb through this forum/Program the "A" button on the controller to Manual and learn to fly in manual
  2. Plenty that you CAN do - none that are a deal breaker for successful flight.
  3. Allegedly, but more limited than other models like H4B
  4. Folks on this forum fly in cold all the time. Keep your batteries warm. I'm from SW Florida and it was 91 here today so I can speak better about flying in heat.

1) What is the first thing I should do when I get it? Register with the FAA...Seriously.
2) Are there any mods that are recommended? Kind of ready to go out of the box. if you find range to be an issue you can modify that. If you find that it's slow to get gps then you can modify that. Basically use it and if you feel like something is missing/wanted then i'm sure a fix is out there. Its alot of drone for 299 and doubt you'd be disappointed about anything.
3) Will my Hero 3+ Silver work with the Solo? Yes but you'll might lose a couple features also be careful about gopro updates apparently one of them caused issues.
4) It is winter here in Michigan. Do I have to wait until spring to fly this thing? I wouldn't worry much about it. My concern would be condensation building coming from heated house to outside but i'll let someone else comment on that.

I just ordered a Solo a few days ago, I should have it soon. I got the $350 deal from Best Buy. It includes an extra battery, gimbal, extra props & carry bag. I've been watching this package for a while & it finally dropped to a price I couldn't resist. This will be my first real drone ... I hope I picked a good one. So I have a few newbie questions:

Hello nbrege, just wanted to comment on your weather inquiry. While I wouldn't tell anyone when to or not to fly I can share my experience with flying in the cold.I live in Illinois and would assume we have pretty close to the same conditions.

I have many flights logged with temps reporting around 9 degrees f. No issues.
I went out 2 days ago when it's -5, Solo flew fine, but the gimbal was slow to respond and I had intermittent video. I attributed it to the cold. Because I fired everything up once I got inside (remove props, when indoors unless you plan on flying). And everything worked fine. So maybe check specs for GoPro and Solo. Also around 20 degrees and warmer....no issues at all.

Get yourself some touchscreen gloves The Best Touchscreen Winter Gloves
$18 to $70 dollars on this site or Amazon. You can fly and keep your hands warm while making any adjustments on your android screen without removing your gloves. Also keep spare batteries close to your body to keep them warm for longer flight time. Cold kills car batteries, it kills drone batteries too.
OR move to SW Florida... priceless!

Without the bag the price was 299. With the bag it's 350. The bag now is 34, so call and get your price adjustment for the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig