Flight Mode Help...

J R

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post to this forum. I am very new to the Solo, 4-5 minor flights so far. I have been flying a Phantom 2 Vision Plus and a Phantom 3 Pro for some time now. I have hundreds of flights with those birds and have done a great deal of advanced flying. Complicated waypoint and orbit style flying as well.

I'm not having as much luck finding a great deal of info on actually flying the Solo. I have the Solo a GoPro Hero 4 Black, the gimbal and I'm using an Nvidia Shield as my FPV. All of my software and hardware appear to be up to date. I did the new update just a few days ago. I've also taken the battery bay out and rerouted the HDMI cable as per the instructions that you guys have provided on this forum. Thank you!

I can't seem to find the Flight Modes as shown in the Solo Flight School-Advanced settings video. The video shows tapping the "Fly" at the top center of the screen and a menu shows up with Fly, Selfie, Cable Cam, Orbit and Follow. I have tried tapping the "Fly", I have tried holding it down, double tapping, swiping. I can not get that menu to show up for the life of me. I do have advanced flight modes turned on and I have flown a small cable cam and orbit using the A and B buttons. Anybody have any suggestions?

Also, is there any way to cancel a Return Home? I wanted to test it and it appeared to function properly but when it got overhead I wanted to manually take back control. I hit the Fly button and heard a strange sound coming from the bird. I let it continue it's Return Home and landing, which it did without incident. I'd sure like to be able to use that function but cancel it and continue to fly if I choose to. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and thanks for all that you guys do providing information on this forum!

Jerry

Del,

Thanks for the reply. I tried it in the air as well. still can't get it to come up.

Jerry
Go to the advanced settings in the app to activate the advanced flight modes. While in there, assign A or B to manual. This is a safety measure should you see a problem with GPS flight modes. When you go back out of settings you will now see the additional flight modes available. You can now also assign the A/B keys to any flight modes. You can also cancel RTH by tapping the A/B to go to another mode, or also by raising the throttle.

Reactions: Del
Jubalr,

Thanks for trying to help! I have advanced Flight Modes enabled and I can see the available flight modes in the settings and can assign the A/B buttons. I did as you said and assigned B button to Manual. I took it back out and put it in the air. I can use the B button to go to Manual and it does so. I still cannot tap the "Fly" button at the top of the main screen and get a menu of the various flight modes as shown in the Solo video. I've also tried it on 3 different tablets, both Android and IOS. Thanks again,

Jerry

If you mean smart shots those are behind the little movie clapboard icon on the main screen once you hit fly. on android, launch the app, hit fly solo if everything is connected and you are in the air, look for the little clapboard Icon (android is on the bottom left of the screen where you get video feed. Then you will see Selfie, Cable, Orbit and follow me as options.

Jubalr,

Thanks for trying to help! I have advanced Flight Modes enabled and I can see the available flight modes in the settings and can assign the A/B buttons. I did as you said and assigned B button to Manual. I took it back out and put it in the air. I can use the B button to go to Manual and it does so. I still cannot tap the "Fly" button at the top of the main screen and get a menu of the various flight modes as shown in the Solo video. I've also tried it on 3 different tablets, both Android and IOS. Thanks again,

Jerry
Jerry,
You have to tap the controller FLY button. The FLY on the screen is not active. I think the only thing active at the top of the screen is the home icon which when tapped will show you additional information.....mph...Sat#, batt info.
Also for me, If I hit (controller)pause, it will come out of manual mode and go back into Fly mode.

You got it Pyrate! Thank you very much. You'd have thought I would have at least tapped that thing to see what it was! Lot's to learn!

Jerry

You got it Pyrate! Thank you very much. You'd have thought I would have at least tapped that thing to see what it was! Lot's to learn!

Jerry
What about the other flight modes? Can you see them?

Ray,

Thanks for jumping in. Pyrate got me going!

"If I hit (controller)pause, it will come out of manual mode and go back into Fly mode"

That's good to know, my first "manual" landing was not very pretty! Lot's to learn Brother!

Jerry

Reactions: Raybro
yeah practice with fly only for a while.
Then find a big old open field and learn to fly manual
that is what I am doing, have not even tried anything more radical than that. dont plan to ever use acro, had I wanted a performance bird I might have gone a different path

Pyrate,

Yeah, don't think I'm going to be using acro anytime soon! I won't do much manual either until I get a lot more education on how this thing flies. I'm so familiar with all of the Phantom failsafe stuff and this is going to be a whole different animal. Thanks again for your help.

Jerry

No problem at all, have a blast
I only set my RTH altitude to make sure I dont hit anything coming home. I did use home a lot in the beginning but now find it more fun to fly it home on my own.
I do have manual mapped to my A button but almost never use it.
One reason I added manual was so I could fly under and around things where I might lose GPS. You have to be careful to set your RTH location and altitude when flying under things. Else if you fly under a tree and lose GPS it will climb to the RTH altitude right up into the tree. Learned the hard way there. Now when I want to fly under something, set the RTH altitude as low as you need and keep fly handy to take back over quick.

Ray,

Thanks for jumping in. Pyrate got me going!

"If I hit (controller)pause, it will come out of manual mode and go back into Fly mode"

That's good to know, my first "manual" landing was not very pretty! Lot's to learn Brother!

Jerry
Hey! Just glad to see you on here. I've been told by others to hit Fly but that's not how mine works.

I use fly to come out of manual mode back to fly. Works everytime. So my A button is mapped to fly manual. if I am humming along and want to go back to full automatic flight I just hit fly.
Same for RTH, in the beginning I would always hit home and let the copter get close to home and hit fly to about RTH and land it myself.
Now I rarely use RTH I just fly it home on my own. But if I loose controller or hit a limit and the drone goes into a safety measure like RTH i use fly to regain control.

Just be careful, if you press and hold fly, it will land right where it is.

Reactions: Russ Knight
Thanks for the info! This is the kind of stuff that can be hard to find. A lot nicer to get it from people that have been successfully using certain procedures. Too windy to do any flying here today.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150