First Recommended Upgrades for Solo

Reaction score
Hello,

I got my Solo not long after it first came out, hence I paid an extortionate price for it. I only flew it once and a while and maybe did 6 flights, then it sat in the closet. We originally bought the Solo not a DJI for the camera and the customization that you could do to the drone itself. I got kind of scared when 3DR was in a sticky patch but now, with a few update issues, I am now in the air again. After about 20 flights and figuring out all the settings again, I wouldn't mind a few upgrades. I came here (the best and only place mind you) to get a bit of help on that. I'm fifteen and pretty game for any sort of thing, but where should I start to make upgrades?

If it’s working fine, I wouldn’t worry about “electronic” upgrades too much. Most of those upgrades are to fix problems.

I like the Master Airscrew props better than stock- they are a littler quieter and their sound isn’t as annoying as stock.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
For the most part the GPS is fine, but its definitely not as stable as i'd like it to be. It has also flipped a few times when landing. I haven't really looked into props too much, so i'll check those out. I might give both the GPS and the props a try. Any thing to improve the performance.

Also, do you have any recommendations for landing issue? It starts to sway and take the drift of the wind, but it hasn't lost GPS. So that really baffles me. When it starts drifting i bring it down to ground level and try and land but when i'm landing is the issue. One leg catches and then the thing flips upside down. It maybe just my inexperience, so i may just practice take off and landing in Manual, that might be the best option.

Thanks for your help

Upgrade to OpenSolo v3.0.0, it incorporates a fixed version of 3DR's SiteScan firmware which has far better landing detection. I've yet to flip a Solo that I put on SiteScan/OpenSolo upon landing. Did it twice on OEM Solo 1.3x firmware.

Second Maddog on the MAS propellers.

I think stacking the OEM GPS shield and getting the 3DR V2 shield is an easy upgrade and well-worth doing. I've run two RevA Solos for two years with that and get excellent reception and lock, typically below 0.9 HDOP at altitude.

mRo and HERE are obviously far superior GPSs, and the OEM RevB isn't horrible either, though I honestly don't see much difference between my RevB with stacked shields and my RevA units with stacked shields.

For the most part the GPS is fine, but its definitely not as stable as i'd like it to be. It has also flipped a few times when landing. I haven't really looked into props too much, so i'll check those out. I might give both the GPS and the props a try. Any thing to improve the performance.

Also, do you have any recommendations for landing issue? It starts to sway and take the drift of the wind, but it hasn't lost GPS. So that really baffles me. When it starts drifting i bring it down to ground level and try and land but when i'm landing is the issue. One leg catches and then the thing flips upside down. It maybe just my inexperience, so i may just practice take off and landing in Manual, that might be the best option.

Thanks for your help
Most people switch to “MANUAL” to land to prevent issues with the GPS signal causing problems close to the ground.

I always take off and land in manual for that reason.

You really need to practice takeoff/landing in manual as well as flying in general. If the automation ever fails, you need to be able to fly Solo in manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Alpha antennas are cheap and helped me improve my flight range. I have heard that angering them down also helps a little as well.

Anybody aware of other option to get more range distance?

Anything that can be easily installing into Solo?

thx

Alpha antennas are cheap and helped me improve my flight range. I have heard that angering them down also helps a little as well.

Anybody aware of other option to get more range distance?

Anything that can be easily installing into Solo?

thx
I think you should do whatever you can to avoid making your equipment mad..:oops:

Reactions: Johnhi30

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig