First impression of Solo

This was the first computer I ever owned:
digicomp.jpg

Minds-On Toys - Kits

Maybe when I was 8 or to years old?

You programmed I by placing small pieces of a straw on each peg (see the violet pegs) as needed.
Believe it or not, I still have this somewhere in my home, some 50ish years later!

I've a decade more than you in this stuff, so I'm sure we could tell some stories!

The first coding I ever did was with a 1 MHZ 6800 that had 1 or 2KB of RAM, not GHz but MHz, and not MB but KB! Kids today can't appreciate what they have at their fingertips, and I'm sure that their kids will say the same thing to their children!

Ha - takes me back. I used to work at Bally Pinball, Chicago starting in 1977 and we used the Motorola 6800 @ 500KHz, with 128 bytes of RAM, and 2K / 4K or 8K of EPROM depending upon the game requirements. My college project was a hand-wired 6502 processor with TV display and cassette interface. I'm trying to teach my nephews embedded C programming on little 8-bit micros that run circles around these older parts...

Yes, amazing where we have come! A few months ago, I was helping a friend's high school son with a Basic on a STAMP computer. Pretty neat stuff! I wish it was that easy back then!

I also remember using the 6502! :)

Heck, I remember back when we 1st started using warp drive. Boy did we have some anti-matter boo-boos!

Oops, wrong forum, sorry..:oops:

Reactions: Jubalr
I don't know if it's the best, but I installed the M8N. I'm happy with it- faster acquisition and normally get 16- 20 sats. I know this doesn't necessarily mean "better" but it works for me. Here's the YouTube mod. video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I would love to do this upgrade on my Solo but would be frightened to death I would ruin something. If there is anyone in the Maryland Virginia DC area that does that kind of thing let me know. I would like to get it done and don't mind paying. Thanks

I would love to do this upgrade on my Solo but would be frightened to death I would ruin something. If there is anyone in the Maryland Virginia DC area that does that kind of thing let me know. I would like to get it done and don't mind paying. Thanks

Too far away to help, but hopefully someone close will step up. Anyway, as you may already know the link you're referencing was for upgrading the wifi transceivers in the Solo and transmitter. The same guy posted another video showing how to replace the stock GPS with the m8n unit. The link to that video is:

Too far away to help, but hopefully someone close will step up. Anyway, as you may already know the link you're referencing was for upgrading the wifi transceivers in the Solo and transmitter. The same guy posted another video showing how to replace the stock GPS with the m8n unit. The link to that video is:

I've got this sitting on my work bench & am debating on whether or not to install. Before my SOLO's 1st take to the sky's, I did the cardboard modify. SOLO has never had a problem connecting SATS @ good time rates. I always fly manual @ or below 75'. My area has lots of trees. SAT lock is in & out quite a bit when under heavy canopy, of course. And SOLO handles so beautifully graceful in the most tight spaces. I haven't read of too many mods w/the mini 8 GPS/GLONASS. So I guess it will go into another kit. SOLO doesn't need it.

Reactions: Maddog
I've got this sitting on my work bench & am debating on whether or not to install. Before my SOLO's 1st take to the sky's, I did the cardboard modify. SOLO has never had a problem connecting SATS @ good time rates. I always fly manual @ or below 75'. My area has lots of trees. SAT lock is in & out quite a bit when under heavy canopy, of course. And SOLO handles so beautifully graceful in the most tight spaces. I haven't read of too many mods w/the mini 8 GPS/GLONASS. So I guess it will go into another kit. SOLO doesn't need it.
Good point- if it ain't broke... well you know.

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc