first flight

Reaction score
hi there finally got all my bits and pieces together(solo/ gimbal and gopro) and took it for its 1st flight. powered everything up then it went into update mode that went smoothly then it told me to move solo away from metel objects which was weird as it was in the local soccer field. then went into calibration mode. eventually i got it to take off no fancy flying just cruising around maybe 20m off the ground did a couple fly by's of where i was standing then tried to fly to the other side of the field when it got about 30-40m away from me and it powered up flipped over and crashed into the ground. so i took it home and everything seems ok just some dirt on the props. not sure what caused this or why it happened. im only using a gopro 3 black i couldnt get a live feed to record on my iphone 6s. and had no control of the gimbal. any help would be greatly appreciated

Hmmm. Very odd. Can't give you much help other than to point out that the mag interference could be pipes under the field. If it was an artificial turf field, then there is definetly metal below.

Probably a good idea to do the level and compass calibration. Just make sure you do the level calibration on a perfectly level surface.

its a real grass field in a country town. there maybe pipes underneath im not sure how the field is watered. but when i got home and sent through the flight data to 3dr it requested a level calibration

finally recieved a reply from solo:

Thank you for sending the logs but unfortunately none of them show any flight information, since the app only sends the three latest logs the one containing the flight in questions got overwritten by an empty log if you turned your SOLO on and off after the incident. In this case I would need to ask for the logs stored in the controller in order to search for the crash log.

i thought the logs were sent from the controller as the log i watched on mission planner showed soething im not sure but it was definetly something

They're stored on both solo and the controller. What he is saying is you need to manually retrieve the logs from the controller. The controller holds many logs, but only the last 3 are sent automatically. The last 3 on your controller aren't the ones needed, so you need to manually get them and send them in. There are several threads with video examples showing how to retrieve the logs. Don't forget that each time you power your solo on, it creates a new log file whether you fly or not, so try to keep it to a minimum. The logs you'd want would probably be quite a bit larger in filesize than the others. So look for one of the more recent ones that is large. It might be the date of your flight, but the time might be off since solo stores files in UTC date format and not your local time. You could figure it out by going to Current local time in (UTC/GMT) or something.

mate the logs that were sent straight after the crash when i got home i didnt try to fly again as i didnt want to risk another brutal crash like that. i think its more like there trying to deny the roll over and crash incidents. as i flew it the next day at a different location in 41mph winds and it was fine. and ive flown it about 4-5 times more till the battery has run out at different locations and not a single problem

If you have a cell phone in your pocket, it may affect your calibration.

i was using cellphone as my monitor. i have a saved tlog file but how do i upload it to here

but when you replay it you actually see the artificial horizon flip which is at the exact time that the crash happened

but when you replay it you actually see the artificial horizon flip which is at the exact time that the crash happened
There is a lean at the beginning, but that was probably when you set it down. At no time in the log do I see where the motors arm and start rotating and never draws more than 1.5a. There is something interesting at about 1:31. It appears you do a level calibration. However, unless I am mistaken, you reversed the nose-up nose-down part which could definitely cause a problem. I'm not near my Solo to check, but I'm thinking the level routine is level, left, right, down, up, inverted. In your routine you went nose up first then nose down, which would likely throw off the IMU.

There is a lean at the beginning, but that was probably when you set it down. At no time in the log do I see where the motors arm and start rotating and never draws more than 1.5a. There is something interesting at about 1:31. It appears you do a level calibration. However, unless I am mistaken, you reversed the nose-up nose-down part which could definitely cause a problem. I'm not near my Solo to check, but I'm thinking the level routine is level, left, right, down, up, inverted. In your routine you went nose up first then nose down, which would likely throw off the IMU.
i didnt do a calibration till after when i got it home and sent the log off to 3dr and it requested a level calibration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150