Filter gurus, what would you use...

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Polar Pro ND filters, 8, 16, 32, polarized and polarized 8 and 16.

What would you recommend to accentuate the misty clouds while reducing the sun blowing them out? In just the right conditions, we get these clouds rising off a local river in the mornings when the air is cold and the water still warm. Pretty soon, the water will cool off and we won't get these until next year. They burn off as soon as the sun starts rising, so I get maybe 15 to 20 minutes before they're gone.

If anyone could offer any advice on a good filter to start with, I'd appreciate it. Just want to make the most of them while they're here. Would a polarizing filter reduce the visibility of the clouds or accentuate them?

Thanks.

This is just straight from the camera, didn't bother tweaking it since the blown out areas ruin it. This was with ProTune on, flat colors, spot metering off, and I think EV comp at -1.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
That's going to be a sweet shot. I only have the 3-Pack of Polar Pro filters, but if I'm pointing right into the sunrise like that I use the darkest one I have with good results. Polar Pro 16.

16 nd would be my first thought. I have not tested but read somewhere that circular polarizers are more effective at 90 degree angles to the sun

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It takes so long to get up there, record some, land and swap filters, I wanted to at least have good idea what would work. I'll post the video next chance I get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc