FAA's Registration Requirement for Hobby Drones Shot Down by US Court of Appeals

I think that falls under Letter A...

Ha!

It could be argued that it might also fall under B, what with how the media often acts as the propaganda arm of the government these days. But that's another discussion entirely! :p

I still don't get it I guess. All humans are responsible for their actions, regardless of laws, insurance, rules, regulations, whatever! For instance, If I go out in my yard and throw a frisby and it hits my neighbor in the eye, I'm responsible. Same if it hits his window and breaks it, I'm responsible, or if my lawn mower chucks a rock that causes some kind of damage. NO laws, rules or regulations are going to effect that. So, what's all the who-ha about?

Frisbees are different than drones. They cannot be operated remotely and far less likely to cause death or serious injury. They cannot crash and cause injury or damage miles away from an anonymous owner/operator.

Im impressed that a non-lawyer privateer can take on the federal government and win. But, like others here, I question what he really accomplished and whether the ruling was in hobbyists' best interests.

State and local legislators (and general public) want to know if someone causes injury or damage with a drone, they can be identified and held responsible. Does anyone really think they have right to fly and crash 2.5lb+ drone anonymously?

Just like others here have said, my fear is that state and local legislators may come up with far more stringent rules than FAA. The devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

A: Irresponsible idiots.
B: Lawmakers needing to justify their existence.
C: Paranoid citizens who desire government to protect them from any and all harm.

That's pretty much it. Put those 3 things together, and you'll get an innocuous hobby regulated out of existence.

This ruling did not involve lawmakers or legislation. It involved a regulation promulgated by the FAA which the court determined fell outside Congress' statutory delegation of authority to the FAA. Not a hard problem for Congress to fix if they want to.

Im big fan of hobby. But, I think its unreasonable for people to insist on flying 2.5+ lb drone anonymously allowing them to walk away from a crash or fly away with zero accountability.

you are correct, but I am guessing there will be legislation now, and it wont be pretty

This ruling did not involve lawmakers or legislation. It involved a regulation promulgated by the FAA which the court determined fell outside Congress' statutory delegation of authority to the FAA. Not a hard problem for Congress to fix if they want to.

Im big fan of hobby. But, I think its unreasonable for people to insist on flying 2.5+ lb drone anonymously allowing them to walk away from a crash or fly away with zero accountability.

Yes, it's the difference of regulation versus legislation. Regulation is not as difficult because it doesn't have to go through the arduous, sometimes partisan, debate in Congress. Legislation is much more difficult, unless there is some catastrophic event that unites Congress to act. Let's hope that doesn't happen. As for regulation, I could see DHS somehow stepping in to fill the void at the Federal level. I don't want that to happen, either. DHS will look to suppress drones under the guise of "national security." Local communities will want to ban drones for "public safety." The FAA really is only interested in ensuring that those that fly do so in a safe manner. I'm not cheering for the overruling of the registration process. If anyone is going to regulate hobby drones, I want that to be the FAA.

Reactions: User Name
registration was only for accountability of your actions, if something would happen. They would like to set examples of people that do not follow rules. I did not like the reg. program,,,, what to fly my 8 oz. drone! come on. Now if I was flying a 10+lb. then maybe have you do registration. I do not have a good answer,,, I am going flying in my Ultralight A/C
No REGISTRATION for it.

I bought my bird in April and Amazon told me that it is required to register with the FAA
Did I waste $25 for a 3 year registration? Lmao

I bought my bird in April and Amazon told me that it is required to register with the FAA
Did I waste $25 for a 3 year registration? Lmao

Something is off there. FAA registration was one time $5.00 per person fee. Maybe you signed up for AMA? Either that or Amazon Prime!

And as others have suggested, that is not from the FAA. You got scammed. You paid a private company $25 to pay the $5 on your behalf.

Sure. Look at your screenshot you just posted. See that email. See where it's not from the FAA. You got scammed. You paid someone else $25. And you didn't do it on the official faa website. Sorry.

You mean this one? sUAS Registration

The same one that everyone else here that registered used to register. Paying a one time $5 fee. Like is widely published and stated literally everywhere. You got scammed.

treesmokingdroneflyingguy, don't be upset with posters here, we're just pointing out you got sucked into an unnecessary service. It's only $20, don't let it sour you on enjoying flying. We all got duped in the end, as we all paid for a registration we now don't need. Enjoy flying your Solo!

Due to my job, I conceded during the initial free registration period. So I paid $0. But ya, what a waste.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela