Member Communication

AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Thursday, December 17, 2015
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council

Unless AMA has bigger balls then the FAA, then it's just going to be loud talk that ends in a whisper.

The AMA didn't directly say what's there complaint is about?
FAA isn't going to retract anything that they like "Policing Drones"

Besides a new tool for terrorist, Some home grown Nuts O's can use them for lot's of bad thing's "Not listing due to giving anyone evil idea's"

Unless AMA & it's members have deep, i mean Deep pockets, then FAA will do what ever it deems fit.

If i ever thought Drones would be such a Federal, Local & state issue, I would have found a new hobby.

Reactions: John N Kronyak III
i think ama is just blowing smoke up our asses.
ama does not have the clout that they think they have.
i will be regestering my drones as soon as it comes available.
i suggest everyone else do the same.

I am with you Dirby. Registering our drones is not near as bad as what they could have come up with for us. I know this is probably just a first step, and we can probably expect more down the line, but it could have been a lot worse.

I would agree with the AMA for the following facts. Paragraph 3 of the above letter says a lot as to what actions are taking place which could turn this whole event around 180 degrees. The U.S. Court of Appeals has issued an abeyance on the "special interpretation" issued by the FAA and which creates the entire basis for their argument. It won't hurt anything to wait and let the wheels of our legal system churn away to a decision. I for one will wait until the last day before I sign up for an illegal act. Don't waive your rights away too easily.

Reactions: Maddog and ronbo
I would agree with the AMA for the following facts. Paragraph 3 of the above letter says a lot as to what actions are taking place which could turn this whole event around 180 degrees. The U.S. Court of Appeals has issued an abeyance on the "special interpretation" issued by the FAA and which creates the entire basis for their argument. It won't hurt anything to wait and let the wheels of our legal system churn away to a decision. I for one will wait until the last day before I sign up for an illegal act. Don't waive your rights away too easily.
I too wonder why so many are in such a rush to give up their rights. Don't forget- this is the "obama FAA". The most lawless regime in modern history.
"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"- a wise man.

spacer.gif
Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Thursday, December 17, 2015
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
A voice of reason. Thank You.

Reactions: Nevada Rocks
Unless AMA has bigger balls then the FAA, then it's just going to be loud talk that ends in a whisper.

The AMA didn't directly say what's there complaint is about?
FAA isn't going to retract anything that they like "Policing Drones"

Besides a new tool for terrorist, Some home grown Nuts O's can use them for lot's of bad thing's "Not listing due to giving anyone evil idea's"

Unless AMA & it's members have deep, i mean Deep pockets, then FAA will do what ever it deems fit.

If i ever thought Drones would be such a Federal, Local & state issue, I would have found a new hobby.
Any time some new hobby becomes popular...Regs, Regs ,Regs.And then the taxes will come.

Someone posted a legal opinion that registering a person is not legal for the FAA to do. They are supposed to only register aircraft (I'm paraphrasing here), not people. I could be interpreting his info wrong so here's the link:

#DontRegisterYourDrone hashtag on Twitter

Someone posted a legal opinion that registering a person is not legal for the FAA to do. They are supposed to only register aircraft (I'm paraphrasing here), not people. I could be interpreting his info wrong so here's the link:

#DontRegisterYourDrone hashtag on Twitter
Isn't the FAA registering the drone, not you? Your information is provided as the drone owner, same as an aircraft.

Besides, a legal opinion posted by "someone" us worthless. Most legal opinions are worthless because the are only opinions.

Isn't the FAA registering the drone, not you? Your information is provided as the drone owner, same as an aircraft.
No, the current registration process does NOT register drones. It only registers people. The entire registration process never asks anything about your drone(s) or even if you own one. The "UAS Certificate Number" is issued to you by name, which makes you a "Certificate Holder". Nothing is issued for (or recorded by the FAA about) your drone(s). Goofy, isn't it?

No, the current registration process does NOT register drones. It only registers people. The entire registration process never asks anything about your drone(s) or even if you own one. The "UAS Certificate Number" is issued to you by name, which makes you a "Certificate Holder". Nothing is issued for (or recorded by the FAA about) your drone(s). Goofy, isn't it?
It's beyond goofy- I found another thread after posting here that said the same thing.
I discovered this "regulation" is 212 pages long- it had to be passed before we were allowed to know what was in it. Thanks Nancy..

Reactions: Nevada Rocks
It's beyond goofy- I found another thread after posting here that said the same thing.
I discovered this "regulation" is 212 pages long- it had to be passed before we were allowed to know what was in it. Thanks Nancy..
like in.
Polosie?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig