Edison EOL

Users of the Emlid Reach, Reach RS, Drotek SMARTNAV products as well as Proficnc Pixhawk 2.1 Carrier Boards should be aware that Intel has announced EOL for Edison modules and their related dev kits.

Intel Discontinues Joule, Galileo, And Edison Product Lines

How this announcement will effect the above product lines remains to be seen.
Wow I wonder whats next? Kind of disappointing but TBO the new pixhawk 2.1 holds its own without Intel, open source rules period....... or maybe I'm missing something .......

A companion computer and the pixhawk are doing totally different things actually. The Solo's IMX is a companion computer, far more powerful than a small Edison, but the concept is the same. It does a ton of stuff that the pixhawk does not, should not, and could not do.

A companion computer and the pixhawk are doing totally different things actually. The Solo's IMX is a companion computer, far more powerful than a small Edison, but the concept is the same. It does a ton of stuff that the pixhawk does not, should not, and could not do.

Yes correct, Intel Aero is interesting but what other companion computers besides solo's IMX and Intel's Edison's are available for the new Pixhawk? Besides a Raspberry pie or ArduinoType setup..

Last edited:
Several other boards are out there. APSync — Dev documentation. ArduPilot companion computer development is very new so nothing is actually complete yet. It has a lot of growing to do. So boards are naturally going to come and go through the process.

Reactions: XevetS
I have a feeling Intel may be departing this sector. So boards other than intel may be the future.

wow my two edisons just stopped working, wont boot up or run scripts
Not
They are Linux computers, not like they were going to be updated. Nor do they need to be. They will run tomorrow just as sure as the sun will rise meaning they did not suddenly lose value
Reminds me of all the doomsters when 3DR left the consumer market
Solo is better off today than it was when 3DR was in the game

Users of the Emlid Reach, Reach RS, Drotek SMARTNAV products as well as Proficnc Pixhawk 2.1 Carrier Boards should be aware that Intel has announced EOL for Edison modules and their related dev kits.

Intel Discontinues Joule, Galileo, And Edison Product Lines

How this announcement will effect the above product lines remains to be seen.
Edison was the least powerful computer that is compatible with pixhawk
IMX6,7,8
Odroid
Raspberry X
Nvidea at least three of them

It is a companion computer, the flight controller and GPS will not suffer one bit

Not predicting gloom or doom, but without a supply of Edisons, the products I mentioned will have to evolve to deal with the situation. There are no pin compatible replacements, Intel has no migration route, no successor in either form or function. The PixHawk2.1 carrier board does not require an Edison for operation, so it will be the least effected of the bunch. Reach, ReachRS and SmartNav rely on the embedded Edison for compute resources. Those products are in need of redesign to survive.

False
most companion computers besides the Edison are connected through a serial port on the carrier
the only thing it might impact are the Edison specific carrier boards
I have one, but planned to pull the Edison out of it and hook my IMX6 to serial 2

I'm talking about products, not just hobbyist flight controllers.
The only flight control hardware on my list is the Pixhawk2.1 carrier board. One version has an Edison connector. I'm sure you can hack in something else, it might not be pretty. What will ProfiCNC do?
The Reach and ReachRS are GNSS RTK receivers. Both have embedded Edisons and are not flight controllers. Of course their embedded software can be ported to other platforms, I have done this with their ReachView python code already.
The ReachRS Reach RS – Emlid is an all in one GNSS RTK Receiver and not a hobbyist device, replacing the Edison inside will require some serious re-design of the device.
The Reach Reach — Emlid is a single board GNSS RTK receiver and also requires the Edison to do the real time processing. It uses RTKLIB to compute real time kinematic solutions. Of course Edison is not the only platform to be able to do this, but the Reach is such a small form factor that Emlid will need to do something creative to replace the Edison and keep the same size. Someone on their forum has asked what they are going to do, but as yet to receive a response.
The Drotek SmartNav SMARTNAV RTK - Drotek SAS is also a GNSS RTK receiver with an embedded Edison. What will Drotek do? (this product doesn't seem to be available any more, so they might not do anything)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig