Dual Antenna Definition?

Reaction score
I am looking for what each antenna is for or how the dual antennas are utilized on the controller. Is one Transmit and one Receive? If so which is which?

I am wondering the same thing. I am not sure if we have one 2.4 GHz antenna for the control and one 5 GHz antenna for the video feed.
On the Solo Specsheet, they only say 2.4 GHz. I assume we have 2x2.4 GHz antenna on the transmitter. And they look like 2 dBi antenna.
Well, I ordered 2x8 dBi Omnidirectionnel TP-LINK antenna in 2.4 GHz from amazon yesterday. Without changing the Tx Power, that little 20$ upgrade should boost the distance from 0.8 Km to 1.5 Km

Yes, Solo uses two 2.4 GHz antennas. It appears to be that the controller has an 802.11n (Wi-Fi) access point in it, and the Solo aircraft and tablet or phone both connect via the same Wi-Fi link.

802.11n is based on Multiple Input-Multiple Output (MIMO) radio technology, which requires two or more antennas. Each antenna is transmitting a separate "stream" of bits on the same frequency. Through the magic of MIMO signal processing, these streams do not interfere with each other, but often they double the capacity of the link. The reason I say "often double" is that it is somewhat dependent on the radio propagation environment.

All of the Wi-Fi standards are "Time Division Duplex," or TDD. This means that they rapidly switch between transmit and receive, and use the same antennas for both transmit and receive.

As a rule of thumb, every time you add 6 dB of additional antenna gain, you should double the distance the signal can travel (other things being equal). 3DR doesn't tell us the gain of the stock antennas, but based on their size, I would guess that they probably produce about 2 or 3 dBi of gain.

Looking forward to your field report with those new 8 dBi antennas.

Yes, Solo uses two 2.4 GHz antennas. It appears to be that the controller has an 802.11n (Wi-Fi) access point in it, and the Solo aircraft and tablet or phone both connect via the same Wi-Fi link.

802.11n is based on Multiple Input-Multiple Output (MIMO) radio technology, which requires two or more antennas. Each antenna is transmitting a separate "stream" of bits on the same frequency. Through the magic of MIMO signal processing, these streams do not interfere with each other, but often they double the capacity of the link. The reason I say "often double" is that it is somewhat dependent on the radio propagation environment.

All of the Wi-Fi standards are "Time Division Duplex," or TDD. This means that they rapidly switch between transmit and receive, and use the same antennas for both transmit and receive.

As a rule of thumb, every time you add 6 dB of additional antenna gain, you should double the distance the signal can travel (other things being equal). 3DR doesn't tell us the gain of the stock antennas, but based on their size, I would guess that they probably produce about 2 or 3 dBi of gain.

Very nice explanation. Thanks for the info!

You are mostly correct. The 2 antennas are for FULL DUPLEX thats what you were looking for. A while back I swept the factory antennas i will post the pic again. Basically With higher gain antennas your changing the pattern of radiation, often times with a higher gain antenna your hurting the system as "gain" just does'nt come out of thin air, it simply focuses the beam to a narrower beam. You will have to experiment with orientation of the whips. As far as the factory whips, best at CH13 which isn't available in N. America. SOLO uses CH 6 and 11.

Attachments

• WiFi Antenna Sweep.png
    WiFi Antenna Sweep.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: jhalls
You are mostly correct. The 2 antennas are for FULL DUPLEX thats what you were looking for. A while back I swept the factory antennas i will post the pic again. Basically With higher gain antennas your changing the pattern of radiation, often times with a higher gain antenna your hurting the system as "gain" just does'nt come out of thin air, it simply focuses the beam to a narrower beam. You will have to experiment with orientation of the whips. As far as the factory whips, best at CH13 which isn't available in N. America. SOLO uses CH 6 and 11.

Exactly. That's explain why we don't have Omnidirectional antenna with more than 9-10 dBi. Passed that number, the beam is so narrow we have to call it Directional antenna.

Well, I don't like the idea of installing one Omni and one Directional antenna if the Solo remote is not made to choose the best signal? If I don't aim the drone, I don't want to loose the connection. I know I will not go as far as some youtube videos with one Alfa Directional antenna, but at least I will have 2 Omni "equally" transmitting/receiving if I don't aim perfectly my Solo.

Yup you should be fine. Just remember its a doughnut shape pattern so the NULL zone will be off the tips of the antennas!

Have fun! Let us know what your ranges are.

I didn't know where to post this, but it's very interesting if you want to make some range simulation:
http://www.afar.net/rf-link-budget-calculator/

Compute: Fade Margin
Frequency: 2400MHz
Tx Power: 21 dBm (Found that info on another Thread)
Tx cable loss: 0,4 dB (Pcb loss, etc)
Tx Antenna Gain: 2 dBi

Distance: 0,8 Km (Based on 3DR specsheet)

Rcv Antenna Gain: ??? A friend told me that the Fade Margin is supposed to be around 22 dB. Will make sense if we put 8 dBi
Rcv Cable Loss: 0,4 dB
Rcv Sensitivity: -90 dBm (Usually...)

Then, Compute Distance and see what happen if you change Tx Antenna Gain or if you change your WiFi card with more Tx Power.

Let me know if you have any more accurate informations!

I have a 25dbi flat panel antenna that I used when wardriving a long time ago. I had it replaced the antenna of a USB Alfa AWUS036H wifi adapter. Would this antenna work to extend the range of the controller?

I have a 25dbi flat panel antenna that I used when wardriving a long time ago. I had it replaced the antenna of a USB Alfa AWUS036H wifi adapter. Would this antenna work to extend the range of the controller?
Your English is very broken. Your question is not very clear. Do you want to use a Flat Panel or the 2-5dbi Antenna from the USB Alfa ?

One thing to keep in mind that while all are changing the transmitter antennas the Solo antennas are remaining the same

boy, it is indeed poorly written (sorry about that). For wardriving, I removed the stock antenna of the alpha and replaced it with the 25dbi flat panel. This worked very well. So, I assume I can also remove one of the antenna of the solo receiver and plug my panel instead. The only issue is that the panel will have to be on its tripod because of the size and weight and off course, it is directional.

You can put any 2.4ghz antennas you want on the controller. Now what you're describing would be like strapping the deflector dish from the Enterprise to it. Awkward, difficult to move, highly directional like a laser beam. Doesn't seem useful

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44